Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I have swung it several times with the stock shaft and i like it, but i want to see if there is a betterr fit for me before I buy it.

Hi, I have been following this thread with interest. Looking to pick up one of these but not a lot of places to test the different head/shaft combos here in New Zealand. Any advice would be most welcome, as there seem to be many knowledgeable folks on this site. I have been on Trackman and my swing speed is between 105-107mph. I have a reasonably quick transition. Normal shot shape is straight or a baby fade. I have hit the Classic 290 with C. Kua 43 stiff 9 degrees which launched around 10 degrees (too low, would like to get it around 12-14 degrees). Spin was good, around 2700rpm. I would like some advice which would be the better fit with the Cleveland Classics head (I would prefer the 10.5 degree head). I am leaning toward the C. Kua 59 stiff as it's slightly firmer in the tip and I prefer a shaft in that weight range, but any advice would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have been following this thread with interest. Looking to pick up one of these but not a lot of places to test the different head/shaft combos here in New Zealand. Any advice would be most welcome, as there seem to be many knowledgeable folks on this site. I have been on Trackman and my swing speed is between 105-107mph. I have a reasonably quick transition. Normal shot shape is straight or a baby fade. I have hit the Classic 290 with C. Kua 43 stiff 9 degrees which launched around 10 degrees (too low, would like to get it around 12-14 degrees). Spin was good, around 2700rpm. I would like some advice which would be the better fit with the Cleveland Classics head (I would prefer the 10.5 degree head). I am leaning toward the C. Kua 59 stiff as it's slightly firmer in the tip and I prefer a shaft in that weight range, but any advice would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

I think by going with the 10.5* head you will do yourself a good favor in getting that launch angle up. I haven't had a 10.5* driver head.......ever, but ordered my Classic with the 10.5* head. I also think that if the loft itself doesn't get you where you need to go, then you should look at maybe the Kusala Silver or Kusala White Series shafts from Miyazaki. Both of those promote a higher launch.

I hit this puppy yesterday and it is an impressive driver. It is absolutely beautiful in full sunlight - a deep burgandy color that simply does not show up inside in a store. I love my CG Black, but I believe with the right shaft I could just as easily game this driver as well.

I am waiting on the experience of someone with the 290 12* matched with a stiff shaft.... I am betting that would be as forgiving as the CG Black almost as long and a lot of fun to hit.

I have my local store ordering a 9.5 regular 290 in for me. If I like it it will be in my bag by next weekend (only hit the 10.5) tell me I'm not crazy, I was so hell bent on getting the r11s.

I said a tap tap tappity tap

I am waiting on the experience of someone with the 290 12* matched with a stiff shaft.... I am betting that would be as forgiving as the CG Black almost as long and a lot of fun to hit.

I think JB will be gaming a 12* 290 with a Stiff Miyazaki Blue shaft (not the stock C Kua) come the Morgan Cup in July. When the Cleveland Staffers' drivers come in, I'm sure he'll be giving some great feedback here.

I have my local store ordering a 9.5 regular 290 in for me. If I like it it will be in my bag by next weekend (only hit the 10.5) tell me I'm not crazy, I was so hell bent on getting the r11s.

I said a tap tap tappity tap

You're not crazy, you'll have a great driver in your hands. :act-up:

I think the 10.5 is a great idea. With this driver having a deeper face, most people will benefit from a higher loft. I have spent time with the 9* and the 10.5* both the 290 model with the stock stiff shaft and I was very impressed. I am hoping to get out and get some numbers here soon, but just from ball flight I would say that I would go with the 10.5* if I was buying it right now. I would say with your spin numbers that shaft sounds pretty good. You will get a little more spin from the 10.5* head so the stiffer tip on the 59g shaft might be just right. That being said optimal spin and launch numbers also have a lot to do with your attack angle as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

my tour rep informed me today that they are no longer making the Kusala Silver...
so please take notice to the small change in specs.

order up!

Cleveland Classic 310
10.5*
45.5"
Kusala Blue 61g

sweet sugar!

