Should I buy a Driver?

tjam

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been playing a couple of months. I had a lesson the other day which was very useful and am now in the process of trying to get a good technique and build a good foundation for my swing. Prior to my lesson I had no idea what I should be doing and the before and after videos were very different. I have been playing a round once a week for the last couple of months and trying to get to the range once or twice a week where possible. I borrow an old driver when I play, must be 10+ years old with a steel shaft. At the moment my drives are big slices that have a tendency to lose balls or end in bushes/the next fairway. I decided to play only irons on the course at the moment given my poor driver skill.

I imagine I wil play a lot less rounds during the winter, and plan to concentrate on trying to get to the range a couple of times a week and have a solid course of lessons to get a good foundation on my swing etc over the winter. Currently I have 5-SW + putter. So my question is, do you think I should leave purchasing a driver until Spring? I know with lessons my swing will change, I will hopefully get more consistent and be able to play a driver by spring even! I fear if I buy a driver now it will be something along anti-slice lines like a K15, but what if my swing changes as I learn mean I'm hooking all my drives by Spring. Would it be a good idea to buy a cheap driver such as a Wilson Prostaff driver (that I could probably pick up for about 40-50$) so I have something to have a bit of fun with after practicing my irons. Would it be a good idea to buy say a 3hybrid like a Mashie or A12os so that I have something a little longer to hit over winter, or stick to irons for now?

I think I've kind of answered my own question about getting an expensive driver, it doesn't seem like a good idea. Anyone disagree? Anyone think I should pick up a cheap driver or 3W or a hybrid for over winter? Thanks!

You could even get something used in the $50 range I bet. Nothing wrong with not having a driver as a beginner. A good hybrid or even a 5w could be beneficial.

I would look at you local thrift store, local pawn shops or second hand sports stores better yet look on here at the for sale for trade forum. I would definitely something so that your instructor can help you over the winter with your driver swing.

Best of luck and welcome to the game!

How about a forgiving, adjustable driver from a previous season?

Lots of places to get older clubs for cheap, and something like an R9 for example, will provide the flexibility of changing the weights and opening/closing the face as you please.

You may want to think about a 3w instead of a driver for right now. A beginner can often times get more distance and better results off the tee using the 3. They are cheaper than a driver too. When your skills improve, you can add the driver.

Lots of places to get older clubs for cheap, and something like an R9 for example, will provide the flexibility of changing the weights and opening/closing the face as you please.
Yes! R9 is the way to go for awesome driver, forgiving, and not expensive at all ( new ones can be had for less than $150)

I like the idea of that. Thanks! That way I can get a cheaper 2nd hand club that will allow me to have a bit of fun at the range trying to hit far. As my swing changes I have the option to adjust if I turn from a slicer to a hooker, and being a decent club from a few years ago it will probably last me a while.

Are there any other good adjustable drivers from the last few years that I can pick up cheap such as the R9 reccomended above that I may want to consider? Thanks!

As a newer golfer, I'd recommend the R9 SuperTri or the R9 460 over the original R9. Far more forgiving, higher launch, more spin. Both are very good driver heads.

Look at 3balls.com/ebay on google thats where dicks sporting goods sends all of there used clubs. You can pick up an older driver for cheap.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

As a newer golfer, I'd recommend the R9 SuperTri or the R9 460 over the original R9. Far more forgiving, higher launch, more spin. Both are very good driver heads.

^THIS^ If you check out the deal of the day thread there were some R9 Super Tri's for sale, great deal.

Great point Hawk.. How's the swing tjam? Are you getting some pretty good clubhead speed? Every club in the R9 line seemed to be ahead of the curve, but they are definitely unique.

Looks like you'll easily get under 100 bucks for an R9 on the bay, probably even closer to 50.

I'd look into an older Cleveland Launcher (comp/460). I have an iffy swing at best and this thing just cranks out the distance and is pretty darn forgiving compared to others I've tried. They can be had for $30-50 on Craigslist in my area.

