rx evolution
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 143

Thread: Brands That Are Gone - Do You Miss Them?

  1. #91
    saupere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    14
    Member
    24709
    Handicap
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have several brands of clubs from manufacturers no longer in business. I have a set of MacGregor MT's circa 1981-82 which were forged blades similar in shape to the Nike's that Tiger Woods plays today. I know MacGregor probably had 50 different models called MT. These weren't musclebacks nor were they cavity backs either. These had a smooth, slightly pear-shaped back side to them. I still have them today, reshafted them with True Temper Gold Plus's Regular Flex as I got older. It's a shame what happened to MacGregor.

    Another little company that I was sorry to see go was Cubic Balance. Not sure why they went under, perhaps they tried to make too many different models. But I'll tell you this, when they shut down they left a very good product on the table. I'm talking about the Ti-Zirc Easy Air fairway woods in the 15 degree and 18 degree lofts. These were low-profile fairway woods that came out not long after the Tight Lies hit the scene, maybe 1998. They even had an infomercial but by 2002 they were gone. They also had a 10 degree "fairway driver" which was difficult to hit with such low loft. These clubs made a very unusual high pitched ping sound when you hit them on the sweet spot. If you missed the sweet spot and toed it for instance, you would not hear that ping. Talk about punching a hole in the sky. What a club. Not sure if they came in other lofts besides the 10, 15 and 18.

    Also owned a set of the Hogan Edges, original cavity back model, gave them to my son-in-law because the shafts (4) were too stiff for me as I got older.

    I also became attached to a brand of shaft called SK Fiber. In the mid-90's about the time that AJ Tech came out with the large dia shaft that required no grip, SK Fiber came out with the Tornado or Big-T shaft for woods. It had an .811 dia butt end that required a wrap-on grip by Winn Grips. Of course the shaft never took off but I sure liked it because it added 15-30 yards to my fairway wood shots. Winn Grips stopped producing the wrap-on grips, but no matter, the Easton wrap-on baseball bat grips work just as well and are in fact much longer lasting. Anyway SK Fiber was sold by the Korean gentleman who started the company to a man from Alabama and the man from Alabama who I did business with a few times, eventually sold to Hireko Golf in California, the same company that bought Dynacraft. But the shafts I liked were discontinued. SK Fiber still exists but I'm not sure if the manufacturing processes that made their shafts so distinct are still being adhered to. As far as I can tell Hireko is a joke.
    Last edited by saupere; 10-29-2014 at 03:51 PM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to saupere For This Useful Post:

    Jman (10-10-2014)

  3. #92
    Finley Thinks I'm Cute

    Jman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    65,034
    Member
    1579
    Handicap
    6.4
    Thanks
    14,314
    Thanked 27,699 Times in 12,548 Posts
    I like this bump, a lot, and welcome to THP!! Glad you found us!

    Still Nickent for me. TRUE, Nickent with Hoeffy in charge. I need to grab a set of 3DX Pro's again just because.
    WITB:
    Callaway -
    Great Big Bertha 10.5 - Grandura 590

    Callaway - Bertha Mini 1.5 15.0 - Project X LZ70 Handcrafted
    Callaway - V-Series Heavenwood 20.5 - Aldila Tour Green
    Callaway - XR 25.0/28.0 - UST Mamiya iROD
    Callaway - XR Pro 6-UW- Matrix Program 95
    Callaway - MD2 PM Grind 56.0/60.0 - KBS Tour V
    SeeMore - SB2 Limited

    In for Review:
    Srixon - 355 10.5 - Miyazaki Jinkosu
    Grandura - 590
    NO1
    - 50 Pro Grips


    CAPTAIN of
    in the #Grandaddy3 VS the #ZooCrew

  4. #93
    Major Champion Speedliner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ, Philly metro
    Posts
    2,115
    Member
    10919
    Handicap
    36
    Thanks
    718
    Thanked 302 Times in 209 Posts
    Palmer. I loved my Palmer Axioms in the 80s. One of the better sets from the Ping Eye era. I wish I could see what a 2014 version would be like.
    Driver: Cleveland Altitude 588
    FW: Adams Speedline F11 3&5
    Irons: Callaway Razr X, Graphite R, 3-4h,5-PW
    Wedges: Miura 53, 58
    Putter: Scotty GoLo 5

  5. #94
    Major Champion Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,087
    Member
    1680
    Handicap
    17
    Thanks
    517
    Thanked 290 Times in 216 Posts
    My first 3 wood was a Nickent. Great club.

    My first set of irons were Prince Thundersticks, from the tennis company. Best grip I ever used.

    Later I had a set of Giant Golf GX2 Irons.








    I always like to see a person stand up to a golf ball as though he were perfectly at home in its presence.

    - Bobby Jones

  6. #95
    On the Verge Franklin51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ardmore AL
    Posts
    3,133
    Member
    8317
    Handicap
    16
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 258 Times in 162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saupere View Post
    I have several brands of clubs from manufacturers no longer in business. I have a set of MacGregor MT's circa 1981-82 which were forged blades similar in shape to the Nike's that Tiger Woods plays today. I know MacGregor probably had 50 different models called MT. These weren't musclebacks nor were they cavity backs either. These had a smooth, slightly pear-shaped back side to them. I still have them today, reshafted them with True Temper Gold Plus's Regular Flex as I got older. It's a shame what happened to MacGregor.

