Is The Ryder Cup The Best Event in Golf?

Even though I love watching the Ryder Cup, I would have to say The Masters is my favorite golf event IMO. Just the history behind The Masters is hard to beat. And like JRod said "Golf is not a team sport".

I like the Ryder Cup a lot. The structure is fun. The match formats are different so they're fun. There's the team and country side of it. But I like my golfers lonely and on an island. I like the Masters more. But behind the Masters is The Ryder Cup.

I have to say yes. It turns an individual sport into a team competition. There is strategy and tactic involved in it, and like others have said it's an "Us vs Them" type of thing that causes people that would normally have no interest in it, glued to the TV (similar to the Olympics).

I would have to say yes, I love this event!

To me I could take it even a step further and say the Ryder Cup is the best event in sports. I still say that in 1999 watching the Sunday singles and the US coming from way down and ending up winning was the single best sporting even I've ever seen. The Ryder Cup gives me goosebumps like no other event in all of sports.

To me I could take it even a step further and say the Ryder Cup is the best event in sports. I still say that in 1999 watching the Sunday singles and the US coming from way down and ending up winning was the single best sporting even I've ever seen. The Ryder Cup gives me goosebumps like no other event in all of sports.
I agree with this 100%

I think the Ryder Cup is the best event in pro golf and the morgan cup is the best event in amateur golf. Hands down the two golf events I look forward to the most!!!

I still get 'em when I watch this piece of greatness:

[video=youtube;-Msi4XLDrP4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Msi4XLDrP4[/video]

Easy there big fella. It's a great event, don't get me wrong on that, but it's not the best event in sports. The World Cup and both versions of the Olympics are better in my mind, and if you want to stay domestic, the Super Bowl is a bigger deal.

Limiting it to golf, give me the Masters and the Open Championship over the Ryder Cup. The atmosphere and format of the Ryder Cup makes it unique and an amazing spectacle, but IMHO, it's only been that way over the past 20-30 years since the European side became competitive. The Masters has the tradition of going to the same course every year and such prestige, and the Open Championship is the oldest major in the game as well as the "world's" major as it is the only major played outside of the US.

I'm really excited for my first Ryder Cup. I've never watched or even followed one before. I'm getting more excited for this than I was for any of the majors.

Easy there big fella. It's a great event, don't get me wrong on that, but it's not the best event in sports. The World Cup and both versions of the Olympics are better in my mind, and if you want to stay domestic, the Super Bowl is a bigger deal.

Limiting it to golf, give me the Masters and the Open Championship over the Ryder Cup. The atmosphere and format of the Ryder Cup makes it unique and an amazing spectacle, but IMHO, it's only been that way over the past 20-30 years since the European side became competitive. The Masters has the tradition of going to the same course every year and such prestige, and the Open Championship is the oldest major in the game as well as the "world's" major as it is the only major played outside of the US.
See how I started my comment with "TO ME" you have to leave me alone after that one. You can't come argue that soccer is better because I said "to me". I win, soccer (and you) lose. :D

I will have to say no, I think The Masters is the best event in golf. Simply because of the tradition it holds. Same location since its inception that breathe taking year in and year out.
RC had the potential to be a huge let down and rarely lives up to the hype. The Masters seems script a different story line every year. I know to expect the unexpected each with the Masters. The RC, sadly sets the stage after the first round in recent years, taking away all the drama.
To me an event has to keep you in the edge of your seat to garner the 'Best' title.

Excellently rendered good sir. This indeed.

Cheers Dr Flipper!
You can't go that shack wacky on us yet P4B. The snows haven't event started for you yet! :alien:

Dont you lose all credibility for saying a sport that can end in a tie is the best? :D

See how I started my comment with "TO ME" you have to leave me alone after that one. You can't come argue that soccer is better because I said "to me". I win, soccer (and you) lose. :D

You know I meant no harm!

I'll also admit that I'm a little biased because I've been to the Masters, but have never been to a Ryder Cup. "TO ME", the Masters is the best event in golf, no question about it.

Dont you lose all credibility for saying a sport that can end in a tie is the best? :D

Not when the majority of the world agrees with me. :alien:

No doubt about it in my mind. The anticipation that surrounds this event is like nothing else. On Sunday night we are all going to say to ourselves " I can't wait for the next Ryder Cup"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You know I meant no harm!

I'll also admit that I'm a little biased because I've been to the Masters, but have never been to a Ryder Cup. "TO ME", the Masters is the best event in golf, no question about it.

The majority of the world just called me. You're out of line!

Wrong is still wrong regardless of numbers.

Yes, it is the greatest event in golf. I don't think that because of the international competition aspect either. If I did then in that aspect the Presidents Cup would have to be 2nd, and well that isn't the case.

To me the Ryder Cup transcends golf. Sure it is the method of conveyance, but on the whole and especially on the Euro side we see a passion like no other. You're not playing for yourself like every other week, you're playing for your team and nation. That is what gives it the edge over any major to me.

I still get 'em when I watch this piece of greatness:

[video=youtube;-Msi4XLDrP4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Msi4XLDrP4[/video]

For a US fan this may have been one of the best RC staged but I know those on the other side wouldn't agree. The majority lack drama

Not for me. I would have to make a list but I'm not sure it makes my top 10.

The majority of the world does not have the privilege of watching better activities. Two things dead on about soccer. The 2nd one has bad sound. Turn it all the way up.

No doubt about it in my mind. The anticipation that surrounds this event is like nothing else. On Sunday night we are all going to say to ourselves " I can't wait for the next Ryder Cup"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't see that happening unless it comes down to the couple of matches to decide a winner. Even then it's one of 6 that was compelling to watch.

The Masters on Sunday afternoon is magic! It's #1 in my book.

I personally prefer the majors with the Masters being #1. Does anyone else find it odd that it is the US (a country) versus Europe (a continent). What, no other country can field a good enough team so they decided to make us go against a continent? I'm just sayin'

Yes, the Ryder Cup is #1 to me. No other golf event gets me as pumped up and excited to cheer on the USA. The Masters is exciting on a different level, but how cool would it be to have the Ryder cup at Augusta?

Back