Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Hit the i20 in the store today to get a feel for the CFS shaft again. Tell you what, that shaft is fantastic. Stability is incredible and the overall feel felt on the money. In steel there may be no need to look further. Ping did a great job putting this shaft with the i20 head. Wish I could have gotten real numbers to confirm what I was seeing and feeling.

Been using DG xp300s in mizuno mx-300, any body have a comparison to CFS shaft in either stiff or soft stepped x?

Thanks for the reviews guys. Thinking about these clubs.

Been using DG xp300s in mizuno mx-300, any body have a comparison to CFS shaft in either stiff or soft stepped x?

I don't know of any hard specs on the CFS shaft. I've hit DG XP's lots and it's a good shaft if heavier than I prefer. It's something you should demo for yourself if possible. I feel much more in control with the CFS even though I'm not testing that setup.

Quite sure some others can chime in.

Edit: Thanks for reading MacMan!

I don't know of any hard specs on the CFS shaft. I've hit DG XP's lots and it's a good shaft if heavier than I prefer. It's something you should demo for yourself if possible. I feel much more in control with the CFS even though I'm not testing that setup.

Quite sure some others can chime in.

Edit: Thanks for reading MacMan!

I've used both. The CFS shafts load nice and smooth but you can tell by the feel and flatter call flight that the CFS shafts are more stable in the tip. Also, if you are a high spin player then the CFS shafts are going to bring that spin number down a bit more than the XP model will.

The DG XP 300's are heavier shafts that probably load a little bit easier, but that's because they have a very flexible tip section. For most people this is going to mean that the CFS shafts are going to have a bit more penetrating flight trajectory and tighter side to side dispersion.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Dynalights or Dynamc Gold XP's?
If it's the Dynalight XP's that came stock in the MX300's the CFS will launch lower and spin less in matching iron flexes.

Still trying to get the distances worked out on my i20's. When I mishit the ball a bit my distances are in line with my old irons but when I catch it right I have been flying my intended landing area by anywhere from 5 to 10 yards.

You would think it'd be an easy fix. Just club down one, right? I'm just finding it a bit difficult to trust the new distances though. Weird, right?

Still trying to get the distances worked out on my i20's. When I mishit the ball a bit my distances are in line with my old irons but when I catch it right I have been flying my intended landing area by anywhere from 5 to 10 yards.

You would think it'd be an easy fix. Just club down one, right? I'm just finding it a bit difficult to trust the new distances though. Weird, right?

You'll get it dialed in, Colt.

If it's the Dynalight XP's that came stock in the MX300's the CFS will launch lower and spin less in matching iron flexes.

My guess was he was talking Dynalight since he had Mizzys.

You'll get it dialed in, Colt.

I'm pretty sure I know what to do. I just gotta trust it.

Just FYI @pingtour is awesome about reading and responding to their tweets.

Tapatalk

Hit these last night and was just awful. Had not eaten or had anything to drink for hours so pretty sure I was just drained. Really just hitting balls and trying to see what type of shot was more consistent. When I first started hitting them I was hitting nothing but draws. Now it's a mix of draws/straight/fades which is not good. Last night was a good taste for toe shots as I hit some shots so far off the toe I'm shocked they went anywhere. It was amazing the distance that I was still getting so far off the sweet spot.

Hit these last night and was just awful. Had not eaten or had anything to drink for hours so pretty sure I was just drained. Really just hitting balls and trying to see what type of shot was more consistent. When I first started hitting them I was hitting nothing but draws. Now it's a mix of draws/straight/fades which is not good. Last night was a good taste for toe shots as I hit some shots so far off the toe I'm shocked they went anywhere. It was amazing the distance that I was still getting so far off the sweet spot.

Good to know that even though everything was off, you were still getting something positive from the clubs.

Well I ordered the set 4-L, 9 clubs and with my discount it came to $809. Everything is standard for me, so hopefully they will ship faster with no changes. Now I just have to be patient and wait for them to show up. I will just have to keep enjoying the reviews here until then.

First time poster but been an avid reader of the forums for a while. I've been reading this thread with interest and have to doth my cap to the i20 testers. Such great feedback, which really helps others make choosing clubs all the easier. Jman, have you consider writing for a golf magazine?

