My D Day is Tomorrow!

Splendorlex

Reaction score
Handicap
40+
We have a team outing at work tomorrow that I've been preparing for, which is how I initially I found THP. Initially, I was looking for advice as there's a bet on the line, and I want to win. Here's the situation. There are five people on my team:

• Manager Dave - played once or twice, maybe. Recently made a claim to us that he'd been hitting his drives "150 yards." Has me worried he's barely ever played.
  • Sherri - Never picked up a club in her life. Has gone to the driving range once to prepare.
  • Ryan (Me) - Averaged low 100s 10 years ago, just back to the game this year. Mid 90s for my best games.
  • Tim - Shoots mid to high 80s, low 80s on his best day. I'm unsure if he's ever broken 80, but played on his HS golf team.
  • Dan - Very similar to Tim, apparently Tim is slightly better, but it's close.

The bet puts Tim and Dan on one team, and Sherri, Dave and I on the other. Both teams are playing best ball. Sherri will also ride 9 with me, and 9 with Dave, and she will scramble with whoever she is riding with at the time. Tim and Dan are also giving us 30 strokes. Loser buys lunch for the team.

So really, in the end, it's me against Tim and Dan with 30 strokes. I figure if I break 100, which I am very capable of doing, we win. MAYBE I get help from Dave on a par 3 where I go off the rails, but I'm not counting on it. Sherri could also help with a putt here or there.

So tomorrow is the day, and I'll see if I can update as we go along, or at the very least give a wrap-up post tomorrow night.

Wish me luck!

Best of luck! Keep us updated!

Good luck!

Sounds fun, let us know how you do. Hopefully those lessons pay off!

Good luck!

Good luck. Sounds fun though!

Good Luck!

Good luck man. Hopefully my game isn't still in those di7's. You can blame me if you slice one.

Lol, may the Force be with you buddy! I know you can do it.

Have a good time and good luck!!

Good luck! Maybe your beginners will drop a putt or 2 for ya'. Where are you playing?

We're playing the Traditional at Countryside. Hopefully my driver is ready for the 600 yd Par 5.

So....

We won! The other guys decided to slightly alter the rules before we started. They gave us 25 strokes instead of 30, but my team scrambled the whole time. We ended up with a 98 against their 76. Apparently one of the guys on their side had a bad round overall, and wasn't much help. (We were 5 total, so couldn't play in one group.)

I played pretty well. I hit 2 or 3 of the best drives I've ever hit on any course. (Thanks to some THP advice, a lesson, and a lot of practice!) I hit my new driver great overall. I also stuck at least 4 shots beautifully. I stuck 50% wedge shots from about 40-50 yards within 5 feet of the pin, and also had a beautiful 9 iron from 110 out that stopped dead (though still about 12 feet from the pin.)

In all, I felt like there were 4 or so clubs that I felt very comfortable hitting all day. My driver, which is a miracle in itself. I used to NEVER hit driver but I struck some beautiful drives today. I also felt pretty good overall with my PW and 6 iron. The last, surprising club that really paid off for me is my old Adams Tight Lies Strong 3 that's about 8 years old or so. I used it a lot from the short rough and fairway, and hit it great most of the time. I tried it off the tee once as well, but that didn't work out. I tried my new Fybrid 5w a few times, but I have yet to hit a good shot with that club.

Overall, my putting was decent, but if it was a little better we would have won soundly. I left 3 par putts inches short.

Where I struggled the most was 170-200 yards out. I'm confident up until about 160 or so with my 6I, but I am NOT comfortable with my 5I or 4I, and the 5W didn't seem to be working for me. I think I have a gap in my set there I'll have to fill with something else. I've never tried any of those hybrid clubs.

One other question, what is the Gap Wedge distance supposed to be? I don't think they existed 10 years ago. :)

Awesome man congrats! It always gives me confidence when I just stripe a drive or 2. As for gap wedge, it's for the "gap" in distance between the pitching wedge and sand wedge. It all depends on how far you hit those.

That is great!! Odds were in your favor even with you getting 25 strokes, LOL. Keep up the practice.

Good luck!

That sounded pretty fun . Glad ya' won , Keep working on that swing .

and THP'ing of course !

Hey glad to hear you won! The gap wedge is a great club. It's the bridge the gab between your sw and pw as others have stated. For me with the club it was around 100-110. Hopefully that 5w will work out for you. It really is a great club. One of the best sounding clubs I've ever hit.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's operator error. :) I probably just need to keep working with it and get some confidence in it. I have great confidence in my old Adams, and I think that translates into how well I hit it.

Congrats Splendorlex, that's awesome! Glad to hear you're seeing improvement. Which course did you play?

We played the traditional course at Countryside. I've played the prairie course quite a few times, but this was only my second time on the traditional. It seems like there was a lot more length on the traditional.

We played the traditional course at Countryside. I've played the prairie course quite a few times, but this was only my second time on the traditional. It seems like there was a lot more length on the traditional.

Oh, that's right. I like the traditional there. I've only played it once, years ago. I'd like to play it again sometime soon. Glad everything went well for you. Have you checked in recently on the Chicagoland thread on possible meet ups?

Taking a look now DRP. Maybe we need to play Fox Lake sometime, I heard it's like $26 to ride after 2 on the weekends sometimes.

Also, I didn't realize it but apparently my boss took a pic of my 9-iron stick I hit on 10.

o2gd.jpg

Back