My First Big Golf Fitting

Rvick82

Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 16.5
So as some of you guys on here know, I got married in March of this year. For my wedding present, my amazing wife told me I could get a custom fitting for any golf clubs I wanted (and she would buy them for me)!! I decided I wanted to be fit for a driver and wedges. I made an appointment a week in advance and then the waiting game began...

I scheduled a fitting at the Tour Stop which is the hugh pro shop at the World of Golf Village in St. Augustine, Fl. I wasn't really able to sleep the night before, almost like a kid awaiting Christmas morning. The day finally came. I showed up about 10 mins early and my father-in-law (one of the people I play with the most), mother-in-law and wife came to hang out and watch my fitting. I went up stairs to the equipment center and told them I had a 12pm appointment. I met the pro that was going to fit me - a lady named Kim. She started out by asking me my handicap, my biggest strengths, weaknesses, goals, etc. The we began the fitting with the driver. I warmed up in their simulator - hitting a 7i. After I was good and loose, she handed me a driver (Ping G20) and we got lots of numbers. I was so caught up in the moment I completely forgot to get the numbers for post here. The only thing I remember her saying was my swing speed averaged 106 mph with the driver. After getting the numbers on the indoor launch monitor, she grabbed 5-6 shafts and 2 driver heads and we headed off to the outdoor driving range the see the actual ball flight.

Outdoor session # 1 - Callaway Razr Fit and Ping G20. There were also about half a dozen different shafts. I am sorry but I can't remember all of them. Off we went... I hit the G20 10.5 first with good results. However, as she noted, the ball flight was very high. She said I was loosing a good amount of distance. She then changed shafts. This helped a little but her and I still weren't satisfied - too high. We then switched to the Razr Fit with similar results. Still a very high ball flight even with different shafts and a lower degree on the driver face. However, I loved the feel of the Razr Fit but the club did not jump out at me as THE one. We tried lots of combinations of changing weights, face angles, shafts, etc. and still we both weren't satisfied. She then told me we would head back in and she would grab more heads and shafts, give me about a 10-15 min break and then we would head back out again.

Outdoor session # 2 - Callaway Razr Fit, Ping G20, Ping K15, Ping Anser, Titleist 910 D2 & D3 and Cleveland Classic. Also she grabbed more shafts than I can even begin to remember. It was awesome. The golf bag filled with tons of shafts and heads! We then tried the Ping G20 with a few other shafts... we definitely ruled that one out. Next was the Razr Fit with a few more shafts... better but nothing that really made us think it was THE combo for me. Next was the Ping K15... even worse. Big ballooning ball flight and we both said "no way' after a few drives with it. 3 of the 6 eliminated already. I was thinking I might not get one today after all. I then hit the Classic. It was a nice driver but still we just were not satisfied with the results. A decent ball flight but nothing really different than the others. Then came the Ping Anser. My first shot with it and we both just stood there in awe. I couldn't believe that just came off my driver. A nice piercing low trajectory that took off like a rocket! It carried close to 280 on the first swing! I was like, "we might have a winner right here". She told me not to get ahead of myself. She said that one "looked promising" but she said it ballooned slightly on me. She then changed to a different shaft. About the same. Then she put in a Diamana 'ahina 70 s-flex and holy crap! Trajectory was darn near perfect. I turned around and she and I were smiling ear to ear. She said "we are really close". Then to my surprise, she took out a different head and put it on there and said hit this one. I did and my jaw almost dropped. A darn near perfect ball flight. It came off the face like a rocket and started low and just took off into the air and carried for what seemed like an eternity until it floated nicely onto the ground. I was sold! I hit about 5 more with almost the exact same ball flight. She kept me from getting ahead of myself and we tried the Titleist D2 and D3 but it didn't even touch the Anser.

Driver chosen: Ping Anser set to 8.5 degrees with a Diamana 'ahina 70g s-flex.

A few notes: I went into the driver fitting with an open mind. I told her a few I wanted to try but ultimately I wanted her to pick the one that just worked. My biggest surprises were that I needed a heaver stiff flex and the fact she fit me to an 8.5 degree head! I though it was exaggerate my natural cut I am playing and make it more of a slice. But it just worked.

Outdoor session # 3 Wedges - I ended up trying the Taylormade ATV, Cleveland 588s, Titleist Vokey and Mizuno MP-R12. I started out by hitting each wedge (56) with a 1/2 to 3/4 swing to get the feel and flight of each wedge. The Mizuno's were eliminated almost immediately. The spinner shafts gave me WAY too much spin. I was spinning the ball backwards on the driving range grass! I then hit the Taylormade ATVs and really liked them a lot with the 1/2 to 3/4 shots. Felt nice and I really felt confident with them. I then hit the 588s and was in love. The best feeling wedge by far and my immediate favorite. Finally, we hit the Titleist Vokey. Not my favorite. Didn't really like the feel as much and it felt more harsh on my mishits than the 588s and ATVs. Then we headed off to the sand and the green to do some chipping. I liked the Vokeys better around the green than on 1/2 to 3/4 shots but we both decided those weren't the ones. I had it narrowed down to the 588s and the ATVs. Loved both of them. But to look at address and feel of the 588s edged out the ATVs. I decided on the Cleveland 588s and the stock wedge flex shaft worked much better than the aftermarket offerings for me.

Wedges chosen: Cleveland 588s 52/8 and 56/14 in the mirror finish with the stock true temper wedge flex shaft!

I am completely happy with my newest golf purchases! I was going to get out there today and play but my truck decided to break down today. Talk about a let down! Such is life.

The pro that did my fitting was outstanding and really helped me get it dialed in. The facilities were amazing! From the indoor launch monitors to the outdoor range, it was everything I hoped for.

Awesome write up and im pumped that you got some awesome new clubs that fit you perfectly.

Also congrats on the marriage.

Tap-taddict

Tapping my way forward as a MC hopeful

Sounds like a great day....congrats on the new weapons!

Sounds like a great fitting, I'm glad it worked out well and in the end you got what you needed. Congrats!!

sounds great, I'm glad you got a full fitting, mine is long overdo, I hope you hit straight arrows now!

That sounds like an awesome experience. Have fun hitting bombs with that new Anser

War Eagle from my iPhone

That makes me jealous.....wonder if my wife would let us get married again and do this for me?? Especially since when we got married, I don't think THP existed and I didn't play golf??

Great write up! That's so cool you got to do that and got fit for the right clubs for you! Congrats on the new clubs!

Great fitting and review! I've got to do that myself! It was fun reading about all the different drivers and shafts you tried until the one that just jumped out for you!! Great job!

Thanks guys! My fitting was everything I hoped for and more. I have eaten more than a few of my words and also debunked a few of my miss guided thoughts after my fitting. I always said, "I can hit just as well with a 200 driver as opposed to a 400 driver" - wrong. Also, I said "I will never pay $400 for a driver" - wrong again. Lol! The results were simply amazing!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Glad you found the one but just remember that it isn't the price tag that hits the ball. It is how well your swing goes with the club. Gotta go with what works best for you

Glad you found the one but just remember that it isn't the price tag that hits the ball. It is how well your swing goes with the club. Gotta go with what works best for you

Yeah man, i definitely know that. Just stating how I am eating my words about how I will never spend that for a club. For some reason, the best club for me was the most expensive. But its worth it when I make a good swing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Getting fitted is the only way to fly.

Back