Gullane Course No3

barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
Today I decided on another trip for a round of golf with my good friend and my dad. The weather has been pretty bad here over the last few days with some snow but we managed to get a round East from where we stay. Two weeks ago we went and played the Glen Club in North Berwick and we were only a stones throw away in Gullane. Gullane Golf Club has 3 courses and they are named simply as Course 1, 2 & 3 with No1 being ranked very high up in Britain's top 100 golf courses by golf monthly. I have been wanting to play no1 for many years now but my friend is not in to paying too much for his rounds so we decided to play No3.
Gullane has a very good reputation and you must know members to even be thought about for a membership which I would do in a minute but at 1 hour 30 min away it's probably a little too far. No3 is the shortest of the courses but for what it loses in length it makes up in being one hell of a challenge but a very enjoyable one. As usual links courses are well looked after from tee boxes, fairways, bunkers and greens and this was no exception just like the Glen Club but it has to be expected as it's only about 20mins away from it. The weather was great with little or no wind and it only started to rain on the 16th an it came bitterly cold but it was about 39 degree so it was pretty much summer weather for Scotland but if you wrap up warm then your ready to rock but as i say there is no bad weather and only a bad choice of clothing.
The course itself was well looked after but there were a good few bunkers which were GUR which is slightly annoying but i suppose it is December and the rest of the course made up for it. As i said it was not the longest course with it being a par 68 and a slope rating of 116 but with the narrow fairways and long rough it was battle throughout the round to make sure you were keeping the ball in play. I never left the driver in the bag for any of the par 4 or 5's but i had played extremely well in my last links outing so confidence was high and this allowed me to drive the ball really well again. The fairways were tight but dry which allowed nice divots and you were not hacking your way round the course. There was no water to worry about but who needs water when there is heather and gorse at every hole which made you wary of playing a stray tee shot or iron shot to the greens. The greens were fast but not lighting quick as you would have got 3 months ago playing the same course but still a challenge to sink your putts or run them close. The course was filled wit plenty of undulating greens with tight pin positions but the biggest challenge was the size of the greens. The greens were very small in size which made your approach shots very tricky but with the course not being that long you had to have your A game with your wedges today. I shot a 77 which I was kinda happy about as i've never played the course and i could have played a little better as i left some shots out there.
I would without doubt recommend Gullane No3 to anyone who was out that way if they wanted a cute little course with a good challenge but to be honest I would go for course No1, after all it is ranked in the top 100 in the UK and Ireland.

http://www.gullanegolfclub.com

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

Absolutely beautiful Barry. Love it.

I want to play there

Great review! I've always wanted to play in Scotland. I played in Southport, which is about as close as I got!

That looks fantastic, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the photos and commentary. Your description of weather made me shudder. We are enjoying unseasonably warm weather here, short sleeves and golf shorts.

Course couldn't be more different than what I'm used to playing. Great review and I'd love the opportunity to play in Scotland some day.

Nice photos and review. Particularly like that drop shot hole. How long was that and was it a par 3?

Nice review Barry, thanks for sharing. It's amazing how similar that looks to a links course here in Nebraska, USA, although we have tall fescue rather than the heather and gorse, lol. Nice job!

Nice photos and review. Particularly like that drop shot hole. How long was that and was it a par 3?

That was 339 yards par 4. There was another drop shot which was a par 3 at 189 yards and I ran by ball by the hole by about 6inches to 5 feet so its been my closest hole in 1.
something about rustic golf courses it just seems right to me, they've not had to manufacture it. Thanks for the comments guys, everyone should come here to play at sometime and look me up when you do.

That's a fantastic looking course . I would love to play in Scotland one day .

Back