Trouble with Long Par 3s, or 180+ yards out - Hybrids?

Splendorlex

Reaction score
Handicap
40+
I can handle most of the basic shots on the course. I can drive well enough, I can chip and putt pretty well, and I'm pretty comfortable with my 6 iron on down. One area where I have real trouble that I need to work on are the longer yardages, whether it's longer par 3s (where I struggle with either hitting a long iron poorly, or try to hit my 5W which is not as accurate.) This also applies if I find myself 180+ yards out on a par 4 or 5. My current set goes from the 5W to a 4 iron, and I do not feel all that comfortable with the 4.

So anyhow, 10 years ago hybrids weren't really a "thing" like they are now, and therefore I'm not that familiar with how they work, what they replace, and so on. I'm guessing that they may fit this yardage area I have trouble with, and I thought I'd ask here for any thoughts on them or general advice.

I don't know what level player you are, but if you're a mid-to-higher handicapper, the first question to consider is whether you should be going for the green.

That's right - I'm suggesting you may want to layup on a par 3.

We have a hole on a course I frequently play which is pretty darn dangerous. There's water all to the left and in front. There's a bunker in front. If you go long, you're chipping downhill towards the water. If you go way right, you're in the waist-high junk trying to pitch to a green sloping away towards the water. The hole is 190 with no wind. If there's wind in the face it plays 200+.

The only safe places are on the green, or in the collection area short-right.

If my swing is not great that day, or if the wind is significantly in my face, I will sometimes layup into the collection area. It's far easier to control a 7-iron or 6-iron into the collection area than it to get my 4-hybrid or 5-wood on the green. With those long clubs, if I make a bad swing, I'm likely going to be in severe trouble and a double or worse is in play. If I layup a 7-iron, I'm almost guaranteed to be hitting from short grass, and I can try to get up and down for par. If not, I walk away quite content with bogey.

If you are going to hit a long club, for me, a big key is to try not to get tense. Rhythm is the thing which gives you the best chance to make smooth shot that goes relatively where you intend. My focus is letting gravity control the club in it's natural cycle and not trying to rush it. Typically it's when you try to give it a little extra or help the ball up that you end up making a really bad swing and end up WAY offline.

Of course the biggest challenge of this whole line of thinking is massaging your bruised ego. It's tough to layup on a par 3 when all your buddies are going for it and will certainly razz you for doing so. And of course there's the "what if" game. What if I had hit it on the green? I would have saved a shot. But you have to remember, what if I dunked it in the water or in the weeds? I'd probably be walking away with a triple. Figuring out the odds for each is crucial to your decision.

Finally, I will note that a lot of par 3's don't have a legitimate layup option. In that case, all you can do is to go for it and use that rhythmic swing previously discussed.

Whoops - realized after I wrote all that you were asking about the club specifics, not the strategy. My bad.

To answer the club specific question though, if you're currently struggling with long irons, hybrids are generally easier to hit and higher launching, so you should benefit from using one. With that said, they're nothing magical. A bad swing with a hybrid will go just as wild as a bad swing with a long iron or a fairway wood.

Last edited:
You sound like you'd definitely benefit from trying out some hybrids. I'm unsure exactly how far you hit the ball but go to a golf shop with a launch monitor and try some out? I've replaced my 3i with a 20* hybrid and fine it way more manageable and eastly to manicure the ball with. Theyrr designed to help get the ball in the air as well as be more forgiving than a long iron. Sorry if this didn't really help or answer your question.

I say you should get comfortable with your long irons as the experience will help your overall game. That being said a couple hybrids to cover the 180-210 range is a great idea. They really can simplify the game and add a lot of versatility. I would second what wadesworld said though, sometimes being way out on a par 4, its best to take your medicine and layup.

For me I hit my 5i about 185 and after that my hybrid can cover 190-210 (depending on where I grip). I even took out my 4i as I just don't need it and would rather hit the hybrid.

Last edited:
I usually shoot in the 90's, take that for what it is worth, but your mindset sounds like one I was facing before I purchased a 4(23 degree) hybrid. I struggle off the tee with my long irons, so whenever I came upon a par 3 that was around the 180-200 yard range I would tense up and try to swing my 4 iron too hard. That would usually result in terrible shot that would go nowhere or slice/hook off whichever way. Now with my hybrid I can swing easily and know that the ball will at least go around that distance.

If I was playing in competition or for money, I would probably take wadesworld's advice. If I am out playing by myself or with my buddies for fun, there is no way in hell I am laying up with a par 3. Last week on a 180 yard par 3, I used my 4 hybrid and came within a foot of the hole. Granted, a lucky bounce played a big factor in it being so close, but I know that shot would of been a lot less likely if I was using my 4 iron. Good luck going forward.

I carry a 7 wood at 19* of loft for exactly that kind of hole. I want approx. 175-180 yards of carry off the tee with a lower flight, and I want some forgiveness. I know that for some people that's a 4 hybrid or a 3 hybrid. My 4i can make that distance, but definitely doesn't offer that level of forgiveness off the tee.

