Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
really, really, REALLY pondering the MacGregor VIP forged iron set at GS. Through trade ins and such I can get them for ~250 and they throw in two Wedges for free. And they come stock with KBS Tour shaft...hmmm

Hey Kmac, just the pure sound and feel off the face felt great. I mean i just strolled up the the cleveland reps stand and was about the hit the cleveland classic which i have hit before and saw the 588 CB irons sitting in the bag so i jumped at the chance to hit them. It just felt really nice, hard to really explain but they felt pure. I know the Adams are expensive, but i was talking to the fitter at my local range about the RBZ's and he did say that they felt springy but he said that the adams are like rockets. He also agreed that they issue with them are the price, but he said that he has a club fitting head only deal with adams that he would be able to build a club that would be the same price as the Rbz with a custom shaft in them. He is not a big fan of any of the shafts that Taylormade puts in the woods. So it got me thinking about the adams and would it be worth it.

I know a lot of MC 2.0 guys will enjoy reading that about the 588 irons. I don't think any of them have hit them yet either. I've heard that about the Adams but I'm not paying $300 for a hybrid. Might as well say kentwool on it LOL :alien:

I know a lot of MC 2.0 guys will enjoy reading that about the 588 irons. I don't think any of them have hit them yet either. I've heard that about the Adams but I'm not paying $300 for a hybrid. Might as well say kentwool on it LOL :alien:

ROFL!!

I have yet to even see those 588's. What did you like about them? I hear those Super Hybrids are good but the inflated price tag causes concern.

Lots of places have them cheaper. $209 seems to be the street price

The bigger issue is availability again. Adams sucks at getting their clubs out on time and is glacially slow at doing anything that looks like a custom order. The hybrids are getting out there but the real rocket launcher of the lot is the fairway and the date's been moved back again to mid April for most places to see the first batch.

Why the heck is the Adams super hybrid xtd so expensive?
A: Titainium head upcharge
B: Real deal Fubuki AX $200 retail shaft

The bigger issue is availability again. Adams sucks at getting their clubs out on time and is glacially slow at doing anything that looks like a custom order. The hybrids are getting out there but the real rocket launcher of the lot is the fairway and the date's been moved back again to mid April for most places to see the first batch.

I guess a titanium head and Fubuki are worth the money. But I'm not positive if it is. Golf galaxy had a nice selection of hybrids at $299. I've seen the 3W's on the bay.

I see a tour version for only 350. Tmex must be salivating. I'm intrigued by this hybrid

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I see a tour version for only 350. Tmex must be salivating. I'm intrigued by this hybrid

Does it have a Tour Designs AD Tiger Proto shaft?

Something I have never heard of so you know Tmex wants it

I guess a titanium head and Fubuki are worth the money. But I'm not positive if it is. Golf galaxy had a nice selection of hybrids at $299. I've seen the 3W's on the bay.

Interesting. Lots of places are still having issues getting the hybrids.
Adams said today that no fairway woods will be shipping until at least the 2nd and perhaps the 3rd week of April which is lame.

I hit the hybrid. My a12 pro is def better. For me at least

I don't want to steal CB's thunder so I'm putting this here since it ended up with me pondering things. I went to the Vancouver CPC for a fantastic fitting today. Tommy the pro there really knows his stuff and loves to help people out. Whenever CB gets fit, I hope Tommy is the guy to do it.

We did a fitting for everything but putters. They use to do putter fittings there but there's a neat new putter studio opening here where they will be sending all their putter fittings too. I don't recall the name he mentioned but it's the guy who does the putter fittings for Baddelay so should be pretty cool. That being said I did roll all the new putters versus mine. Mine is "pretty good" for me but I was seeing some darn impressive results with the Tour black #8 and the Metal X 2 ball. Preferred the feel on the later. For those who don't like Odyssey inserts (Me!) they've got you covered. Loathed that Flip face thing.

We ended up getting a driver and fairway that kill my current gamers which is slightly infuriating since I just got that i20...
Hybrids were pretty evened out. As it turns out I hit hybrids like a boss in any loft. So much so, that I'm thinking of binning the 3/4 wood entirely for another hybrid and potentially swap the 5 iron for another one. Also, remember when TC keeps telling people to go hit the Razr hybrids? Ya, do so.

For the record I wasn't a giant fan of the Fit in a fairway. It seems like the ball gets sucked on the club face before going off. It also feels incredibly head heavy, something I'm not a fan of in a shaft so long. The Black though is like the Octane on steroids. Remember the feeling of the Burner 09 driver where it just felt like the ball blasting off a trampolene? It's like that.

With the irons we also confirmed what I thought, I play much better with player or blade type irons from 5 or 6 and up. As I've said many times, the Razr forged are snazzy irons. Didn't beat the VRPC's but were pretty good none the less. Also for those that are sweepers where the miss is thin, give a serious look at the Razr X Tours. The sole size with that weight bar on the back is pretty ideal for a sweeping swing.

Wedges as expected weren't for me as there was too much bounce.

Lastly the ball was a clear and away winner in the Hex Black. The Hex Chrome felt nice but ended up spinning way too much on everything and I spin every club simply too much to begin with anyways. I actually got better results from the Diablo HX Tour in a 3 piecer. I'm looking forward to trying out the Hex Black on my round this weekend and I've already dropped the Hex Chrome off I got the other day and swapped them for Blacks.

