Things That Irritate You On the Course?

Violence is the answer!

As a courtesy I yell at the slow playing group first, mostly curse words and raunchy innuendos, especially if they are women. When this does not work then I bring the fury, especially if they are women.

One time I called the clubhouse and they sent somebody out to speed them along right away. I felt bad that I had to do it, but the three shots I hit into them only slightly injured a straggler. Not enough to get them to pick up the pace.

As a courtesy I yell at the slow playing group first, mostly curse words and raunchy innuendos, especially if they are women. When this does not work then I bring the fury, especially if they are women.

Wait.. you play where women are allowed to play..pfftt.

Someone needs to work on their accuracy.

One time I called the clubhouse and they sent somebody out to speed them along right away. I felt bad that I had to do it, but the three shots I hit into them only slightly injured a straggler. Not enough to get them to pick up the pace.

Its easy to fix with slow play in front of you or behind you. Behind you if you see better golfers playing right on your arse just let em play through, if they cant play through explain the situation. If your a 3 some and your playing on the butts of a double and they dont exercise gentleman golf etiquette you simply drop a tee ball on em, they will get the message.

I can't. I want too but I can't.

So, does anyone LIKE slow play? I didn't think so. It annoys all of us, particularly when we can see how the group in front of us is wasting time.

But, I get more rattled by the problem pointed out by the OP, which is aggressively FAST play when the course is backed up. No one has ever accused me of being a slow player, although with the swing changes I have made this past year my pre-shot routine has become a little complex (too many practice swings). But I really cannot stand having a group pushing me from behind when I know my group is keeping pace with the guys in front of us.

A few weeks ago I was paired up with a twosome of Seniors on a course that is notorious for getting bogged down on the back nine. There are some tough holes there and groups tend to pile up on each other. The guys I was paired with insisted on playing as fast as possible to stay on the rear of the people in front of us. When I asked them what the hurry was, they said "We need to keep pressure on them to speed up". The group in front of did take a long time to hit their balls, but they were keeping pace with the other groups.

If you know for sure that there is an opening ahead of the group in front of you, then I can see trying to encourage them to let you play through. But if the course is busy, just play your game and try to be patient.

On a par 4, I won't tee off until the group in front of me has moved on to the green. If they have one guy who is hitting his third shot from 125 out, I'm not going to tee off just because my buddies say "You can't reach him." What's the point? We're still going to have to wait for their group to putt out before we play our second shots. I can wait on the tee now, or wait on the fairway later, and I would rather wait until the fairway is clear so I'm not thinking about the guys in front of me. I'm sure they would prefer not to have my drive land within 25 yards of them, too.

But that logic didn't work on the guys I was paired with a few weeks ago. If I wouldn't hit, they would go ahead and tee up a ball and hit. They also kept complaining about the number of practice swings the guys in front of us would take before topping a ball 30 yards forward. That's a legitimate complaint, I guess, but it made me extremely self-conscious about my previously mentioned pre-shot routine. If I took more than 2 practice swings, I felt this enormous pressure to make a good shot.

amen to the above

Along with this, ROCKS IN THE SAND TRAPS! I pay money to play golf, not scratch the ever loving crap out of my sand wedge.
There's a course around here, that, against the rules as it may be, I won't hit a shot from any of their "bunkers". They're either filled with rocks, or hardpacked so it's like hitting off concrete.

Swing advice guys with "magic cures" are incredibly annoying. They ranked number one on Golf Digest's list of most annoying playing partners.
I had some guy that worked at the golf course give me some advice to "fix that slice you've got" which was infact going to the left! How do you work at a golf course, and not know the difference between a hook and a slice? hahah

And on the courses being more expensive than they should front, there's the main course here charges $35-40 a round on the weekend, waaay overpriced. The best courses I've played around here have been 20-25! Gotta love it!

I can deal with most things, but sunflower seeds being spat on the greens (and anywhere else) bothers me to no end. There is one course in my neck of the woods that will ban you for life if they catch you with seeds on the course.

