Some perspective for those of us who are frustrated with our games...

tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
It is a bit dated but according to a 2005 National Golf Foundation [NGF] report the distribution of scores among men is as follows:
< 80: 5.0% of golfers
80-89: 19.7%
90-99: 27.2%
100-119: 32.8%
> 119: 15.3%

And the average score of amateur men is 98.3.

In other words, Golf is hard and we need to temper our expectations. For as much as we think we should be able to break 90 (for example) only about a fourth of all golfers do it.

Fun reading even if the numbers are a few years old. Would be really interested to see how they looked today :)

Fun reading even if the numbers are a few years old. Would be really interested to see how they looked today :)

Wouldn't be surprised if they were similar.

Those are good #'s to help keep our ego's in check but sometimes the competetive side of ourself can be our worst enemy. I look at that and say, "There's no reason I can be in the top 25% of recreational golfers"

Thanks for the perspective.

Not surprised by that, although that is for ALL golfers, even the couple rounds a year guys, I would guess. People who take the time to participate on a golf forum are not your typical golfers, I wouldn't think.

Although I know a lot of good golfers who wouldn't think about logging into a golf forum (or so they say, haha).

Not surprised by that, although that is for ALL golfers, even the couple rounds a year guys, I would guess. People who take the time to participate on a golf forum are not your typical golfers, I wouldn't think.

Although I know a lot of good golfers who wouldn't think about logging into a golf forum (or so they say, haha).

Yeah, what he said! Lol

The beauty of golf is that you really are playing yourself, you don't have to worry about what other people are doing, just enjoy the game at your own pace.

The beauty of golf is that you really are playing yourself, you don't have to worry about what other people are doing, just enjoy the game at your own pace.

two totally different games

Scoring Golf - where you strive to get the lowest number you can giving 100% of your ability

WWPTOM - What Will People Think Of Me .... where you do what you THINK OTHERS will admire or CARE ABOUT .. and you do not care about your golf score .... the REALITY is, THEY DON"T GIVE A CHIT WHAT YOU DO !

PLAY GOLF !!!

**Slowly raises hand**
Guess I'm in the 5%

Seriously though that's some interested numbers though.

I have always heard only 10% of average joe golfer will break 100 on a consistent basis.

Tap-in Talking

It is a bit dated but according to a 2005 National Golf Foundation [NGF] report the distribution of scores among men is as follows:

In other words, Golf is hard and we need to temper our expectations. For as much as we think we should be able to break 90 (for example) only about a fourth of all golfers do it.

Is the NGF assuming that the rules are being followed correctly?

I'm guessing the numbers would hold true today. Equipment may advance, but the human still has to do the swinging. Our club course record was set in the late 1960's and still stands today. Set with 1960's technology and still standing. Golf is still hard.

Agree. I think part of the problem too is that people watch golf on TV where they most show the spectacular shots, so people think those shots are routine. The fact is that even the pros hit bad shots fairly often.

Wow I rank decently high... this would probably assume that all rules are followed. Some guys will say they shot a 98, but that was leaving out the two balls in the water, three drag putts that they failed to count, and the whiff on hole 15. Makes the score a lot higher.

Wow I rank decently high... this would probably assume that all rules are followed. Some guys will say they shot a 98, but that was leaving out the two balls in the water, three drag putts that they failed to count, and the whiff on hole 15. Makes the score a lot higher.

32.8%?

Masquinongy

two totally different games

Scoring Golf - where you strive to get the lowest number you can giving 100% of your ability

WWPTOM - What Will People Think Of Me .... where you do what you THINK OTHERS will admire or CARE ABOUT .. and you do not care about your golf score .... the REALITY is, THEY DON"T GIVE A CHIT WHAT YOU DO !

PLAY GOLF !!!

Play golf, that is probably the best thing you can do.

I would agree with this. But in all reality, it doesn't matter to those who will never compete. Go ahead and leave those shots out. It makes the game a lot more fun.

Yeah, I have played casual rounds with guys that hit the ball OB and drop at the point it went in, or take 15 ft gimmies or just "forget" that they hit 2 balls in the water instead of 1....but if you arent playing for money it only hurts them.

Quote from the book "Golf of your dreams", by Bob Rotella:

"Fifteen years ago, the average American male golfer's handicap was 16.2. The average female golfer's handicap was 29. Today, the average American male golfer's handicap is 16.2 and the average female golfer's is 29. American golfers have not gotten any better."

So the stats should be quite similar today :)

Yeah, I have played casual rounds with guys that hit the ball OB and drop at the point it went in, or take 15 ft gimmies or just "forget" that they hit 2 balls in the water instead of 1....but if you arent playing for money it only hurts them.

I always keep two scores, the without cheating and the with cheating. It all depends on who I am talking to which score I use.

I like how in the scale of the curve I am still on one of the outlying edges - but the wrong one... darnit.

Quote from the book "Golf of your dreams", by Bob Rotella:

"Fifteen years ago, the average American male golfer's handicap was 16.2. The average female golfer's handicap was 29. Today, the average American male golfer's handicap is 16.2 and the average female golfer's is 29. American golfers have not gotten any better."

So the stats should be quite similar today :)

I knew I had read that somewhere, thanks for posting that CH.

You would think technology would help but as clubs go farther courses get longer. As they get more accurate they build more trouble. Have 1960's average golfers play today's courses with their equipment. Bad juju!

Also, lighter, longer, faster, thinner faces does equal more distance. But with a bad swing it just equals farther OOB!!!

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Sergio posted a 12 on his score card for one hole this past weekend. enough said it's not an easy game at any level but it's a heck of a lot of fun

Back