Feeling like this is something I need to work on as well. I just need to get an idea of the yards I'm covering with different shots. I feel like I have no touch coming out of winter.

you and me both, I dont feel comfortable at all hitting my gap or sw right now, ive had better results hitting shortened PW than anything, not sure what my deal is

There are lots of variables but usually I hit the 60. I try to hit it crisp with shorter back swing, firm wrists, ball first, and short follow through this keeps the ball down and imparts some spin. It is a touch shot so unless you are really comfortable with these tween distances, it is best to avoid it. Whatever club you choose, it takes lots of reps to get decent at those distances.

Huge difference between 35 (a distance I hate), and 75 (a distance I love). If it's 35, it depends on the height on need over bunker then I use a 58, if I have nothing in front of me, a 54 brought in low with check. If it's 75, then it's full swing with a 54.....

I really like the 54, 58, setup, I find a 60 useless.....I'm not good with it, but this is just me, I'm the outlier, most people love a 60.....

^^^^
When you have a 58* a 60* is useless. But I love my 60* not for a flop shot but I'm very comfortable using it for bunkers and also short sided shots but a 58* can do that just as well. I guess they just aren't as common?

Huge difference between 35 (a distance I hate), and 75 (a distance I love). If it's 35, it depends on the height on need over bunker then I use a 58, if I have nothing in front of me, a 54 brought in low with check. If it's 75, then it's full swing with a 54.....

I really like the 54, 58, setup, I find a 60 useless.....I'm not good with it, but this is just me, I'm the outlier, most people love a 60.....

I feel the same way. I use my 54 for most shots from 110 yds. and in. My 58 is for bunkers and for any short sided shots I may have around the green.

I feel the same way. I use my 54 for most shots from 110 yds. and in. My 58 is for bunkers and for any short sided shots I may have around the green.

That is exactly how I use my setup....58 bunker, 54 full shots, 58 short sided....BUT....in the last few weeks, if I'm short sided and I have fringe that I can putt through, I'm now choking up on my 5 hybrid like a putter and using that - what a difference!!!!!

I see lots of guys with the 54/58 setup. Do you guys ever use your 58 for full shots from say 90 yards? Is that still a 54 with not quite a full swing?

What about if you had 85 yards to a short sided flag over a bunker? Still 54 from that distance?

Great discussion!

I see lots of guys with the 54/58 setup. Do you guys ever use your 58 for full shots from say 90 yards? Is that still a 54 with not quite a full swing?

What about if you had 85 yards to a short sided flag over a bunker? Still 54 from that distance?

Great discussion!

Im just now starting the full shots with the 58, the furthest ive tried it was 65 yards out with success, sort of afraid to see how far I can max it out, and pretty sure I dont want to know lol

IMO I think this is one of the hardest shots in the game! There are so many different ways these shots can be played depends on what's in front of you and if you want to put any find of spin on it. I use my 54 or 58 depending on how high and how far I want to carry it. This is a shot I think most of us here struggle with and frustrate us the most.

Im just now starting the full shots with the 58, the furthest ive tried it was 65 yards out with success, sort of afraid to see how far I can max it out, and pretty sure I dont want to know lol

I actually really enjoy using it for full shots. I am at like 115 with the 47, 105 with the 52, 90-95 with the 57. There is always a point when a full shot can't be used but I prefer going full shot when at all possible. I will not go get a 60-62 degree wedge for a 75 yard shot though. As said previously, you gotta learn to be creative, flight the ball, impart spin, etc.

Nothing cooler than a 54 degree from 60 yards that comes in low/hot and one hops and stops.

30-ish: 54 degree. 45+: 60. But then what's between you and the hole, as well as the lie matters more than anything.

Look at you rocking the new handle, I like it bro.

Yeah. I was gonna go with "golfmasteroftheuniverse" but it was a bit lengthy.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Here's a 50 yd pitch. 58 degree wedge, ball off front foot, weight about 75% on my left leg (which moves the bottom of the arc more forward in my stance). Take it back in a one piece move with NO HAND MANIPULATION and very wide. The right arm folds just a tad causing the club to hinge (again no hand manipulation) then just let gravity do the work and keep your body rotating through the shot so that your chest faces the target at the end with the club in front of you.

must be awesome to have such a nice swing lol

I actually really enjoy using it for full shots. I am at like 115 with the 47, 105 with the 52, 90-95 with the 57. There is always a point when a full shot can't be used but I prefer going full shot when at all possible. I will not go get a 60-62 degree wedge for a 75 yard shot though. As said previously, you gotta learn to be creative, flight the ball, impart spin, etc.

Nothing cooler than a 54 degree from 60 yards that comes in low/hot and one hops and stops.

Im not creative, Im trying to do 3 things:

1. Keep it on the green
2. Dont hit anyone with the ball standing near by
3. Dont blade one so bad over the green that could damage a home

Great discussion!

ABSOLUTELY - in fact, I would hit it 54' harder and try to get it to stop right at flag, shots like this my aim it typically the top of the flag....

Im nto creative, Im trying to do 3 things:

1. Keep it on the green
2. Dont hit anyone with the ball standing near by
3. Dont blade one so bad over the green that could damage a home

LOL - noted! And I agree about Marc's swing. That would solve lots of my issues.

I hit my 58* about 95y so for +/- 60y I will choke down all the way to the end of the grip and take a nice, easy full swing. I struggle on occasion with anything less than a 75% swing so I've found this to work the best for me.