    Another little company that I was sorry to see go was Cubic Balance. Not sure why they went under, perhaps they tried to make too many different models. But I'll tell you this, when they shut down they left a very good product on the table. I'm talking about the Ti-Zirc Easy Air fairway woods in the 15 degree and 18 degree lofts. These were low-profile fairway woods that came out not long after the Tight Lies hit the scene, maybe 1998. They even had an infomercial but by 2002 they were gone. They also had a 10 degree "fairway driver" which was difficult to hit with such low loft. These clubs made a very unusual high pitched ping sound when you hit them on the sweet spot. If you missed the sweet spot and toed it for instance, you would not hear that ping. Talk about punching a hole in the sky. What a club. Not sure if they came in other lofts besides the 10, 15 and 18.

    Also owned a set of the Hogan Edges, original cavity back model, gave them to my son-in-law because the shafts (4) were too stiff for me as I got older.

    I also became attached to a brand of shaft called SK Fiber. In the mid-90's about the time that AJ Tech came out with the large dia shaft that required no grip, SK Fiber came out with the Tornado or Big-T shaft for woods. It had an .811 dia butt end that required a wrap-on grip by Winn Grips. Of course the shaft never took off but I sure liked it because it added 15-30 yards to my fairway wood shots. Winn Grips stopped producing the wrap-on grips, but no matter, the Easton wrap-on baseball bat grips work just as well and are in fact much longer lasting. Anyway SK Fiber was sold by the Korean gentleman who started the company to a man from Georgia and the man from Georgia who I did business with a few times, eventually sold to Hireko Golf in California, the same company that bought Dynacraft. But the shafts I liked were discontinued. SK Fiber still exists but I'm not sure if the manufacturing processes that made their shafts so distinct are still being adhered to. As far as I can tell Hireko is a joke.
    At one time SK Fiber was right down the road here from where I work
    Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5
    Big Bertha 15
    X2Hot Pro 20
    Razr X Tour 4-AW
    Mac Daddy 2 55S & 60 U

    SR2
    Pro Platinum

    **A bad day golfing is better than a good day working**

  7. #96
    Tour Pro Dr RosenRosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    928
    Member
    20610
    Handicap
    8.2
    Thanks
    508
    Thanked 558 Times in 251 Posts
    Nickent made amazing hybrids. The 3DX was the first hybrid I ever owned. I also miss Sonartec and still play a Sonartec 3 wood. MacGregor VIPs...Hogan Edge and Hogan wedges.

    Man, I miss some of those companies.
    Driver: G25 10.5* with TFC 189D Stiff Shaft
    Fairway: G25 15* with TFC 189F Stiff Shaft
    Hybrid: HB-001 19* w/ ONiN2
    Irons: XR Pro (4 - AW) w/ Tour 90V
    Wedges: MD 2 54*, 58*
    Putter: Studio Design 1.5



  8. #97
    On the Verge Franklin51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ardmore AL
    Posts
    3,133
    Member
    8317
    Handicap
    16
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 258 Times in 162 Posts
    I wonder if in 5 years we will be saying the same thing about Adams?
    Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5
    Big Bertha 15
    X2Hot Pro 20
    Razr X Tour 4-AW
    Mac Daddy 2 55S & 60 U

    SR2
    Pro Platinum

    **A bad day golfing is better than a good day working**

  9. #98
    Major Champion
    sposey013168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    5,788
    Member
    14224
    Handicap
    12
    Thanks
    8,706
    Thanked 4,846 Times in 2,170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin51 View Post
    I wonder if in 5 years we will be saying the same thing about Adams?
    If they are gone I will be saying I miss them.

    Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Big Berta Alpha 815 (Thanks Ron) Testing shafts
    BB 3 wood stiff
    Adams Pro 20 degree Hybrid
    Adams Pro 23 degree hybrid
    Apex 5 - PW KBS Tour V stiff
    MD2, 50 and 54 KBS tour V stiff
    Vokey 60
    SeeMore Si1 33 inches

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to sposey013168 For This Useful Post:

    Sanzabar (10-10-2014)

  11. #99
    Thirsty Which Tree?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    suburbia, WA
    Posts
    464
    Member
    5704
    Handicap
    thinking
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 111 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin51 View Post
    I wonder if in 5 years we will be saying the same thing about Adams?
    I was going to say the same thing...

    My first 'real' set of clubs was just 4 years ago or so.

    Nickent Driver
    Adams Irons
    Yes putter
    Gamer V2 balls

    Seems all are going or have gone the way of the Dodo bird.
    -----------Classic XL Custom Driver
    -----------Classic XL 3wood
    -----------588 hybrids (3&4)
    --------Bio Cell irons (5-SW)
    -----------Smart Sole S 58* wedge
    ------------PCB putter 35" w/ SS mid 3.0 grip
    -------------Q-Star bawls considering a ball switch...

