How much further can equipment come?

jacob1

Needs more cow bell
Reaction score
Handicap
With lots of new equipment on the horizon I got to thinking. Just how much further can the company's go from here? With the regulations that are in place for most equipment just how much better can it get? Thoughts?

With lots of new equipment on the horizon I got to thinking. Just how much further can the company's go from here? With the regulations that are in place for most equipment just how much better can it get? Thoughts?

lighter stronger components, More forgiveness while staying within regulations, somehow producing small thin irons that are even more forgiving.

I think there's plenty more that can be done, it's just hard to think of. Satchmo has some good ideas.

Regardless of how far they can actually go, advertising will make it seem like it's significant. There's something to be said for comsmetic changes too.

lighter stronger components, More forgiveness while staying within regulations, somehow producing small thin irons that are even more forgiving.
I would think that they have tried most components by now. Isn't there just so many types of materials a club can be made out of?

Regardless of how far they can actually go, advertising will make it seem like it's significant. There's something to be said for comsmetic changes too.
I agree.. Great advertising can make dog poop appealing.

I would think that they have tried most components by now. Isn't there just so many types of materials a club can be made out of?

A strong Styrofoam/fiberglass hybrid complex? lol

Never underestimate the power of innovation. There's always somebody looking for lighter and stronger alloys or composites. There will always be room for improvement, technical or visual.

I don't think anyone's tried carbon nano-tube shafts and clubheads yet... there's still plenty to do to improve on equipment. To me the question is more: how good should equipment be allowed to get (for the pros if not for amateurs)?

Oh wow, and I just bought 17 more yards. :sad:

I hate it when that happens haha.

On topic, maybe they will find a way to make a great consistent shaft that will adapt to peoples swings and won't cost $400 a pop, basically a smart shaft that's universal

I hate it when that happens haha. On topic, maybe they will find a way to make a great consistent shaft that will adapt to peoples swings and won't cost $400 a pop, basically a smart shaft that's universal
Now I'm envisioning a shaft like the gun from the original Judge Dread movie: when a stranger picks up your club, it will read their DNA, realize they are not an authorized user and shock them into submission before they have a chance to put a sky-mark on a pretty new driver. Time to go to the patent office...

I don't think anyone's tried carbon nano-tube shafts and clubheads yet... there's still plenty to do to improve on equipment. To me the question is more: how good should equipment be allowed to get (for the pros if not for amateurs)?

Funny you should mention that. I was watching a re-run of a tourney on the golf channel recently, maybe something from the late 1990's. I wasn't paying too close attention but I swear it seemed like Tiger hits his current 3 wood further than he hit driver back then. Early 20's, driver, violent and physical swing < mid 30's, knee and achilles injuries, 3W, more controlled swing. Things that make you go "Hmm"

Now I'm envisioning a shaft like the gun from the original Judge Dread movie: when a stranger picks up your club, it will read their DNA, realize they are not an authorized user and shock them into submission before they have a chance to put a sky-mark on a pretty new driver. Time to go to the patent office...

hahahah that's hilarious, I wish I had that sometimes.

Equipment will get better, and better, and better. But that has been going on for years. I once quoted Dr.Bob Rotella here in another thread, and the quote was that the average handicap was around 16 now, and fifteen years ago, and 30 years ago. We'll I don't see any change here :)

The thing is, that no matter how good the balls, clubs and shoes (?) get, we still have to chip, pitch, lobby and punch & roll the ball from 20 to 100 yards, and that my friends, require skills and nerves. No club, no ball will ever change this. If it does change, then I'd rather play with my old gear :)

And...the scary part is...I haven't gotten yet to the putting part ;)

One good point to all this, that needs to be put on the table is that, courses develop too. Not just for the pro's but also us, regular Joe's. Courses are longer, green's faster and we have less and less time to play. Maybe the question should be put from a comfort point of view. When does golf become too comfortable because of the equipment? Can equipment override the need for skill & training?

Equipment will get better, and better, and better. But that has been going on for years. I once quoted Dr.Bob Rotella here in another thread, and the quote was that the average handicap was around 16 now, and fifteen years ago, and 30 years ago. We'll I don't see any change here :)

I agree CH, the creativity of the younger generaqtion is endless. It's like the if you can dream it we can build it era lol. One area where I'd like to see some improvement is club making for the disabled, there's got to be some technology or ideas out there that will help them play the game.

I agree CH, the creativity of the younger generaqtion is endless. It's like the if you can dream it we can build it era lol. One area where I'd like to see some improvement is club making for the disabled, there's got to be some technology or ideas out there that will help them play the game.

Trout.....look up the Disabled British Open.....just had a guy from my hometown that competed and placed 2nd in his flight. There is already lots of technology and equipment for these guys. Can it be improved?? sure it can but look at this and you will realize that they can play the game!

I don't think anyone's tried carbon nano-tube shafts and clubheads yet...

Aren't Yonex shafts (and maybe even Matrix?) using carbon nanotubes already?

I think soon we'll see the 'light' trend continue, but see more use of backweighting and careful placement of weight in different areas.l

Aren't Yonex shafts (and maybe even Matrix?) using carbon nanotubes already?

Yes I believe you are correct, I remember reading that a few months ago but can't remember what company it was.

Club technology can progress a lot still. There might be regulations out the wazoo, but there's always room for innovation. Look at Daytona Prototype racing. They are regulated and restricted to a ridiculous level, but they keep pushing the limits of automotive technology that eventually makes its way to the consumer.

This is a good topic. Havn't we already reached the limit as to distance? I mean the clubs and/or balls are regualated as such. With current tech and available materials it is certainly possible for people to easily hit 400 yard drives if they allowed the clubs and balls to actually meet technology without limitations.

I would gues the only true benefits from more advancement would have to only come in the form of more forgiveness at this point. And even then, (lets hypothetically say 50 years from now) what are we going to have? Absolutely horrible swings with a driver and still end up in the fairway?

I think no matter what is ever available, there will always have to be be a skill involved but perhaps less of it. And I dont think its necessarily a good thing for the game. To tell you the truth I am surprized they actually allow the adjustible drivers to be legal clubs. Someone can now to some degree just fix the club to meet the flaw in thier swing rather than have to fix thier swing. Some may argue it kinda takes away from the game a bit. What It certainly does do even if only a very small amount is lessen the skill required.

As far as being lighter, IDK about that because evntually you can get too light and end up with not enough weight behind the ball. I believe that weight does play a role in distance. Perhaps a bit like hitting a baseball. The general idea is that you should swing the heaviest bat you can up to just before that peak weight where you would lose any bat speed.

IDK what the next advancements will be but I just hope it will never reach the point where it becomes too easy. The challange to be good at golf is what keeps us all going. I dont think it would no longer be as good as a game and perhaps just not rewarding enough if it gets easier and easier. It would certainly hurt ones apreciation of playing or watching great golf.

And just a side note (speaking about adjustible club) which is technology. What's next, One iron is all you nead?? Maybe a telescoping shaft, loft adjustment. A quick click and suddenly (scuddy wuddy doo da day) your 5 iron is now your 9 iron and "'click click"" again and now its a lob wedge ?? Well it would save us money lol. All ya'll nead is a wood, an iron, and putter.

Another tech advancement suggestion. Perhaps a ball with a homing device so you can't lose it. Now thats something I think we would all use.

How much farther can new equipment go? It can travel the rest of the distance and get into my bag.

Next thing: Adjustable shafts.

Back