New School Pitching Technique: Do you do it this way?

Grins

AMDG
Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
Lately I've been seeing more and more videos/lessons, etc. describing hitting short shorts around the green with lots of bounce on the wedge - instead of chipping:

Here's Brady Riggs:
http://www.golf.com/video/new-school-pitching

And Matt Kuchar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqd83RdhkXU

And Ben Crane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZLuaxmT9gc

Does anyone do this as their predominant technique of pitching (instead of chipping)?

Lately I've been struggling with hitting these short shots off of tight lies. What is your experience with this situation?

I have been trying this more and more lately. I frequently feel more control with a pitch vs. the chip. As for the technique, absolutely. I have much more success with the shaft more straight up and down compared to the shaft lean. I used to chunk my pitch shots a lot until I started using a more up right shaft.

I have always had better luck doing it that way. The funny part is I kind of learned to do it on my own, but it is exactly the same way I do it. I use a 56 or 60 to do it depending on the pin position. I messed with the lower loft irons last year and lost a lot of time and strokes struggling with it. I went back to using my old standard and dropped my scores.

I don't think there's anything new school about it. It's simply good technique for hitting a pitch shot.

Whether you use a shaft-neutral pitch or a shaft-forward chip / chip-and-run will depend on the situation. Generally, if you can get the ball on the ground quickly, you should. So if you can chip it and let it run up there, that's the play. But if you've got a false front to go over or the green is running away from you, then you've got to get the ball up in the air to land softly, so the pitch is the play.

I don't think there's anything new school about it. It's simply good technique for hitting a pitch shot.

Whether you use a shaft-neutral pitch or a shaft-forward chip / chip-and-run will depend on the situation. Generally, if you can get the ball on the ground quickly, you should. So if you can chip it and let it run up there, that's the play. But if you've got a false front to go over or the green is running away from you, then you've got to get the ball up in the air to land softly, so the pitch is the play.

I have to agree. Utley has been teaching "use the bounce" pitches forever.

I guess I'm gonna need a lot more practice with this. Really srewed up all my pitches yesterday.

Youd think that using the bounce would be riskier because you have to be more precise in how far you hit the ball and in guessing how much spin you are going to get.
I'll stick to my bump and run. In most instances, its a higher percentage shot.

Sent from my grain flow forged iPhone using Tapatalk

Youd think that using the bounce would be riskier because you have to be more precise in how far you hit the ball and in guessing how much spin you are going to get.
I'll stick to my bump and run. In most instances, its a higher percentage shot.

Sent from my grain flow forged iPhone using Tapatalk

It's most definitely a higher risk shot. The bump and run should always be the go-to unless you have a false front or hazard to clear, IMHO.

I like what Phil Mickelson uses on his short game DVD. Definitely the "old school" method as referenced in some of those videos OP posted. I don't think I will be trying anything different out since I like what I'm doing using Phil's methods. But cool to see another way to do things. I say get it there by any method that works for you.

I like the way it was explained. I've been playing the ball in the middle of my stance which is shaft neutral. I will play the ball back(decreasing loft) to play the low ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Back