I agree 1000% and the smokers that just drop their butts on the grass.
Put them in the garbage, your cart, your drink can, eat them, I don't care. Just don't drop them on my golf course!

Oh...and I hate double bogeys !

So I can't input my score into oob on my iPhone? ;)

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

If you do it on the way to the next hole I'm cool with that. I played the other day and this kid was standing on the first tee adding everyone's score into his phone. That's annoying. If it doesn't effect the pace of play I'm all for it.

got to the first tee box today and i was riding due to the fact that i have a hockey game tonight although i really wanted to walk, and there was another single getting ready to tee off. He was walking and he took his time and warmed up as i was. Then hit his ball then walked past me and didnt even say hello when i said hello to him. He finally let me play through after 4 holes. Now normally i would be really pissed if i was out and just wanting to play 1 ball, but today i was messing around with some stuff. B330 testing mainly, but why wouldn't he just let me tee off with him and then id be out of his way for the entire round? Theres no way id let a single in a cart sit there on the first tee like that then make him play behind me for 4 holes. Im one of the fastest golfers you'll meet but i know a cart is faster than me walking.

It seems that most things here have been covered, but I absolutely can't STAND when the people cutting pins don't know what they're doing. Our local course hired a few new groundskeepers this summer, and every time they pulled a pin, they left a lip on the outside edge of the hole. So when I had lag putts that should normally go in, they would get to the hole and turn out because of the lip.

Rain. I hate rain.

Learn to hit harder, noob.

Learn to hit harder, noob.

I know, right? To be fair, they were pretty far away and my favorite Affliction t-shirt was in the laundry.

People who don't have fun out there. WTC!

Slow play isn't going away, but the times it gets to me are when the group ahead or the group I am in doesn't play ready golf. After you hole out the last putt, move on to the next tee box. Don't sit there and enter the scores on the card, don't get a fresh set of drinks from the cart girl, don't re-enact the 3 footer you just missed. We've already waited more than 5 minutes, why delay it even longer.

There is a guy I have played with in a couple of tournaments who drives me nuts. He makes Ben Crane look speedy. He is out of shape and gets winded from walking to his ball from the cart, so he will sit in his cart until it is his turn to hit, instead of getting ready to hit. He never gets his club out ahead of time. There were a couple of times when he had to chip from off the green. Brings his wedge, but doesn't bring his putter. Each time our group got put on the clock because of this guy, not that he sped at all after that.

Its easy to fix with slow play in front of you or behind you. Behind you if you see better golfers playing right on your arse just let em play through, if they cant play through explain the situation. If your a 3 some and your playing on the butts of a double and they dont exercise gentleman golf etiquette you simply drop a tee ball on em, they will get the message.

Welcome back. I see the time out worked well.

Tiger Woods.

My policy is to never get irritated while golfing. I have been known to break that policy, but I try to keep it so I rarely look at other people's swings (I follow their ball for them and help find balls) I also try not to watch the people in front of us. It can only irritate me watching slow play, poor habits, etc.

At caddy school the first thing our caddy master told us was that if he saw us on a green and we did not fix at least 4 ball marks we were fired. Today, I fix at least 4 ball marks on every green I walk on.

Cannot stand cigars, cigarette buts, ashes, garbage anywhere on the ground, especially on the greens.

Unsolicted golf advice. Never offer it or give it on request and refuse to listen to it. Ever notice how people that play worse than you try to give the most advice?

Rude behavior can get to me. Last year, AS A WEEKEND SINGLE, I got paired with an adult son and his chain smoking, drinking dad. They were gambling and the dad would move when the son was shooting, heckle the kid, blow cigarette smoke at him. I complimented the kid when he had a good shot. His dad kept telling him he sucked. The dad would re putt missed putts and say that the kid moved. It was a dreadful round of golf.

It all came down to the 18th green. They both had birdie putt chances to win all the money. The dad missed his and tapped in. While the kid was standing over his putt the dad was cussing and degrading him. I had enough. I told the dad to shut up or I would kick his drunk a**. I told the kid he could make the putt and to start over. Walk around, go through his routine fresh. The kid made the putt. The dad went crazy saying he does not have to pay off the bet because I cheated. It's against the rules to let another player help his son. He also yelled at me and I begged him to put his hands on me.