As for me, i'm an 8HC playing in rainy (but not this week) Ireland. I've been gaming MP52's with DGS300's for about 3 or 4 years now. Oh, and i'm a lefty. I love Mizuno's. I like how they look and feel. I decided to look at changing my clubs or shafts earlier this week as my swing has changed and improved over the course of the last twelve months with lessons and a bit of dedication on my part (dropped from 15 to 8).

About 5 weeks ago I borrowed a 6-iron MP59 with a KBS Tour stiff shaft in it and headed off to my course. I dropped 5 balls out 175 from the pin, slight breeze into my face, elevated green and hit my mp52 6-iron. I struck it well. The sun was in my face so i couldn't tell quite where it landed. I took the mp59 with the KBS shaft and hit one - boy, it felt smooth, like I didn't have to swing so hard to load the shaft. Still, i couldn't tell where it landed because of the sun, so i hit another. Same feeling, smoooooooth. I decided not to hit the fourth as I didn't want to go searching for golf balls. I headed off up to the green and spotted one ball short left of the elevated green, which had obviously bounced off the bank and rolled down into the bunker. I climbed into the bunker and picked it up. It was my mp52 shot. I raked the bunker and walked up the steep bank onto the green to see my other two balls 5ft from the hole. DAMN!!! Those two shots have just cost me $800+ cos now i'm going to have to buy a new set!!! I did try the 6-iron on some other holes and the shaft and Mizuno head just felt so good.

Why am I on this thread? Well, i wanted to do some thorough research and decide if the MP59's would be the right club for me. I don't need extra distance. I hit my clubs far enough. I don't hit enough greens in regulation so want to improve on that. So I need forgiveness right? That's why I ruled out the MP59. I had read good things about the i20's so I decided i would try them out in my local golf store on the trackman. The feeling off the club face is terrific. A really great feel and a lot of feedback. I tried it with the stock CFS shaft but the numbers and dispersion weren't great. I then stuck in the KBS stiff shaft and WOW!! Lovely tidy soft draw on every shot and such a tight dispersion. I generally hit my 7-iron 160-170yds in normal course conditions. The trackman was giving me yds, including rollout of 195-200!! ok, so no wind, and like playing in 30deg temps but nice to see those figures nonetheless. I wanted to try the c-tapers in them but the store didn't have them to try plus we both felt my ball flight was low enough with the tour stiff. So I did the deed. I purchased 4-PW, blue dot, golf pride ribbed grips and with KBS Tour stiff shaft. I was buzzing!!

A month later and still no bats. They were due to arrive this week but apparently there is a delay due to this 'wear' issue on the clubface. The color and finish on the face has been now changed to stop the paint wearing off so quickly. I'm hoping I get them next week but it seems likely it will be another 2 weeks. I'm going to have to live vicariously through your posts until then. So please, when you play your next game with your i20's, spare me a thought. I'm dyin here!!

It is the DynaLite Gold XP, thanks to those who provided feedback. I am looking at a lower spinning shaft (tend to balloon when playing into wind currently). I am a digger with a high ball flight. Look forward to testing with the CFS stiff or x (like a heavier shaft)

First time poster but been an avid reader of the forums for a while. I've been reading this thread with interest and have to doth my cap to the i20 testers. Such great feedback, which really helps others make choosing clubs all the easier. Jman, have you consider writing for a golf magazine?

Hahaha, you make me blush! But, no way, I'm just a schoolteacher golf hacker LOL.

WELCOME to THP (even thought you're a long time lurker haha) and thanks for the little write up, I quite think its worth the wait and great to hear PING is being pro-active about the finish issues on the face. Please stick around here, its a kick butt little site!

Hahaha, you make me blush! But, no way, I'm just a schoolteacher golf hacker LOL.

WELCOME to THP (even thought you're a long time lurker haha) and thanks for the little write up, I quite think its worth the wait and great to hear PING is being pro-active about the finish issues on the face. Please stick around here, its a kick butt little site!

