Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Wedge Preview

The laser milling on these wedges looks incredible. Can't wait to see it up and close in person next week!

I'll give you a hint, it looks better. Hehe

I just got a 60* with a C-Grind. I'll start chiming in with these guys once I hit it.

Saw these at Golf Galaxy and if they had a 54 I would have owned one, good thing they didn't so I just got my old 54 regripped.

Hard to make a decision on this. I have a 56* Jaw that I love and use alot. I'm think about a 56* MD2 and bending my 56* Jaws to a 58* and dropping my 3 hybrid out of my bag sometimes. I already have a Mizuno 52* so I don't need to bend the older 56* the other way.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

How is each finish wearing from those who have them? I cannot decide which finish to get in these wedges. I am thinking of going one of each, 52 in chrome and 56 or 58 in slate. However, that stresses me out having the same wedges in different finishes. Not to sure why though.

I really love the look of both wedges!

Alright first day, so I'll post thoughts...

Looks: This is a great-looking club. Classic chrome finish is beautiful. The laser-milled face pattern is way cool, it's epic. I will say that it glares on square shots. When I open it the glare goes away, but it does glare in the sunlight. I love the look, but the glare is slightly off-putting.

Feel: Forged, butter-soft feel. Love the feel. So nice and soft. However, I haven't hit it full yet. Will update later.

Spin: So spinny. Spinnier than my dad's old SM2 Vokey with the non-conforming grooves. Great spin and extreme stopping-power. Throw in a DG Spinner or KBS Hi-Rev and it will be scary spinny. Spin is awesome. My opponent commented on how much spin I got with it.

Playability: This and spin are it's best qualities. I have a 60* C-Grind and to say it's versatile would be a massive understatement. I had many buried and bare lies today and was able to open the face and get under it with ease. Most playable wedge I've ever seen.

Those are my rushed, quick thoughts and will update later. Hope this helps.

My custom 52* AND 58* were ordered on 7/24 and have already shipped. Looking forwards to some more jimmy in my short game.

i got out for a round with these today i finally feel like i'm really dialing these in. i hit great full shots great pelz shots great pitches and great chips all round with them. i don't think i had a chip that wasn't a tap in and i missed a few greens. i wasn't sure if these would stay in the bag as i have 3 sets of wedges that i really like but after todays round they are staying in for the foreseeable future. no more doubts in my mind. i love putting jimmy on the ball with these theres quite a few times i thought i'd roll past and they just check up so well. its really impressive for a conforming grooves wedge. i wanna do a full review of these soon when i get out for another round and really track how much i use them and how well i hit them.

The MD2 are different than any other wedges I have ever played. I can't put my finger on it but as far as I can tell with my limited time with them. The ball doesn't stay on the face to very long. They have a very crisp exit from face. The spin is fine, nothing heart stopping to date but I didn't need them all that much this past weekend.
When I did use them it was out of the bunkers and I do believe I had a very high percentage of up and downs. I carried two MD2, a 52* bent to 50* and a 56* bent to 54*. I had no issue with finesse shots, I just opens the face and let the club do the work. I'll have more feedback as I play more and more this summer. My initial thoughts are all positive.

I'm getting more and more comfortable with mine, after struggling with them a bit at Myrtle. These are definitely going to be some great wedges once I get fully acclimated. However, despite my short time with them at Myrtle, I was fantastic with them on 98% of my sand shots - the two successive bladed ones excepted of course.

Do these things just destroy balls? The previous MD grooves were spinny as heck, but a 75%+ shot and that ball was unplayable after.

Do these things just destroy balls? The previous MD grooves were spinny as heck, but a 75%+ shot and that ball was unplayable after.

I saw Jake rip the heck out of a brand new ball this past Sunday. He got vicious on it though.

I personally never had ANY problem with them eating golf balls during my review.

I personally never had ANY problem with them eating golf balls during my review.

Thanks for the reminder, these shredded the Callaway blacks I was using and chrome+ jake was using. It was instant

i recently had the old MD wedges this year and these are no where close to the spin of the original but no wedges are anymore i think for conforming grooves these spin a good amount all my shots are sticking right where they are landing for the most part as for the balls they aren't destroying any my balls like the original either. i have had some marks when i really went after a ball but nothing i would need a new ball for right away.

Thanks for the reminder, these shredded the Callaway blacks I was using and chrome+ jake was using. It was instant
Jake was saying the same thing. Shreddin' balls.

Jake was saying the same thing. Shreddin' balls.

Took the new MD2's out today, played a Hex Black Tour and did not notice any unusual shredding.

Took the new MD2's out today, played a Hex Black Tour and did not notice any unusual shredding.

You and I just aren't good enough to shred golf balls. Hahaha

You and I just aren't good enough to shred golf balls. Hahaha

You guys need to start gnawing on some bamboo. #PandaPower

i recently had the old MD wedges this year and these are no where close to the spin of the original but no wedges are anymore i think for conforming grooves these spin a good amount all my shots are sticking right where they are landing for the most part as for the balls they aren't destroying any my balls like the original either. i have had some marks when i really went after a ball but nothing i would need a new ball for right away.

I took my 58 MD Xforged out against the MD2 when I was doing the review and it was hilarious, I forgot just how much those truly ATE golf balls, urethane or not.

I am going to work on taking some serious George Costanza hair piece divots.

Received my 56* in the mail today. Can't wait to hit it over the weekend.

Finally getting in this thread to discuss some MD2 from this past weekend at the Morgan Cup. After playing 1 practice round, 2 range sessions and 3 MC rounds I'm hear to say that these are some darn good wedges. Very good. I like a lot. Really good spin for me around the greens but not too much hitting full shots. Love the feel of the ball on these. I REALLY like these out of the bunkers. Great feel.

Don't get use to the laser milling on the face, it comes off fast! I also got the slate finish and it's starting to wear at the sole and the face, sort of like the Bridgestone wedges. I like that. I also didn't see any ball defects from the wedges or my rounds. I think my old Vokey's were a lot harsher on the balls that these MD2's for some reason. Really good experience with these wedges and I look forward to spending some more time with them and getting my distances honed in with them.

Finally getting in this thread to discuss some MD2 from this past weekend at the Morgan Cup. After playing 1 practice round, 2 range sessions and 3 MC rounds I'm hear to say that these are some darn good wedges. Very good. I like a lot. Really good spin for me around the greens but not too much hitting full shots. Love the feel of the ball on these. I REALLY like these out of the bunkers. Great feel.

Don't get use to the laser milling on the face, it comes off fast! I also got the slate finish and it's starting to wear at the sole and the face, sort of like the Bridgestone wedges. I like that. I also didn't see any ball defects from the wedges or my rounds. I think my old Vokey's were a lot harsher on the balls that these MD2's for some reason. Really good experience with these wedges and I look forward to spending some more time with them and getting my distances honed in with them.

I'm with you Nate. Although I got the 60* with C grind, I love playing it out of the bunker. I usually use my SAND wedge, but this is so much easier to get under the ball and it doesn't roll out like crazy.

I'm with you Nate. Although I got the 60* with C grind, I love playing it out of the bunker. I usually use my SAND wedge, but this is so much easier to get under the ball and it doesn't roll out like crazy.

Somewhere I got away from hitting my 60 degree out of bunkers and I think it's because I just couldn't do it very well with the Vokey's. So my bunker play suffered a lot. But I went back to the 60 degree this last weekend and loved what I was doing again with it. I got in a bad habit in taking half swings with my 56 degree so had some of that happening with the 60, but when I thought about that and made good full swings I loved it!

Back