It's rare to run into real irritating golfers. Most of us are friendly, courteous and embrace good golf behavior.

How can I tell if a golfer is better then me...he could have hit two tee shots into the trees and when I turn around to look whose behind me I see him drop one into the fairway to help speed up play..he must be better then me cause of his staff bag and his all matching clothing.

Slopes on tee boxes and when groups dont let a single play through

Today, I was waiting for my partner to show up, so I asked if I could play 10 and 18 while I waited and the pro said that was fine. I asked the threesome on 10 if I could squeeze in front of them and said I'd be out of their way after the hole and they were cool with it. So I played the hole as I usually would to a bogey. Then I went over to 18 and asked the single who was coming up 17 if I could squeeze in front of him, I said I'd be gone by the time he got there, so he said "Oh yeah! Go ahead take your time kiddo!" and so I went ahead. As I'm walking to my ball, I see him rushing through the green and to the tee and he hits his ball as I'm hitting my second. I hit mine 190 with a 5-iron off the tee, he comes at me with a driver and it land 5 yards left of me. After blading my shot I turned around and opened my arms and yelled "Dude, you said I could go, why you hitting at me?" He doesn't say a word there and then proceeds to rush to his ball. I'm at my ball for my third shot as he gets to his, and I waited to see what he would do. It seemed as though he was aiming at me. I hit my ball into the green as he was walking to his, then stayed by his ball to talk to him. I asked what was up, he said I cut him off and was being very rude. At this point I thought the guy had serious memory loss. I told him he said I could go ahead, he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. From there I just let him go and told him my ball was on the green, please leave it. So I let him hit and walked about 20 yards behind him to the green. He chips up and finished the hole at par, then picks my BRIDGESTONE TEST BALL up and throws it into the woods. If I had no self control I would have grabbed a ball and thrown it at him as hard as I could. From there I went inside and complained, asked if they could go out and talk to the guy. He drove out of the parking lot incredibly fast. They said if they ever saw him again they'd talk to him. That was probably the most annoying and rude treatment from a golfer I've ever gotten, regardless of whatever condition the guy might have.

Today, I was waiting for my partner to show up, so I asked if I could play 10 and 18 while I waited and the pro said that was fine. I asked the threesome on 10 if I could squeeze in front of them and said I'd be out of their way after the hole and they were cool with it. So I played the hole as I usually would to a bogey. Then I went over to 18 and asked the single who was coming up 17 if I could squeeze in front of him, I said I'd be gone by the time he got there, so he said "Oh yeah! Go ahead take your time kiddo!" and so I went ahead. As I'm walking to my ball, I see him rushing through the green and to the tee and he hits his ball as I'm hitting my second. I hit mine 190 with a 5-iron off the tee, he comes at me with a driver and it land 5 yards left of me. After blading my shot I turned around and opened my arms and yelled "Dude, you said I could go, why you hitting at me?" He doesn't say a word there and then proceeds to rush to his ball. I'm at my ball for my third shot as he gets to his, and I waited to see what he would do. It seemed as though he was aiming at me. I hit my ball into the green as he was walking to his, then stayed by his ball to talk to him. I asked what was up, he said I cut him off and was being very rude. At this point I thought the guy had serious memory loss. I told him he said I could go ahead, he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. From there I just let him go and told him my ball was on the green, please leave it. So I let him hit and walked about 20 yards behind him to the green. He chips up and finished the hole at par, then picks my BRIDGESTONE TEST BALL up and throws it into the woods. If I had no self control I would have grabbed a ball and thrown it at him as hard as I could. From there I went inside and complained, asked if they could go out and talk to the guy. He drove out of the parking lot incredibly fast. They said if they ever saw him again they'd talk to him. That was probably the most annoying and rude treatment from a golfer I've ever gotten, regardless of whatever condition the guy might have.

Wow dude. That is absolutely ridiculous! I can't stand turds that purposely hit into others.

Back