I might be the only person to say a 7W here might be something to consider. But right now woods are unsexy and hybrids are sexy, but it's the same loft as a 3 hybrid, IIRC. If that's a hole you really want to get better at, depending on your yardages a lofted wood might be something to consider.

I remember the old pro on here Andy saying that everyone has a loft in there irons that they can hit that they max out at, maybe yours is your 5/6 iron. Hybrids are easier to hit than FW and are easier to hit out of the rough. I would look at maybe swapping out your 4 iron and going with 2 hybrids, say 20/21* and a 23/24.
As you say your 5w isn't really accurate Maybe try a 17* hybrid, whatever you do try lots of clubs and have fun.

I bought a 4h last year for this exact reason. The courses I get to play regularly all have at least one Par 3 that plays 175+. One is 170 with a significant uphill, the other is 175 with 160 of that being wet. I struggled a lot with my 4i, and the 4h gave me more consistent results. I use my 4i as a "practice" club - when I can swing the 4i well, my other iron shots feel really easy. But the 4h is in the bag when I'm on the course.

I carry a 7 wood at 19* of loft for exactly that kind of hole. I want approx. 175-180 yards of carry off the tee with a lower flight, and I want some forgiveness. I know that for some people that's a 4 hybrid or a 3 hybrid. My 4i can make that distance, but definitely doesn't offer that level of forgiveness off the tee.

I might be the only person to say a 7W here might be something to consider. But right now woods are unsexy and hybrids are sexy, but it's the same loft as a 3 hybrid, IIRC. If that's a hole you really want to get better at, depending on your yardages a lofted wood might be something to consider.

Nope, I was thinking the same thing. I carry a 7 Wood for those 190-210 yard Par 3's and a few tee shots on dogleg holes. I hit it much higher than my hybrids, and it's a really forgiving club from the fairway as well.

10 months ago I was lost and confused as soon as I was 175 yards out or further which led to some bad holes especially on long par 3's. Quite frankly I spent so much time practicing driver and wedges that I never spent the appropriate amount of time honing the "long approach" side of my game.

For me, personally, the wake up call was when I posted a "Play this shot" thread on THP with a carry of 175 over a lake to a green (into the wind) and almost everyone on THP from the low cappers to the high cappers said "I'm going for it, no question!". Every time I stood above that shot I was shakin' in my Nike's with zero confidence. I knew then that I had to improve my game instead of avoiding it.

Enter the J40 Hybrid 24*. This thing has changed my game in a big way. There are many great hybrids out there but this is the one that worked for me. I am a big fan of hybrids personally and I think they make a tough part of the game so much easier. I think the ease of use from awkward lies is what sets a hybrid above a FW for me, and they tend to spin much more in my experience to help hold some greens. I say try some hybrids and see what they can do for you.

I would say 7 wood or hybrid. I always used a 3 and 5 wood and left the hybrid game to others until last year. Got an Adams XTD at 19* and it has enough pop where I can play it the same distance as my 5 wood if I really go after it, but a nice smooth swing puts me between 175-180 yards. It took me a little while to really dial it in and get comfortable with the club. Honestly now I use it as a regular layup on par 5's also - one of the top clubs in my bag for sure. There are a lot of hybrids on the market so find the one that LOOKS good to you. I loved the mashie but it had way too much offset for my eye and was a hook machine. Best of luck.

I struggle off the tee with my long irons.... Now with my hybrid I can swing easily and know that the ball will at least go around that distance

^This^ (coming from the guy at the 100 barrier) same here, also struggle with the long irons.

Love the 3-4 Taylormade's hybrids, hit them well, probably better than everything below the seven iron.

I fear my five iron (Taylormade 2.0), the five iron realizes this and takes full advantage of me.

After struggling the last two years with my 3i & 4i I decided not to get them when I ordered my Ping G20's in March but I knew I had to fill the gaps between my 5i and 3W-14.5*, so I went shopping for Hybrids and I'm glad I did they have both been awesome for my game, but of course I needed to practice with them.

The Cally X-Hot 20* was the 1st one I bought and it gives me a distance of between 200-210 after I was confident that those distances would be consistent for me I went looking for a club to fill the 185-195 yardage as I hit my 5i-26* about 180 but not with confidence and I found the Cobra Amp Cell 4/5h and the adjustably was the reason for getting it, being able to swing the loft from 22* - 25* allowed me too dial it in to the 185-195 distance I needed and I have played some of my best golf this year hitting my personal best of 75 and 5 more rounds in the 70 when in the past 20 yrs I only hit in the 70's twice. Like mentioned above go hit them there alot of good ones out there and they are alot easier to hit then a 3i or 4i for sure....

I will agree with everyone on here and say that hybrids are excellent clubs. I currently don't carry a 3i and it's replaced with a 24 degree hybrid. I like it so much I am thinking about removing my 5 wood for a 20-22 degree hybrid. They are very easy to hit and get into the air which is very important for appraoch shots into par 3's and 4's. Get one that looks good to you at address and it will really help.

