What's the best method to establish your handicap?

Pirate95

Let it snow......
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.6
Just finished up my 3rd year on the course and I started using iGolf to get an idea of what my handicap would be. I went there because of my Bushnell purchase and kept up with it all year. What method do you guys use......what's the benefit of using that way and what's the best way to get to get started? Thanks for your help!

You can join GHIN and get an official handicap there. I get my GHIN membership through my men's club at the course I'm a member at.

Same as Puttin4Bird. You don't even have to golf at the 'club' you are a member of. You just pay the fee and choose a club that offers online score entry.

I dont have a home course so don't have access to GHIN so I used http://www.oobgolf.com/ It does a good job of keeping stats and a handicap. It's free as well.

I use oob because it's free and I don't have any need for an official handicap.

You can join GHIN and get an official handicap there. I get my GHIN membership through my men's club at the course I'm a member at.

Same here. I prefer it since some tournaments require an official handicap and this covers it.

What's the difference between OOB and GHIN? This might be a stupid question, but why would you need an official handicap?

What's the difference between OOB and GHIN? This might be a stupid question, but why would you need an official handicap?

OOB is a free site to keep stats and create a handicap. If you want to be in a tournament or join a league, generally speaking you need an official USGA Handicap (GHIN).

OOB is a free site to keep stats and create a handicap. If you want to be in a tournament or join a league, generally speaking you need an official USGA Handicap (GHIN).

Do most courses require a handicap to play in a league? Because I don't think any of our four courses (under the same ownership) do for any of their leagues.

Great.....thanks for your help!

Do most courses require a handicap to play in a league? Because I don't think any of our four courses (under the same ownership) do for any of their leagues.

Around here they do but as part of the league you get a GHIN handicap. At least the ones I looked into.

There's other options too.

I use myscorecard.com. If you have a local online "club" in your area, you can establish an official handicap. The online club has to have things like bylaws and a handicap committee, but most of the more popular areas of the country already have one available you can join.

Thanks for all your input........I went with OOB....good thing I keep all of my score cards. I just went in and added all my rounds.

Establishing handicap

Establishing handicap

I haven't yet officially established a handicap index but I just signed up for the men's club at my local course and I understand will be getting GHIN/SCGA info in the mail. I haven't been keeping my scorecards (I usually enter my score into Golflogix app).

What procedure should I follow to be prepared to submit scores? Do I need to have a written scorecard for each round, and do these cards need to be signed/attested by who I am playing with? I also play single/solo quite often. Can I submit these round scores, or do I need to make sure I am playing with others who can attest?

Thanks in advance for advice!

I use GHIN at my course.. They have a website you can enter your scores in, or there is a computer set up in the hallway of my course where I can enter my scores.

Never had to attest anything, just need to know the tees I played and my score. Shouldn't be a big deal for you!

I use this too.
I collected all my scorecards since October and I entered them all in December. Since then I have been diligent about entering after each round.

I dont have a home course so don't have access to GHIN so I used http://www.oobgolf.com/ It does a good job of keeping stats and a handicap. It's free as well.

What would be the difference between GHIN and OOB's handicap?
There must be if GHIN is not free.

Check out an app called Diablo Golf for iOS! You put in your scores and it will give you your handicap. It's a real neat app

Check out an app called Diablo Golf for iOS! You put in your scores and it will give you your handicap. It's a real neat app

Golfshot should do the same + gather stats, and the usability is outstanding!

Big oob fan here. Easy to use, track stats and it is free.

What would be the difference between GHIN and OOB's handicap?
There must be if GHIN is not free.

The difference is that oob isn't going to count for events that require a USGA handicap.

I haven't yet officially established a handicap index but I just signed up for the men's club at my local course and I understand will be getting GHIN/SCGA info in the mail. I haven't been keeping my scorecards (I usually enter my score into Golflogix app).

What procedure should I follow to be prepared to submit scores? Do I need to have a written scorecard for each round, and do these cards need to be signed/attested by who I am playing with? I also play single/solo quite often. Can I submit these round scores, or do I need to make sure I am playing with others who can attest?

Thanks in advance for advice!

Basically it is all on the honor system. When you signed up you agreed to enter all scores not previously designated "practice rounds" and to enter them accurately. So take what rounds you have, enter them all in and as you play keep logging your scores into GHIN. Be sure to look into Equitable Stroke Control and understand when it's appropriate.

If you are Canadian you can join the Golf Canada Public Players Club and carry an official handicap factor. This usually includes membership with the provincial golf association and allows you into tournaments, gives you a subscription to Golf Canada magazine, newsletters and gives you a break on pricing for merchandise. Mine for Alberta was $45 for this year. Just go to Golfcanada.ca to join.

Back