I certainly will. I have a stag to go to this weekend so no golf for me. So please put a good swing on those i20's for me :)

First time poster but been an avid reader of the forums for a while. I've been reading this thread with interest and have to doth my cap to the i20 testers. Such great feedback, which really helps others make choosing clubs all the easier. Jman, have you consider writing for a golf magazine? As for me, i'm an 8HC playing in rainy (but not this week) Ireland. I've been gaming MP52's with DGS300's for about 3 or 4 years now. Oh, and i'm a lefty. I love Mizuno's. I like how they look and feel. I decided to look at changing my clubs or shafts earlier this week as my swing has changed and improved over the course of the last twelve months with lessons and a bit of dedication on my part (dropped from 15 to 8). About 5 weeks ago I borrowed a 6-iron MP59 with a KBS Tour stiff shaft in it and headed off to my course. I dropped 5 balls out 175 from the pin, slight breeze into my face, elevated green and hit my mp52 6-iron. I struck it well. The sun was in my face so i couldn't tell quite where it landed. I took the mp59 with the KBS shaft and hit one - boy, it felt smooth, like I didn't have to swing so hard to load the shaft. Still, i couldn't tell where it landed because of the sun, so i hit another. Same feeling, smoooooooth. I decided not to hit the fourth as I didn't want to go searching for golf balls. I headed off up to the green and spotted one ball short left of the elevated green, which had obviously bounced off the bank and rolled down into the bunker. I climbed into the bunker and picked it up. It was my mp52 shot. I raked the bunker and walked up the steep bank onto the green to see my other two balls 5ft from the hole. DAMN!!! Those two shots have just cost me $800+ cos now i'm going to have to buy a new set!!! I did try the 6-iron on some other holes and the shaft and Mizuno head just felt so good.Why am I on this thread? Well, i wanted to do some thorough research and decide if the MP59's would be the right club for me. I don't need extra distance. I hit my clubs far enough. I don't hit enough greens in regulation so want to improve on that. So I need forgiveness right? That's why I ruled out the MP59. I had read good things about the i20's so I decided i would try them out in my local golf store on the trackman. The feeling off the club face is terrific. A really great feel and a lot of feedback. I tried it with the stock CFS shaft but the numbers and dispersion weren't great. I then stuck in the KBS stiff shaft and WOW!! Lovely tidy soft draw on every shot and such a tight dispersion. I generally hit my 7-iron 160-170yds in normal course conditions. The trackman was giving me yds, including rollout of 195-200!! ok, so no wind, and like playing in 30deg temps but nice to see those figures nonetheless. I wanted to try the c-tapers in them but the store didn't have them to try plus we both felt my ball flight was low enough with the tour stiff. So I did the deed. I purchased 4-PW, blue dot, golf pride ribbed grips and with KBS Tour stiff shaft. I was buzzing!!A month later and still no bats. They were due to arrive this week but apparently there is a delay due to this 'wear' issue on the clubface. The color and finish on the face has been now changed to stop the paint wearing off so quickly. I'm hoping I get them next week but it seems likely it will be another 2 weeks. I'm going to have to live vicariously through your posts until then. So please, when you play your next game with your i20's, spare me a thought. I'm dyin here!!
Great thoughts here. You aren't the first person I've heard who came from Mizuno irons with no qualms about the feel of the i20's. Let us know when you get them.

I got a set of Idea Pro Black irons a year ago and I absolutely LOVE them. Shortly thereafter I got fitted for a Ping driver and ever since I've been sort of itching to replace my irons with i20's, mostly because I love Ping's club fitting. Any comparisons of the two irons by someone who has played them both? I'm a 1.7 index and I'm finding that the Adams irons are super workable which frustrates me at times.

Thanks.

Great thoughts here. You aren't the first person I've heard who came from Mizuno irons with no qualms about the feel of the i20's. Let us know when you get them.

I certainly will Perkins. I just hope its 2012 :)

I wouldn't mind except my mp52's are being good boy's to me for the past month. I was 3 under through 5 yesterday with a lipped out putt from 7ft. I best not talk about what happened next.....

I came from MP-52 and bought i20's. There is some feel difference but the extra forgiveness outweighs that. Love the i20 sticks

REFERENCE LINKS:

• Unboxing: CLICK HERE
  • Initial thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • First Round: CLICK HERE
  • First Range Session CLICK HERE
  • Second Round: CLICK HERE and HERE

ROUND/RANGE RUNDOWN:

Date: 3/28/12
Played: Range Time - 2 Buckets
Weather: 86* Clear and 10 MPH winds

Range Work:
Did this range session different than last time. Not only did I go to the range with distance markers further from the house (YAY!), coming out of Monday's round I had a few things that I wanted to work on with my swing and a I wanted to put some focus on in the i20's in the 8i and the 4i in particular. Because of that fact, I didn't hit anything but those two through about a bucket and a half and the rest were just some little wedge shots at the 50 yard marker.