Lastly some dude just offered me a bomb for the VRPC's with Programs. I think I'm going to take him up on it since I've got another set with DG SL's in them that I like just about as much.

Thus to keep on track I'm now pondering
Razr Fit, 10.5 with Kai'li 70
Razr Black 4 wood with Kai'li 70 (or Ilima 70 for more carry) or getting a 17 hybrid for this instead
Replacing the 5 iron with a 27 hybrid. Either a Razr X with Fubuki AX350 or another G20 with TFC Tour.

Hey super Tuna, where did you see it for $209 ?

Hey super Tuna, where did you see it for $209 ?

They might be sold out but that's what Monster Golf had them for when I looked a couple of days ago.

Not sure where to post this so here is as good a place as any. Spotted a cheap set of Mizuno MP 52 irons recently which are still available. Haven't really got a clue when it comes to forged clubs. Have read great things about these irons and I'm just wondering what are the newer models called? For example R9 progressed to R11, what did the MP 52s get replaced by? Also forged clubs can be adjusted for loft and lie pretty easily by my local pro, would I be right in saying that? Thanks to everybody on here hi has been really helpful in the past, counting on THP'ers vast knowledge and experience once again. Love this forum

, what did the MP 52s get replaced by? Also forged clubs can be adjusted for loft and lie pretty easily by my local pro, would I be right in saying that? Thanks to everybody on here hi has been really helpful in the past, counting on THP'ers vast knowledge and experience once again. Love this forum

MP53's. Next fall should be the MP54's if Mizzie sticks to the 2 year MP script. For what it's worth, the MP53 seemed like a huge jump forward over the 52's. Nicer sole grind, better feel and more forgiveness in a purdy package.
Yes, loft and lie adjustments should be easy for your pro/local builder
Cheers!

Just got a raise and a promotion so today I'm going to go buy a new driver!

I'm looking at four clubs:
*TaylorMade R11s
*TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour
*Callaway RAZR Fit
*Titleist 910D2

We'll see how it ends up. A lot will depend on the different stock shaft offerings. There is no leader in the clubhouse. I'm super stoked though!

*TaylorMade R11s
*Callaway RAZR Fit
*Titleist 910D2

We'll see how it ends up. A lot will depend on the different stock shaft offerings. There is no leader in the clubhouse. I'm super stoked though!

Thats a pretty serious list there. No Ping or Cleveland Classic?

I'm just not a fan of the aesthetics of the Cleveland classic and I'm not sure I could wrap my head around it. I haven't had much luck with Ping but I'll probably throw one in the lineup just to see if I'm missing anything. It'll depend a lot on what Golf Galaxy has in their fitting carts. It's pretty difficult to find left handed clubs to swing sometimes. Especially in Omaha.

Pondering a new 3 hybrid to replace my really old Rescue Mid from almost a decade ago... something that doesn't hook as much. There's a big demo day at the World Golf Village next weekend, so I'm going to go hit a bunch, but so far I like the look of the Nike VR S and Pro, Ping i20, and Callaway Razr.

I'm just not a fan of the aesthetics of the Cleveland classic and I'm not sure I could wrap my head around it. I haven't had much luck with Ping but I'll probably throw one in the lineup just to see if I'm missing anything. It'll depend a lot on what Golf Galaxy has in their fitting carts. It's pretty difficult to find left handed clubs to swing sometimes. Especially in Omaha.

Fair enough. Id say take a swing with the G20 if they have it. I think its a great driver and I think its $100 less then the others too.

Fair enough. Id say take a swing with the G20 if they have it. I think its a great driver and I think its $100 less then the others too.

Thanks for the tip! How are the stock shaft offerings in the Ping?

Thanks for the tip! How are the stock shaft offerings in the Ping?

I think the stock shaft on the G20 works quite well with the head. It's a head heavy club so the shaft is counter balanced to offset that weight. It works.

Beast mode from tapatalk

And to expand a little on what Kmac is saying, I quite like the stock offering in the G20. What it does well is works harmoniously with that driver head. It's a very forgiving driver but it does take a few swipes to get used to it.

I'd also throw in the Nike VRS, and per ST's fitting post the RAZR Black if you can find it.

From someone who just hit almost all the new stuff for two days last weekend at a huge demo day, do yourself a favor and put the G20 and I20 on the list if they have it. G20 wasn't even on my radar and I'm really glad the Ping fitter talked me into hitting it when he saw me hitting the I20. Dispersion is unreal and I like the stock pairing like the other guys. BTW, I'm coming from a D2 which i absolutely love and will keep - will see what happens with the G20. I would also hit the Fast 12 if you can - not pretty but performance was defnitely there for me.

Agree with you on the Cleveland Classic - thought the retro was cool and liked the deep face, but it looked really [small or cube-like - not sure the right word] at address. Really wanted to hit the J40 but Bridgestone was MIA.

PS - congrats on teh raise and promotion - great way to justify new gear

*TaylorMade R11s
*Callaway RAZR Fit
*Titleist 910D2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back