Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

Thread: Herbie's One-Putt Wedge - THP Review

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,554 Times in 5,512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedfroop View Post
    Is it USGA approved?
    Yes. You cannot put a putter grip on it though.

Posted via tapatalk.
    CG Black 9
    Black Fairway 17
    X2Hot 4h
    Z 545 5-PW
    RTX 2.0 48/ 52/56/60
    Buzelli STA-1
    Duo

Tour Pro
    Handicap
    17.1 GHIN
    Thanks
    Placed my order for one of these on Saturday and received it today with yesterday being a holiday. Not sure if I am more impressed with Herbie or the US Postal Service for Priority Service. Pitching off the rug in my basement I can easily clear the ottoman and land softly on the recliner with the ball positioned mid way :-) I will get to an indoor practice facility later this week and report back but I am pleased with the service and product is as described. All kidding aside I did hit about 20 balls in my basement and each one did the same thing. I am weak on the short game always wondering how I should hit certain shots. I will spend time getting fully acquainted with what this does with a "pendulum" stroke moving the ball position from back to middle to front. If it does what I think it will do it will be a good addition to my bag. Whether it replaces a long Iron or 5 wood (I carry a 3 and 5 wood but only have real success with them off the tee) is yet to be determined. Total cost including shipping was $129 using the coupon code I provided in an earlier post.

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,125 Times in 12,055 Posts
    Looking forward to following your thoughts on it chas.
    Driver: Big Bertha w/ Custom LZ HandMade
    Fairway Wood: Big Bertha 15*
    Hybrids: X2Hot 3 & 4

Irons:
    D200 w/ Program shafts
    Wedges: 588 RTX 2.0 50, 54 & 58
    Putter: Z3
    Balls: B330-RX

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chasd3 View Post
    Placed my order for one of these on Saturday and received it today with yesterday being a holiday. Not sure if I am more impressed with Herbie or the US Postal Service for Priority Service. Pitching off the rug in my basement I can easily clear the ottoman and land softly on the recliner with the ball positioned mid way :-) I will get to an indoor practice facility later this week and report back but I am pleased with the service and product is as described. All kidding aside I did hit about 20 balls in my basement and each one did the same thing. I am weak on the short game always wondering how I should hit certain shots. I will spend time getting fully acquainted with what this does with a "pendulum" stroke moving the ball position from back to middle to front. If it does what I think it will do it will be a good addition to my bag. Whether it replaces a long Iron or 5 wood (I carry a 3 and 5 wood but only have real success with them off the tee) is yet to be determined. Total cost including shipping was $129 using the coupon code I provided in an earlier post.

Excellent. Looking forward to comparing notes with you, chas.
    CG Black 9
    Black Fairway 17
    X2Hot 4h
    Z 545 5-PW
    RTX 2.0 48/ 52/56/60
    Buzelli STA-1
    Duo

Team Paradise / TMaG Castor Hades's Avatar
    Handicap
    6.3 EGA
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 893 Posts
    Truly an odd looking thing, but as many other things it could work. JB asked about making different shots, and I'm also interested in that, so looking forward to more notes and experiences with this.

I suppose these more, well...special clubs, are aimed at beginners and people who for one reason or another have difficulties making different shots, so I bet for people with a less broad selection of shots, this would be a perfect addition in their bag.
    What is in my H2NO Staff Stand bag...
    Driver: Titleist 913 D2 9.5 at 10.25 A2 / GD Tour AD-DI 7 Stiff
    Spoon: TaylorMade SLDR 15 /
    GD Tour AD-DI 7 Stiff
    Hybo: TaylorMade SLDR 19 / Fujikura Speeder 82 Stiff
    Irons: Cobra AMP Cell Pro 4 - PW / KBS Tour Stiff
    Wedges: Cobra Trusty Rusty 51 - 55 - 59 / DG Spinner
    Putter: SeeMore m2w 35"
    Ball: TaylorMade Tour Preferred

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Castor Hades View Post
    Truly an odd looking thing, but as many other things it could work. JB asked about making different shots, and I'm also interested in that, so looking forward to more notes and experiences with this.

I suppose these more, well...special clubs, are aimed at beginners and people who for one reason or another have difficulties making different shots, so I bet for people with a less broad selection of shots, this would be a perfect addition in their bag.
    This is sort of what I was going for, but it's not exactly an easy one to put into words. Sort of like certain irons limiting workability - a segment of players wouldn't really care about that.
    CG Black 9
    Black Fairway 17
    X2Hot 4h
    Z 545 5-PW
    RTX 2.0 48/ 52/56/60
    Buzelli STA-1
    Duo

Handicap
    6.3 EGA
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    This is sort of what I was going for, but it's not exactly an easy one to put into words. Sort of like certain irons limiting workability - a segment of players wouldn't really care about that.
    Yeah, I got it...but had to write it also, just as an opinion generally about these kind of clubs.

