Ping G20 Driver Review

You have both the G20 and the VRS driver? That is awesome, like OEM awesome. I got some got dang good numbers from the VRS driver, not sure if better then the G20 or not but pretty good.

Yeah it's close but the G20 just pounds them straight. I have a little fade with the VRs currently. Misses are quite playable.

Yeah it's close but the G20 just pounds them straight. I have a little fade with the VRs currently. Misses are quite playable.

Frank, those are the two drivers I think I'm pondering between, could you do a quick pros/cons for both of them compared??? PLEASE!!!

I may have to hit your drivers when we play again.....

I've seen it discussed how the G20 shaft is backweighted, so trimming it would be a poor choice. If it was ordered at 45" from Ping, do you think they would still have it backweighted to be the same swing weight.

I've seen it discussed how the G20 shaft is backweighted, so trimming it would be a poor choice. If it was ordered at 45" from Ping, do you think they would still have it backweighted to be the same swing weight.

Im curious about this too. I see you grabbed a G20, did you find anything out about the weighting?

I played with a gentleman yesterday that just got a G20 and it was the first time he had hit it, funny because it was the first time I hit my i20 as well. He definitely wasn't use to it because the first half of the round he was all over the place, by the last five or six holes he was really hitting it. He was 65-70 years old and seriously crushing the ball. One thing I noticed was that his ball went much higher compared to my i20, I had a little more distance but I am 50 years younger than the guy. :act-up:

I'm still in ponder mode over the G20. Any of you guys hit both the normal and tour version of the shaft? Wondering if they feel exactly the same, and the difference is ball flight alone?

I honestly can't see how this would affect the club much at all

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Nope, I didn't find out anything abotu the weight, I just decided to give it a go. Hopefully it works out for me.

I honestly can't see how this would affect the club much at all

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Heavy head so cutting down the shaft will make the whole club feel heavier. In theory.

Heavy head so cutting down the shaft will make the whole club feel heavier. In theory.

This. Their club head is heavier than average but they compensate for it with the shaft technology and weighting. Might be playing with fire by shortening the shaft w/out consulting with an expert first.

This. Their club head is heavier than average but they compensate for it with the shaft technology and weighting. Might be playing with fire by shortening the shaft w/out consulting with an expert first.

This is what I keep hearing and why Im not cutting my down. The old grip down will have to work if needed. I will be regripping it with DriTac though.

My sticks are supposed to arrive tomorrow. Damn, this has been the longest week...

My sticks are supposed to arrive tomorrow. Damn, this has been the longest week...

I see you went with the G20 FW too? Did you compare it to other FW's or just wanted matching driver/fw?

I'm still in ponder mode over the G20. Any of you guys hit both the normal and tour version of the shaft? Wondering if they feel exactly the same, and the difference is ball flight alone?

I thought they felt the same except for the ball flight being lower with the tour shaft.

I thought they felt the same except for the ball flight being lower with the tour shaft.

There is a difference in weight between the two with the non tour being lighter of course.

Im pondering buying this driver used through TGW since the wife company gets me 10% off and I love the look of it.

I see you went with the G20 FW too? Did you compare it to other FW's or just wanted matching driver/fw?

I hit others. I couldn't get the Adams Speedline 12 in the air consistenly when hitting off the ground. TM R11 stuff didn't seem to fit my swing. I hit the RBZ twice. First time was okay. Second time was phenomenal - I was hitting it 245 with ease off the ground (cold weather, range balls; my SS is low 100's), almost convinced me to skip having a driver and just go with this 3W. I don't think the G20 will be as long as the RBZ for me, but it really felt great in my hands, loved the balance of the club, felt really easy to swing - all the stuff I really liked about the driver - and ultimately my game needs control more than distance, so I went for it.

That'll work too. One of the local pro's uses it and he's just wrapped a bit of electrical tape around the grip where he wants the heel of his top hand to rest. Seems to work well for him.

I choke down so my right thumb is on the "P" in Ping.

I don't understand how cutting down the shaft would be different from choking up wit it. I understand that the shaft has a high balance point, but aren't I negating some of the when choking down?

There is a difference in weight between the two with the non tour being lighter of course.