  12. #100
    #TeamCallaway HoosierGolfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    East Central Indiana
    Posts
    14,635
    Member
    1091
    Handicap
    10.1
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JRod View Post
    The best golf I ever played was with my Tommy Armour 855's with Loomis graphite shafts. They were amazing.
    Why not still game them? I play my 855's at least once a week. Shot my lowest scrore's ever with those irons but in stiff steel.

    Driver: XR 12* @ 44"
    3 Wood: XR 15* @ 43"
    5 Wood: XR 19* @ 42"
    4 Hybrid: XR 22*
    5 Hybrid: XR 25*
    Irons: XR 7 thru 9
    Wedges: XR 44* & 49* & 54* and Mack Daddy PM Grind 58*
    Ball: HEX Warbird Yellow
    Putter: Versa #1 White w/Super Stroke 3.0


  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HoosierGolfer For This Useful Post:

    beeDoubleU (10-10-2014),Mystery Meat (10-10-2014)

  14. #101
    Mini Tour Player beeDoubleU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Camden County, NJ
    Posts
    748
    Member
    22500
    Handicap
    9.1
    Thanks
    3,413
    Thanked 344 Times in 256 Posts
    I think Lynx still makes clubs, but they're off the radar anymore. I had a set of Boom Boom woods that were great. The 9 degree driver had a Harrison shaft I carried it 180 and got like 40 yards of roll. Those were the days....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Driver: Cobra Bio Cell Black
    Fairway: Cobra Amp Cell Silver 3/4
    Fairway: Cobra Bio Cell black 5/6
    Irons: Cleveland 588 TT 4-PW
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB Black Pearl 48*, Cleveland RTX CB Black Pearl 54*, Mizuno MP-R12 58*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Detour 2 with a THP Sushi headcover!
    Ball: Maxfli u/6, Bridgestone RXS

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to beeDoubleU For This Useful Post:

    Mystery Meat (10-10-2014)

  16. #102
    SeeMore Junkie Sox Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South Georgia
    Posts
    11,523
    Member
    9583
    Handicap
    5.0
    Thanks
    6,442
    Thanked 6,605 Times in 3,510 Posts
    I sorely miss Hogan and the Apex Edge Pros. Best irons I have ever owned hands down. Will be interested to see the new generation of Hogan irons in 2015.
    Driver: Big Bertha Alpha 815 10.5* w/ Speeder 661
    FW: Big Bertha V Series 3W and XHot Pro 5W
    Hybrid:
    Z H45 22*
    Irons: Z545 5 - P w/ Recoil 95
    Wedges: RTX 2.0 50*/54*/58* w/ Recoil 110
    Putters: rotation: m8 PR, mFGP DF,FGP Tour, m7 PR, ONEcs, m2c, z2c, mFGP2
    Ball: B330-RX / Chrome Soft



  17. #103
    Ben Hogan Fan Mystery Meat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    3,140
    Member
    20760
    Handicap
    Blind
    Thanks
    1,690
    Thanked 750 Times in 507 Posts
    1985( or around there ) my folks bought me my first set of real clubs , instead of using hand me downs . A set of Ram Accubars .. They had some of the first metal woods to hit the market , kinda looked like a hybrid . Hit some great shots with those buggers . Even did a search of ebay , and low and behold , there they were . I have so many clubs I can open a pro shop , but no clubs were sweeter than those Ram Accubars

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mystery Meat For This Useful Post:

    beeDoubleU (10-10-2014)

  19. #104
    Junior Golfer
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Surrey, BC
    Posts
    89
    Member
    23676
    Handicap
    12ish
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Still have my Nickent 3dx 4h in the bag. Gave my orlimar fw woods to my brother but might steal them back this weekend after reading this thread

  20. #105
    Mini Tour Player beeDoubleU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Camden County, NJ
    Posts
    748
    Member
    22500
    Handicap
    9.1
    Thanks
    3,413
    Thanked 344 Times in 256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Meat View Post
    1985( or around there ) my folks bought me my first set of real clubs , instead of using hand me downs . A set of Ram Accubars .. They had some of the first metal woods to hit the market , kinda looked like a hybrid . Hit some great shots with those buggers . Even did a search of ebay , and low and behold , there they were . I have so many clubs I can open a pro shop , but no clubs were sweeter than those Ram Accubars
    I liked The Ram clubs. I had a Ram Tom Watson 60 degree wedge that was amazing. I traded it for a mizuno wedge and I still regret it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Driver: Cobra Bio Cell Black
    Fairway: Cobra Amp Cell Silver 3/4
    Fairway: Cobra Bio Cell black 5/6
    Irons: Cleveland 588 TT 4-PW
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB Black Pearl 48*, Cleveland RTX CB Black Pearl 54*, Mizuno MP-R12 58*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Detour 2 with a THP Sushi headcover!
    Ball: Maxfli u/6, Bridgestone RXS

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to beeDoubleU For This Useful Post:

    Mystery Meat (10-11-2014)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •