New LED or Plasma TV

Nate

My Friends Call Me Big Time
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Getting ready to buy a new TV (60 inch) and wanted to see what you TV guru's say about LED vs Plasma? I hear to watch sports, plasma is much better. Then LED is the new technology going into TV's that offers a bright picture and are highly efficient. Sooooo....

LED or Plasma?

Totally depends on your viewing room. If the room is dark then go plasma, they are cheaper and their refresh rate is better for sports and everything else. If the room is light and there are a lot of seats with a ton of diferent viewing angles then go LED.

plasma

you are never going to beat the PQ of a high end plasma with an LED tv

bright pricture doesnt mean it looks better thats "torch" mode and you really only need a brighter set if your tv is in a room with a lot of light.

My LCD is 5 years old and still going strong, should I be purchasing a new one anytime soon it would have to be the LED simply because the room I have my TV in gets a lot of morning sunlight and the reflection would drive me crazy. Good luck with your purchase Nate.

LED all the way. Just make sure you get a good LED as in local dimming. LED > Plasma

I am firmly in the plasma camp. Also get bluray Digital Video Essentials to help you get set up with a good picture. Very few LCD or Plasma are good out of the box. You would be surprised how much better my plasma looks after I got it home and got the settings adjusted. Plasma great for tv sports and video games.

So Plasmas aren't good for bright rooms?

One room with be dark, i.e. without any windows and the other room, living room, will have a bunch of windows in the area.

Actually plasma is terrible for video games. Too many of the little things on the screen get burned in if you play a lot. Picture quality wise yeah its fine but you can still get burn in with plasma and games. Seen it way too much.

One room with be dark, i.e. without any windows and the other room, living room, will have a bunch of windows in the area.
Dark room plasma, light room LED and you are good to go.

The Panasonic Viera plasmas are top-notch and not badly priced either.

Ken

I currently have a Panasonic plasma, its a good tv and I haven't had any issues with it. One thing to consider is if the tv is going to be on a lot the plasma throws a lot of heat and compared to an LED use more more energy. Each has Pros and cons, unless you are a real tech head whatever you buy will make you happy. If you settle on a plasma, get a Panasonic, they make good plasma tvs unless things have changed in the last few years.

I see these all day everyday. LED, IMO, is the only way to go at this time. Plasma is very old technology and LCD is catching up.
With LED being so affordable and using a fraction of the energy it is worth the sticker over plasma. I have three LCDs and LED is next.

LED all the way. Just make sure you get a good LED as in local dimming. LED > Plasma

So what do you mean by local dimming?

I see these all day everyday. LED, IMO, is the only way to go at this time. Plasma is very old technology and LCD is catching up.
With LED being so affordable and using a fraction of the energy it is worth the sticker over plasma. I have three LCDs and LED is next.

LCD is very old technology ... if we are getting techincal LCD has been around decades longer then plasma

All depends on the room. If ambient light from windows is hitting the tv straight on or at a decent angle, go LED, otherwise plasma is a better choice.

I currently have a Panasonic plasma, its a good tv and I haven't had any issues with it. One thing to consider is if the tv is going to be on a lot the plasma throws a lot of heat and compared to an LED use more more energy. Each has Pros and cons, unless you are a real tech head whatever you buy will make you happy. If you settle on a plasma, get a Panasonic, they make good plasma tvs unless things have changed in the last few years.

I too have a Panasonic plasma. However, there is quite a glare during the day. I would go with the LED

Tappin!

Actually plasma is terrible for video games. Too many of the little things on the screen get burned in if you play a lot. Picture quality wise yeah its fine but you can still get burn in with plasma and games. Seen it way too much.

Thats old plasma's from years ago that had the burn in problem the new plasma's are wayyyyyyyy better for video games than LCD's. The new plasma's don't burn as hot anymore either. As for room's with a lot of light they do make them with glare guard on them too. The best thing about lcd's is they are thinner and lighter other than that plasma's are way better.

I play a lot of video games and I have never had a problem. The only way I can possibly see serious irreversible burn in is if you left an image on the screen for days. I try to avoid it but I have had times where I pause a game and go to do something only to get distracted and come back two or three hours later and its fine. There is definitely a bit of a ghost left but it goes away.

LED = no glare at all from anything.

Until Plasma some how improves itself in that department, I will never not buy another LED. More than happy with my TV.

No to mention, see a few post about lag in sports. Once you get both plasma and LED hooked up to HD, it's not noticeable during viewing. Now I'm sure if you get up close and look for it, you could se the lag difference, but it's so tiny, you'll not notice it during basic viewing.

I would go with the TV that hass less glare and best viewing angle. Dealing with my Mitsu 40" tube where we have windows behind us when watching, I can't wait to get something that doesn't reflect the light from the windows. My neighbor who's family is positioned the same got the Panny plasma and you can still see a glare. Its not much but its there. I guess it depends what is tolerable for you. It was good enough for my neighbor but I wouldn't have got a plasma.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

Great thoughts on both! Appreciate the input very very much. I've bought Samsung for my last couple of LCD TV's so will be sticking with Samsung again on my next purchase. Sounds to me by everyone's input I probably couldn't go wrong with either type. I do like how the LED's are more energy friendly and brighter. But the price for a plasma is a good bit less than the LED. Stuff to think about.

If anyone has more thoughts on the technology or things I should consider before buying either one would love to hear it! Thanks!

I went with a pair of LED Sammy's.

Back