Question on Club Fitting

SanDiego_Husker

Reaction score
Handicap
Lefthanded
So never really had my clubs fitted, I was always told that I am pretty much right in the groove for standard shafts. But I have been reading so much on getting your clubs fitted lately that I took the time and the trip of 45 min over to Golf Galaxy. When I got there the guy once again told me that I was pretty standard and it might just be a waste of money to do it. Just wondering what the concenius on this is? I still feel that I should get fitted but dont want to just throw my money away.

I fall into the same category as you. But that only pertains to length, loft and lie.

There is still value in getting the right shafts and grips for your body/swing. I was amazed at the differences in both feel and ballflight between shafts when trying out irons and obviously drivers.

It's your money and the value is up to you.

But I believe that there is no "standard" at any point in golf. You may be "pretty much" standard. But that still leaves some room for a fitting to make you better.

Sounds like they're just trying to be lazy.
I say instead of going to a big name stores like that, I'd go to a local private owned shop with fitting capabilities.
First thing I did when I started, swing speed to figure out the shaft options and the the lie/loft. Made the world of difference.

There are other aspects of fitting to consider beyond shafts - lie angles for irons, for example. And shafts also have different flex profiles, so it goes beyond regular/stiff/x-stiff. Many, many factors to be considered with fitting. Kinda surprised they're trying to steer you away from it...

There are other aspects of fitting to consider beyond shafts - lie angles for irons, for example. And shafts also have different flex profiles, so it goes beyond regular/stiff/x-stiff. Many, many factors to be considered with fitting. Kinda surprised they're trying to steer you away from it...

I was to, thats one of the reasons I wanted to get some more opinions on the matter. It was kinda a wierd exchange.

It's your money and the value is up to you.

But I believe that there is no "standard" at any point in golf. You may be "pretty much" standard. But that still leaves some room for a fitting to make you better.

Thanks for the input, the more I read your guys comments, it just confirms more of what I thought. Thank you.

Is that the one in Richmond? I had considered going there...but maybe not now.

Where are you located in VA? If it's 45 minutes to the GG I can guess that you're not too close to NoVA... I agree with others here. There is more than just loft & lie. I'd look for a smaller shop to get fitted. There's a premium sometimes with smaller shops, but the customer service you'll receive is well worth it.

There is a Golf Tech in Richmond if you are anywhere near there. I've heard they are great.

I have completely changed my opinion of fitting over the years, now I would tell anyone interested in playing well at all to get fitted properly and to have the clubs they have had for years checked for fit also even if they aren't going to be buying new anytime soon. As your game improves it is even more important to have the right fit.

I am in a little town on the Eastern Shore of VA called Cape Charles, VA. Its about 45 min North of VA Beach. But Also a $17 Toll bridge. That anybody that has driven across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel has found out.

I am in a little town on the Eastern Shore of VA called Cape Charles, VA. Its about 45 min North of VA Beach. But Also a $17 Toll bridge. That anybody that has driven across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel has found out.

Gotcha. Someone more local may be able to better assist on recommendations. All of mine would be around my area.

be sure to call ahead and let them know you're a lefty

even a great fitting shop may not have the best lefty fitting equipment, the fitting stuff is just like the stock in most stores, 90% of it is RH

standard stuff is the way it is for a reason, it's going to be pretty close for an average person... if every golfer got fitted, most of them would end up in the standard configuration anyway.

be sure to call ahead and let them know you're a lefty

even a great fitting shop may not have the best lefty fitting equipment, the fitting stuff is just like the stock in most stores, 90% of it is RH

standard stuff is the way it is for a reason, it's going to be pretty close for an average person... if every golfer got fitted, most of them would end up in the standard configuration anyway.

Thanks for the advice about letting them know that I am a lefty I didnt even think about that.

So never really had my clubs fitted, I was always told that I am pretty much right in the groove for standard shafts. But I have been reading so much on getting your clubs fitted lately that I took the time and the trip of 45 min over to Golf Galaxy. When I got there the guy once again told me that I was pretty standard and it might just be a waste of money to do it. Just wondering what the concenius on this is? I still feel that I should get fitted but dont want to just throw my money away.

I'm not a fan of box store fittings. Go with GolfTec, custom golf shop or a PGA Professional.

Just my 2 cents worth.
I recently did a Callaway fitting, they went through everything.
Thought I wanted to keep using graphite shafts as I have been for a lot of years.
After the loft and lie were worked out using the graphite they had me hit KBS steel (reg) and what a difference, they were great. One step further and they put me in a True Temper GS-85 and again what an improvement.
So much improvement that I thought about it for 2 weeks and then bought them, waiting for them now.
Think of a fitting like an eye exam and new glasses. They keep trying lenses until you can see well and then keep going until you can't, that way you get the correct lenses. A club fitting is the same thing.
Good luck.

Back