If you've read my previous on course write ups then you know I've been hitting the ball pretty well but I've been struggling with letting myself de-cel a bit from the top in what I'm pretty sure is a conscientiousness effort to "swing smooth" which, of course, doesn't work like that. My only swing thought is tempo and I've been ok in distances with the i20's in general (and the J40's and 2.0's before them) but I've always felt like I was leaving distance out there, after I read Thainer's (er...TheIceThainn LOL) comment on the thought of "peanut-butter" on the takeaway and "jelly" on the down it clicked to me mentally. Add that to that fact that like Griff and I have said a couple of times now these want you get after them, they just perform better and better like that. So, what better place to work on that that starting with the 8.

8 Iron:

Started off with about 10 in my 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock drill with focus on down and through aggressively but in tempo and I was literally hitting them as far as I did my 8i in the J40's (about 140-145) and the turf interaction was tremendous as usual (the higher bounce in these just fits the design, it just works). From there I went to full 8i's with the same focus of down and through aggressively but within my tempo count. Results were very, very pleasing. Consistently I was in the 155 range with the 8i, granted I had a small tail-wind, this is still an up in distance from my on course experiences so far. There were absolutely a few shanks and fatties in there as well, but that's why I'm at the range, to work it out. Best part though was even when I was getting a little inside on the face or at the toe I was again seeing that forgiveness everyone in this thread has been talking about..heck yes.

Wonderful flight and feel again and again, super pleased.

4 Iron:
I will openly admit I have become infatuated with this club. Seriously. It was an out on a limb choice for me having never played one, but I've quickly come to embrace it. YES, you can see the cavity from address, but that doesn't bother me, what I do like a lot is the progressive sizing and offset to the 4i form the higher lofted clubs as its not crazy noticeable but it gives me some confidence as I know PING wanted to make them easier to hit...I like that. With the downswing focus I'd worked on for the 8i I wanted to bring that to the 4i as well. After I adjust the ball position and give it a wiggle, I get to business.

I hit about 25 balls with the 4i, and not intentionally, I did it because it became addicting. Outside of about 4 fat shots and one hosel-rocket from hell, again and again it was a sweet little draw at the 200 marker. The best thing is the flight though, I honestly don't struggle to get it up at all, it just goes for me. I'll be honest, its way more consistent for me already than my 4-hybrid had been in recent weeks. Enough so to make me curious about the 3i.

Wedges:
Not a ton to write on here, I just like to end (and generally start) my range time with some little touch wedges. I worked through the UW, SW, and LW here with different ball positions and trying to flight it differently as well. I can safely say I love the grinds I got on these three, the high bounce is not even a glimmer of an issue in my mind as the wedges just lay and react great to however I want to manipulate them. Hell, I even worked some BIG flops with the 57* LW with no issues off the hardpan. I have got to get the Flip-Cam out and about ASAP for you all. It can be done, easily IMO...and the forgiveness built into these is surprising as well.

Ending Thoughts:
I can get as wordy as anyone and can throw all kinds of fancy words at you guys but right now all I can say is these are a LOT of fun to put into play so far. I know its still super early but I really think I can say PING has gotten it right. I think part of me having so much faith in saying that is that I'm not even concerned or thinking about the shafts or any of that since PING WRX allowed me to get what fits, its let me see the i20 heads just work. So far, its very good.

I should be getting out tomorrow (today as I type this lol) for a round. Didn't bring the ole flip cam but soon enough I'll get it out and about with me to get you guys some shots and some turf interaction.

Nice writeup J, awesome stuff. Can you include some thoughts & pics on the wear you're seeing? Even if they are just cell phone pics.

Nice writeup J, awesome stuff. Can you include some thoughts & pics on the wear you're seeing? Even if they are just cell phone pics.

No prob dd, will snap some when I get in tonight after I give em a bath. I've tried to avoid that topic until I've had what I thought was enough time on them, 3 rounds and 2 ranges sessions in the Oklahoma sand and clay should be good for some early thoughts and pic's LOL. I'll get em up with the review tomorrow no problemo.

Back