Here's a 50 yd pitch. 58 degree wedge, ball off front foot, weight about 75% on my left leg (which moves the bottom of the arc more forward in my stance). Take it back in a one piece move with NO HAND MANIPULATION and very wide. The right arm folds just a tad causing the club to hinge (again no hand manipulation) then just let gravity do the work and keep your body rotating through the shot so that your chest faces the target at the end with the club in front of you.

Better hit it perfectly!!!!! I tend to hit my 50 yards shots with a bit more backswing, but this looks syrupy - I'm jealous!

Better hit it perfectly!!!!!

As long as I set up the same way and take it back with no hand manipulation the club will come through at the same exact angle of attack and will nip it every time. A lot of people (including myself until this past year) try and hit these shots with their hands when its so much easier to just turn your shoulders back and forth and let the outside follow the inside.

I tend to hit my 50 yards shots with a bit more backswing, but this looks syrupy - I'm jealous!

The problem with taking it back too far is you have to slow down as to not hit it too far. When you slow down bad things happen. Shorter backswing with speed through the ball will get the one hop stop shots. But you also have to have good tempo tied in with that shorter swing. lol there's so many little things....this game is toughhhhhhhhhhh.

Ty for syrup compliment!

I hit my 58* about 95y so for +/- 60y I will choke down all the way to the end of the grip and take a nice, easy full swing. I struggle on occasion with anything less than a 75% swing so I've found this to work the best for me.

Hey JK - Having fun with those i20s? What a glorious looking set of irons....NO ONE in golf builds better looking gear for the high end player than Ping IMHO....there was a comment from the Golf Digest Club review this year about "outdated gun metal grey" of the G20 - I thought to myself - this is what i LIKE about them....LOVE the G20 woods....I just spent a month hitting everything, getting tuned, fussing with RBZ and the 910D2 (which I owned for 3 weeks), after all this fussing with settings and shafts, a stock G20 right off the shelf was 5 yards longer than everything i had hit - it's in the bag to stay - ever wonder why Lee Westwood is still playing G10s? (including the driver) - stuff just works, year after year.....

Yeah, really like the i20 irons and you can see in my signature that my bag is gonna be real close to all Ping soon - been a long time since one company took the whole bag for me. I personally like the gray color, too, though admit it took me a few rounds to like it - there is no glare with these, which is really nice.

I literally spent about 3 hours over both days this weekend in the Ping booth at demo days here in Carlsbad, CA - I'm planning to post more in the i20/G20 driver threads, but the net is is I walked in there ready to order the i20 driver and walked out ordering a 12* (yes 12*) G20 with stock shaft - I was in total denial - which is why I went baclk the second day to validate it - but the numbers can't be ignored (14* launch and 2600 spin). And I had played 3 rounds with the i20 and thought it worked fine (actually slightly better than my 910 as it pretty much eliminated the hook).

Ping really does have some great stuff - I'm trying to not go overboard on the praise but the wallet speaks for itself on this one...

Hey JK - Having fun with those i20s? What a glorious looking set of irons....NO ONE in golf builds better looking gear for the high end player than Ping IMHO....there was a comment from the Golf Digest Club review this year about "outdated gun metal grey" of the G20 - I thought to myself - this is what i LIKE about them....LOVE the G20 woods....I just spent a month hitting everything, getting tuned, fussing with RBZ and the 910D2 (which I owned for 3 weeks), after all this fussing with settings and shafts, a stock G20 right off the shelf was 5 yards longer than everything i had hit - it's in the bag to stay - ever wonder why Lee Westwood is still playing G10s? (including the driver) - stuff just works, year after year.....

I use my 56* from these distances. I choke down, manipulate ball placement, and how large of a swing I take. It's one of the few clubs I feel I can hit different approaches to the same shot. Using one club also seems to have added a consistency that I've never had.

Tap before talk.

I never take a full swing from 75 yards or less. In that range it's either 1/2 56 or 1/2 52 degree.

Yeah, really like the i20 irons and you can see in my signature that my bag is gonna be real close to all Ping soon - been a long time since one company took the whole bag for me. I personally like the gray color, too, though admit it took me a few rounds to like it - there is no glare with these, which is really nice.

I literally spent about 3 hours over both days this weekend in the Ping booth at demo days here in Carlsbad, CA - I'm planning to post more in the i20/G20 driver threads, but the net is is I walked in there ready to order the i20 driver and walked out ordering a 12* (yes 12*) G20 with stock shaft - I was in total denial - which is why I went baclk the second day to validate it - but the numbers can't be ignored (14* launch and 2600 spin). And I had played 3 rounds with the i20 and thought it worked fine (actually slightly better than my 910 as it pretty much eliminated the hook).

Ping really does have some great stuff - I'm trying to not go overboard on the praise but the wallet speaks for itself on this one...

You should check out this news release from Titleist, on why they started offering a 12' 910D2:
http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleis...ls-line-for-moderate-swing-speed-players.aspx

I badly wanted to buy something else, even hit the Callaway Fit, and I'm an obnoxious Calli fanboy, and I kept coming back to the G20....one thing I REALLY like about Ping, is that they don't hurt you with new products every 6 months. They release new products every two years, so next year, the i20 will still be a new product, and possibly into 2014. How do guys feel that paid $400 for a R11 driver last year, and now they have to watch Justin, Justin, and Dustin tell them 30 times over the course of a weekend that R11S is LONGER, LONGER, BETTER, MORE ADJUSTABLE, after just 9 months when the R11 was the miracle stick? YUCK....are we made of money?

FB

Back