Thanks guys. Not too bothered about a slight shaft weight difference. Looking for a nice flight and accuracy for the most part. I think my local range might have both in demo - might wander down and ask.

I choke down so my right thumb is on the "P" in Ping.

I don't understand how cutting down the shaft would be different from choking up wit it. I understand that the shaft has a high balance point, but aren't I negating some of the when choking down?

Good question. If you cut it you have definitely changed the weight of the club no matter where you grip it but gripping down the club itself still weighs the same you've just shortened it a bit. I guess it could still have the same effect though.

Came across a Ping fitting today and tried out a few drivers, started with the G20 9.5 Stiff was hooking the crap out of it swing speed anywhere from 96-99 spin 3000-3600, he swapped that out for the i20 and same deal was hooking it just about every swing and my swing speed dropped to 91-95 spin was mostly over 4000 with that driver. Finally he handed me a G20 9.5 with the Tour stiff shaft and wow what a difference that made, spin down in the 2600 range and my swing speed was 98-101 mostly a straight ball flight with just a hint of a draw for the most part. It shocked me just how a simple shaft changed so much. Ping definitely has a good driver here.

Came across a Ping fitting today and tried out a few drivers, started with the G20 9.5 Stiff was hooking the crap out of it swing speed anywhere from 96-99 spin 3000-3600, he swapped that out for the i20 and same deal was hooking it just about every swing and my swing speed dropped to 91-95 spin was mostly over 4000 with that driver. Finally he handed me a G20 9.5 with the Tour stiff shaft and wow what a difference that made, spin down in the 2600 range and my swing speed was 98-101 mostly a straight ball flight with just a hint of a draw for the most part. It shocked me just how a simple shaft changed so much. Ping definitely has a good driver here.

Glad you liked it. This driver makes me look good most of the time.

My results so far have been positive with the G20. I have a 9.5* head with the Xflex TFC169 Tour D shaft cut down to 45". My initial impressions:

Look/feel/sound: The driver is on the larger side at address, but it is a very appealing look at address. the large dark head is confidence inspiring, and it looks like its ready to smoke the ball down the fairway. I really like the Ping alignment aid. The driver has a nice feel to it, every ball feels crushed, the downside to that is the feedback isn't up to snuff with some other drivers I've used, like the R11. The sound is a slight drawback for me. I know that some don't care for the R11 sound but I loved it, the G20 doesn't sound bad, but it is certainliy more of "ping"(NPI) sound. It is taking a little bit of time to get used to. There has been alot of talk of this driver feeling heavy, but it does not to me in anyway, that being said I prefer a driver wtih some heft to it. My R11 has a 75 gram shaft. I'm sure if you were coming from the current generation of ultralight drivers you might find it heavy.

Ballflight: I am getting a nice high ball flight with the G20. It is not ballooning at all, and is still getting a fair amount of roll out. I can't wait to get it on a LM but I think my numbers right now are going to be beautiful with the driver.

Distance: With no wind and downwind, I think its pretty similar to my R11/Fubuki Alpha combo. I had two drives that were in the 300 yrd range, and one that was 321 w/wind, which is my 3rd longest I've measured. Into the wind I am definitly losing some distance thanks to the higher ball flight, but htat is to be expected. I think I am getting mroe carry and less roll with this combo.

Accuracy: On the range this was an absolute missile launcher, landing every ball in a 15 yard area. Once out on the course it was inconsistent, but I think tha tis growing pains that will be somewhat worked out in the next couple rounds. Mostly indian.

Workability: This driver is not nearly as workable as my R11, but that is also what I like about it, it is much more forgiving. I can pull out a big draw or fade when I need it without too much problem with the R11, and with the G20 the fade was still in the bag, but didn't have much luck with the draw. The flip side of that is when going for a straight shot, I was pretty likely to get both a slice or hook with the R11. Right now my miss with the G20 is a fade only.

So far I'm very happy, this driver could stay in the bag for quite some time.

Wake,

Thanks for the update. I am still pondering this driver and your thoughts are helping move my decision along. So far, I have hit it a number of times and have liked it very much especially with the Tour Stiff shaft.

Back