How much spin does the club put on the ball? Enough to make the ball stop quickly?
    You did mention that not much...but can you make a shot with a lot of spin if you try?
    GD Tour AD-DI 7 Stiff

Tour Pro
    Handicap
    17.1 GHIN
    Thanks
    I don't see single digit handicappers bagging this for a few reasons but the mid-high handicapper market is pretty big. It really depends on where your strengths and weaknesses are but this is not a beginner only club any more than a Niblick or a mashie is in my opinion

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Castor Hades View Post
    Yeah, I got it...but had to write it also, just as an opinion generally about these kind of clubs.

How much spin does the club put on the ball? Enough to make the ball stop quickly?
    You did mention that not much...but can you make a shot with a lot of spin if you try?

Well, the chip shots weren't spinning, but that's just the technique I use. I can make a spinnier chip shot if I want, but not to the extent that some guys seem to be able to do.

Now, with the 50 yard pitches it seemed like my spin numbers were comparable. With the right ball I'd expect that shot to stop pretty quickly.I'll tell you what - let me try to get some numbers with both the One-Putt and my 588's and I'll post them up here in the next day or two.
    CG Black 9
    Black Fairway 17
    X2Hot 4h
    Z 545 5-PW
    RTX 2.0 48/ 52/56/60
    Buzelli STA-1
    Duo

Handicap
    6.3 EGA
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Well, the chip shots weren't spinning, but that's just the technique I use. I can make a spinnier chip shot if I want, but not to the extent that some guys seem to be able to do.

Now, with the 50 yard pitches it seemed like my spin numbers were comparable. With the right ball I'd expect that shot to stop pretty quickly.I'll tell you what - let me try to get some numbers with both the One-Putt and my 588's and I'll post them up here in the next day or two.
    Great! Thanks Hawk!
    GD Tour AD-DI 7 Stiff

Handicap
    Thanks
    Any time. I'm very curious as well.
    CG Black 9
    Black Fairway 17
    X2Hot 4h
    Z 545 5-PW
    RTX 2.0 48/ 52/56/60
    Buzelli STA-1
    Duo

Handicap
    Thanks
    I'm curious to read more about this club as testing continues. It doesn't appear like it would work as well from the very hard and tight lies that my home course has, but I could see it being pretty handy on courses with a little thicker grass.
    I don't think I would use one, but then again, wedge play is probably the part of my game that needs the least amount of help.
    Classic
    RBZ hybrid
    Mashie F3
    G10 4-UW
    56 & 60 Vokey Wedges
    White Steel Putter

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkie_3_fan View Post
    I'm curious to read more about this club as testing continues. It doesn't appear like it would work as well from the very hard and tight lies that my home course has, but I could see it being pretty handy on courses with a little thicker grass.
    I don't think I would use one, but then again, wedge play is probably the part of my game that needs the least amount of help.
    I did wonder about the tight or firm lies, but so far it's been fine from them. The first time I took it outdoors was basically dead grass on frozen dirt in 20 weather lol. Now, the other utilility wedge I'm reviewing did not give me the same results from that type of lie.
    CG Black 9
    Black Fairway 17
    X2Hot 4h
    Z 545 5-PW
    RTX 2.0 48/ 52/56/60
    Buzelli STA-1
    Duo

Fear the Frog!

Handicap
    Shanks
    Thanks
    This is funny looking. Not sure if I'd game it or not. But I like the idea of it.
    Bio Cart Bag Barbados and Castlerock

J40 445 9.5* PX 5.5 Black
    Amp Cell 3/4W & 5/7W Barbados Red Kuro Kage Black
    J40 3H PX 5.5
    Amp Cell Pro 4-PW & 50 GW & 53 GW Kuro Kage Black
    : m6cs Gunmetal
    B330 RXS
    V3 Patriot Slope
    Twitter: @bullfrog41775

Beginner
    Handicap
    Name it!
    Thanks
    I am very lucky to find one of these in the club section of a "used" sporting goods store for $9.99. I don't think they had any idea of what they had. I have used it off and on during my rounds. You do get grief from others, however it is fun to play with. I have never mastered the big flop with hit, but as mentioned earlier it is extremely consistent from 10-50 yards. It is not a club that imparts a great deal of spin with the ball checking up. It is kind of like you tossed it underhanded up on to the green and let it roll out. Once you hit it a few times it is very easy to predict the roll out. For example, for me, the higher softer pitches from about 40-50 yards it rolls about 10-15 feet or so.

One more thing. It kind of makes a wierd tinking sound when you hit it. To me that is an easy trade off for the knowledge that you will not shank this thing. For what I paid for it, I am going to keep it just for grins. As I said, it is fun to play with.