Watching someone play

paintitblack85

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi folks

considering my bad english i hope you guys understand my question ;). me and my family will travel to florida march next year. since i have never played in the states before i plan to play one or two rounds. now here is the question. my father is very interested in the sport of golf. but he has never swung a club before in his life. so i know it won't be possible for him to play. but he asked me if it would be possible to follow me on a round as a spectator. i told him that i don't know. but maybe you guys can help me.

I don't know if it will be a problem there or not, but my girlfriend always goes with me to play, some courses will charge extra for a rider, and my home course let's her come with me for free since I play there so much. Maybe you can tell the course he's there to photograph you or something haha.

It depends on where you play honestly, some course will allow it and others won't. He might be required to rent his own cart to follow your group.

But mainly it depends on what course and what day and hour of the week.

Thanks guys. maybe i can even get him to hit some balls on a range and teach him about rules and etiquette so maybe he will be prepared to play a short round till march.

Might be an idea to research some courses you wanna play, then you could contact them and ask would it be ok for your father to follow

Might be an idea to research some courses you wanna play, then you could contact them and ask would it be ok for your father to follow

That's a great idea....

The only time my course wouldn't allow it is if it's a busy day and they need all the carts for golfers. We have 72 including the Marshal cart so if it's a packed shotgun tournament, then no. They would probably just let them follow you, but if they charges it would be just the regular rate for a cart. Would depend on the mood of the boss that day!

Most courses will allow someone to ride as long as they know ahead of time. A few years ago my wife and I went to the Dominican Republic and when I made the tee time I asked them if she could ride and they didn't have a problem with it. Like some have said, they may charge you for him to ride along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just asked my local course this same question (about my daughter doing a ride along). They said they would have to charge 1/2 cart fee ($6 for 9 holes) So that their insurance would cover her.

if you take a cart it might be an extra fee for a rider, but if you're walking it will not be a problem at all

He's your caddie. :)

I don't know how it works in the US, but I hope he can watch a round with you, because that would give him a nice look at the game, instead of whacking clubs on the range.

He's your caddie. :)

I don't know how it works in the US, but I hope he can watch a round with you, because that would give him a nice look at the game, instead of whacking clubs on the range.

you know what this is a great idea, saves you money on a cart too haha

I've had courses charge cart fee to ride and I've also been allowed to ride along for free. Both these times were after I had knee surgery and was in a brace. Maybe they took pity on me. :confused2:

I have never seen a course that wouldn't allow it. Now it might cost some money but still

Thank you guys. i hope i can teach him a little bit till march so we maybe can even tee it up together. if not i will ask at the course.

My wife has rode or walked with me at courses all over the country. Sometimes they charge a cart fee but usually do not. Enjoy your visit.

Where I live, I don't think this would be permitted. It sounds like other places are more flexible though. It's a good question.

Back