I like the idea of that. Thanks! That way I can get a cheaper 2nd hand club that will allow me to have a bit of fun at the range trying to hit far. As my swing changes I have the option to adjust if I turn from a slicer to a hooker, and being a decent club from a few years ago it will probably last me a while.

If you want to improve quickly, I'd recommend NOT doing what most beginners do. That is, they show up at the range, pull out the driver, and start beating balls as hard as they can.

The driver is the hardest club in your bag to control. You're far better off trying to grove your swing with an 8-iron rather than a driver. Sure, it's fun to hit the driver (when you're hitting it well), but make sure you're accomplishing something. Otherwise, you're just giving money to the guy at the range.

If you want to improve quickly, I'd recommend NOT doing what most beginners do. That is, they show up at the range, pull out the driver, and start beating balls as hard as they can.

The driver is the hardest club in your bag to control. You're far better off trying to grove your swing with an 8-iron rather than a driver. Sure, it's fun to hit the driver (when you're hitting it well), but make sure you're accomplishing something. Otherwise, you're just giving money to the guy at the range.

Oh yeah, I don't intend to do that at all. I plan on doing most of my range practice with a 7 iron to get my swing down. That's what I was told to do in a lesson. But it would be nice to hit the last 10 with a driver for a bit of fun.

Re swing speed, I don't know to be honest. No ones ever measured it! I'm 25 years old male so I guess it should be reasonable but I probably swing a bit slower to focus on getting a cleaner swing technique so I don't know is the honest answer!

I recently purchased a Wilson Staff DXI driver and and in two rounds have hit about 75% of the fairways with the misses being in the first cut of rough. I was using a Hogan Big Ben CS3 8.5 regular shaft. I really liked the normal ball flight, but had a tendency to hit big hooks when my swing go a little out of control. I feel like I can really be aggressive with the DXI and not worry about losing it left. If anything, I tend to push it right when my tempo gets too quick and I don't get the club face squared up, but I still haven't had any big slices or hooks with this club. It's probably the straightest driver I have ever hit.

Here's a link to a great price ($69.99 shipped from Budget Golf store on ebay) on one of the more forgiving drivers on the market in the last couple of years. It's only available in RH 10.5 stiff shaft at this price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Wilson...90757948488?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item43b2863448

Here's a link to the THP review http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=11745

IMO, i would maybe pickup a 3h for now, much easier to hit then a driver, and should give you a alot more distance off the tee over your 5i & buy a good driver for the spring, after lessons or if you get your swing figured out.

The big slice is a swing defect, not the club. The club can potentially help but it will not cure this issue. I would not go out and buy a new expensive driver. Your swing isn't dialed in enough for that just yet. On the other hand buying a club that is maybe 4 or 5 years old and provides technological (read forgiveness) benefits over what you have now is a fine idea. I would think no more than $50-$70 should do the trick. When your swing gets dialed in and you eliminate the slice then come back to the idea of buying a new driver. You will have a much better idea about what you should game long term at that point.

Good luck!

You could get your swing speed checked and then buy a nice fairway wood at a low price from eBay. SS will help you with getting the appropriate shaft. You can use a 3 wood for both drives and fairway shots. Its loft will help you off the tee until you're ready for a driver.

I bought one you might as well buy one too.

how far are you hitting your 5 iron? Id pick up a cheap driver with a higher loft.

how far are you hitting your 5 iron? Id pick up a cheap driver with a higher loft.

Agree on the loft. Much easier to control. For a beginner, I'd think you'd want a 10.5 at the most. Stay away from the 8's, 9's, and 9.5's.

I definitely agree with the used 3 wood idea. The driver hits allot different than that as well but if you need a little length to play the courses, opt for a cheaper used 3 wood.
I have been playing off and on for several years and finally bought a decent driver, until then I was using a 3 wood or a old persimmon head driver.

3 wood is a good choice. You can also consider a 3 hybrid.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Back