I'd love to see these start showing up this week.

my tour rep informed me today that they are no longer making the Kusala Silver...
so please take notice to the small change in specs.

really? that's interesting news. Either way I still like your combo

really? that's interesting news. Either way I still like your combo

thought so too.
same here...it was between those two anyway. pretty sure i'll still be good to go.

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. I suspect the 10.5 would be a much better fit as you say. One other question, would getting the shaft shortened to 45 or 44.75 inches have much effect on the shaft characteristics or indeed the swing weight? I would be keen to keep the SW at D4. Cheers.

This is the set up that I am looking at, i will be talking with my coach at GolfTec about it soon.

I tested out the 290 at one of the big retailers recently and they only had limited options, so I'm not sure what loft/shaft combo would work best. I'm a big dummy, and can't specifically recall my spin numbers, but according to the monitors, my SS is 114-119, with most swings being in the 117-119 range. The 9 degree with the 43x felt a little weak and they didn't have any of the heavier shafts to try. When I was there, the salesman suggested I try the Adams Fast 12. The 8.5 degree with the Fubuki X flex and Black Tie X flex brought my spin numbers down to around 2900-3100, if I am remembering correctly. The main reason I didn't go with the Adams, is that I liked the feel at impact of the 290 club face over the Adams. Would a 59x work or would I need to upgrade to the Kusala series shafts? Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Jeff, JB says you can flat out rip it, and I think he could probably make some good shaft suggestions for you. Immediately, I'm think Kusala Black for you bro.

Jeff would absolutely go nuts with the Classic in Kusala Black with X flex or the C. Kua in X flex if the ball flight was a little low with the Black. Guy has a great swing and generates a ton of power through impact.

Jeff would absolutely go nuts with the Classic in Kusala Black with X flex or the C. Kua in X flex if the ball flight was a little low with the Black. Guy has a great swing and generates a ton of power through impact.

Thanks for the suggestions TC and JB. I can't remember all the different shafts you had at the Myrtle Beach demo--it was kind of overwhelming. I'm kind of leaning towards the C. Kua 59, if for no other reason than to avoid the upcharge for the Black; although, the Black would be sweet.

Thanks for the suggestions TC and JB. I can't remember all the different shafts you had at the Myrtle Beach demo--it was kind of overwhelming. I'm kind of leaning towards the C. Kua 59, if for no other reason than to avoid the upcharge for the Black; although, the Black would be sweet.

Well, I ordered my driver with the 10.5* head and the 61S Black, so I can let you know what I think when I get it in. I'm very fond of that shaft and your swing speed is significantly quicker than mine. I used to play the 72 version Black but wanted to throttle down on the weight so I went with the 61 Series.

Nothing wrong with that. With your swing, go X and you should be all set. You were mashing the ball with it.

Well, I ordered my driver with the 10.5* head and the 61S Black, so I can let you know what I think when I get it in. I'm very fond of that shaft and your swing speed is significantly quicker than mine. I used to play the 72 version Black but wanted to throttle down on the weight so I went with the 61 Series.

I definitely would like to know how you hit and what your thoughts are on it. I'm going to see if my local shop has the 59x and if I can hit it on their monitor. I order my goodies through them, so they are fairly familiar with my swing. I know they won't have the Black, but it will be good to see how it 59x, at least.

Nothing wrong with that. With your swing, go X and you should be all set. You were mashing the ball with it.

Haha, I hope so. I just need to find the right driver, and my bag will be set. For now...

Well, I do believe I'll be getting my Classic on this weekend :) This rules in a big old way.

Just informed that a box was delivered to the house. Erica said it was Fed EX and she had to sign for it fyi.

Well, I do believe I'll be getting my Classic on this weekend :) This rules in a big old way.

Just informed that a box was delivered to the house. Erica said it was Fed EX and she had to sign for it fyi.

Oh snap! Cleveland staffers better keep their eyes open!

Soooo, my mom came into town to visit. Hoping she does't take it personal if I stop by the house, grab the driver, and take off.

I just love hearing this Hawk!!!

Back