pkellz25

Reaction score
Handicap
I am pretty good off the tee as well as around the green. My main trouble is hitting that approach shot from over 100 yds. Its probably because I'm not really choosing the right club but I was wondering about tips anyone has on how to practice attacking the green from 100-150 yds away.

Figure out your distances at the range. Then pick the club accordingly. I practice by hitting at each target on the range as if it were the actual hole. Also, focus on hitting the center of the green, rather than attacking the pin. A 2 putt is better than having to 1 chip 1 putt in my opinion. Example, There's a 120 and 160 pin on my local range. Thats a pitching wedge and a 7 iron for me. So I hit to each of those targets. Also, if you are between clubs, I usually take the higher club unless there is trouble on the back. It gives you a better chance especially if you mis hit. Never up never in!

This is the Ask the Pro section. Please keep comments clear until the GolfTEC crew comes in and answers. THanks.

oh crap. haha, I didn't even see that. My fault, never happened to me before. Sorry

pkellz25,

Thank you very much for the question and I apologize for the delay! The best answer came from "theslflash689" in that you must practice those shots to become good at them. First know your distances with the club necessary in that yardage range and then practice away. The great news is you have identified your weakness and once you have practiced the distance control, you will have a better chance. I really like what "theslflash689" said in hitting the middle of the greens. There are only about a handful of flags that I ever attack on the golf course. The others I simply play to the middle and take the chance of making the putt as I am better with the putter than the wedge. Take his advice and run with but put in the time or you will be back here looking for more.

Robert Gamble, PGA
City Manager/Director of Instruction
GolfTEC Glenwood/Cary

Back