^This^ (coming from the guy at the 100 barrier) same here, also struggle with the long irons.

Love the 3-4 Taylormade's hybrids, hit them well, probably better than everything below the seven iron.

I fear my five iron (Taylormade 2.0), the five iron realizes this and takes full advantage of me.

My Adams A3OS set is 3-5 hybrid, so I don't have to worry about a 5i. I love the three hybrid setup as it just gives me a little more confidence deeper into my bag. My brother has 3-4 hybrids that he loves, but he struggles with his 5i and I think it is a confidence thing.

To address the wood vs hybrid talk, I took out my 3 wood and got a 2h; I give up a little distance from a shorter shaft but got a lot more control and am happy with the trade off.

To address the wood vs hybrid talk, I took out my 3 wood and got a 2h; I give up a little distance from a shorter shaft but got a lot more control and am happy with the trade off.

I tried that as well, it didn't work out for me. I was a hook machine with the Taylormade Burner hybrid, so I thought maybe I needed a more "players" hybrid and picked up an Adams Pro Black that I couldn't make work either. I guess I either need to practice hybrids more, or just stick with irons/woods. I've actually taken the 4 and 5 hybrids out of my bag because I hooked them so badly and went back to irons. I don't get them in the air as high or hit them as long, but at least I can hit them straight for now.

For me, the long par 3's & super tight fairways are the only reason I carry a 3 iron (OK I lied - punching out from under trees was made for a 3 iron) ... my absolute favorite club for these applications - always surprises me how long it is & misses are never as wild as they are for woods or hybrids. Tee up that 3 iron a tad higher than you ususally would & play it rear of center for those long par 3's.

Thanks everyone, lots of good thoughts and advice. This is also not meant totally to be a "should I get hybrids" post, but I'm also always open to other feedback, like what Wadesworld offered. My driving range has a full service pro shop, so maybe they'll let me hit a few hybrids the next time I'm there. Do they do that? I've never asked before. :)

Thanks everyone, lots of good thoughts and advice. This is also not meant totally to be a "should I get hybrids" post, but I'm also always open to other feedback, like what Wadesworld offered. My driving range has a full service pro shop, so maybe they'll let me hit a few hybrids the next time I'm there. Do they do that? I've never asked before. :)

I've seen some driving ranges that will. It doesn't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is "no."

Nope, I was thinking the same thing. I carry a 7 Wood for those 190-210 yard Par 3's and a few tee shots on dogleg holes. I hit it much higher than my hybrids, and it's a really forgiving club from the fairway as well.

same here - I love a 7 wood, but lately have been struggling a bit with it flying too high, so I'm back to the hybrid. 7 woods are great clubs off the tee and fairway when you need accuracy.

Honestly a hybrid was made for this kind of shot, 180 in on any hole and especially if you want it to go high and land soft, they were made for it.

So anyhow, 10 years ago hybrids weren't really a "thing" like they are now, and therefore I'm not that familiar with how they work, what they replace, and so on. I'm guessing that they may fit this yardage area I have trouble with, and I thought I'd ask here for any thoughts on them or general advice.

Hybrids are usually longer is distance than irons and also longer in shaft. I don't play an iron past the 6i. My replacements are 1h 15*= strong 3w 13*, 2h 18*=strong 7w, 3h-5h = 3i-5i. I can't exactly tell you what hybrid replaces what iron because lofts are all different as well as length. The newer Adams hybrids (huge Adams fan) are long and forgiving but you have to know how to hit a hybrid. I'm not going to tell you to layup on a par 3 because it's your golf game and score. I will say that playing smarter golf can almost always lead to lower scores = to higher confidence = more GIR = beating friends in strokes = happier you.

This is where new technology is helping a bit, at least for me as a long player. The longest club I'll hit off the deck is my 5i, which I can carry 210 consistently. Like someone else mentioned, I'll lay-up 80% of the time if I have 220+ in on a par 4/5.. it's just the smart move. I'm still improving my ability with the club, as any iron with a low loft is going to take a good swing to hit it effectively (and a more sweeping motion, which is hard to consistently put into practice).

But feeling really, really confident about every 7-iron swing and getting nearly 200 on that club when I get into it.. that's something new for me.

Hybrids and rescue clubs are a common site now...heck there are plenty of tour pros that carry hybrids now.

They are easier to hit high and soft and much easier to control...depending on the set you can find hybrids to replace most irons.....The Cleveland Altitude set it almost all hybrid type clubs.

I am carrying a 2 and 4 hybrid right now and love them...very easy to hit off the deck and they work well off the tee for short par 4's or par 3's. Find a golf shop that has demo clubs and go try them out...I promise your game will thank you.

I have an Adams Super LS 19 degree (a 3h) that is very much a go to club for me. Not a long hitter, so it is a 170-175 type club, but it's hittable out of short rough easily and it has a beautiful high ball flight. I really like that club a lot.

Last edited:
Back