why am i addicted to buying new golf kit

I thank my wife for limiting my hobby budget to minimal amouts. I think this had made me focus more on improving my game than blaiming the equipment. Ive done the buy now ask for forgivness later thing a few times but that made for a cold night on the couch. To be honest most of my bag is things ive trading and batered for. There are a few things i need but i will wait for the good deals.

Really, it's no different than any hobby has lots of things to buy. When I fished and hunted, I was always looking at the new gear. It's just fun to think about and buy stuff.

For me right now its all about trying to find the best "DEAL" on the TOUR ODYSSEY DART MALLET $180.00 still not good enough.Most of the FUN is in the hunt!!!!And yes iam 99srxman and it has ben 4 days since my last purchase IAM A GOLF SHOPPAHOLIC... THANK YOU :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I want new stuff but don't need it. I do get jealous when guys are goin on and on about how much the love their new toys though. I just have to grin and bear it till I can buy it from them next year when they upgrade once again.

ive bought 3 putters in the last 2 months. i finally am sticking with the TM Ghost Spider, and ill keep the others in case i start missing putts then i can blame the equipment instead of myself!

golfaddiction.jpg

Reading through this thread made me feel a whole lot better about dumping a free one month old cart bag and splashing down for a stand bag (Ogio Grom).

I plan on playing my clubs until they are pulverized though. Hah. Famous last words.

Dude, I hope you are shopping at ebay. If not, then your dropping a lot of coin. Anyway, I have really been on a tear myself. Outfitted both sons with golf gear from the ground up and treated myself to a club makeover. But, I have a "golf credit card", a card that is only used for our hobby. Knocking on $2400 in just over 3 months. When we are in, we are all in!

I am the same way...although I try to buy used product or demo product before making a decision. The good news is that once you find the right equipment you will hold onto it. I have ZERO desire to replace any of my clubs and probably won't for many years.

Good luck with your equipment whoring....hopefully you find the right equipment for your game!

In the last 3 months i've replaced everything but my putter and hybrid and even got a new bag. But I really like everything i've purchased so hopefully I can keep from splurging again.

Since April I have replaced everything in my bag at least once and sometimes twice.

This is what I have bought

Titleist 735 cm's 3-PW from ebay
Titleist Vokey 52, 56 and 60 from ebay
Odyssey White Hot XG #9 from ebay
Nike SQ Dymo Str8 fit drive from ebay *****
Cleveland Mashie M3 from ebay *****
14 way stand bag from ebay
Nike Tour II Cart Bag *****
Nike VR PRo Combo 4-PW *****
Nike VR Pro 52 and 60 Wedges *****
Taylormade R11 3w *****
TaylorMade Ghost Maranello *****
Trolley *****

The ***** items are the current weapons of choice and I am very happy with them, the driver and M3 are the only ones that may get replaced in the near future

Have to resist the urge to get the R11 driver and Rescue 11 at the moment although I don't think I can hold out for much longer

Have to resist the urge to get the R11 driver and Rescue 11 at the moment although I don't think I can hold out for much longer

Well I held out for the afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk because I am away from my Mac

I can't afford to be like you but i'm bad too lol. Since i started playing again in june ive bought a hybrid, GPS, Golf Bag, and 6 dozen golf balls.

well i have gone and done it again, just ordered my self a r9 supertri, its onsale and i could not resist. I used to have an r9 and was ok with it, but found the head a bit to small, i tried the r11 and again found it a bit unforgiving for me. I have a very slow swing speed and i am lucky if i can hit a driver over 175 yards, with roll on some courses i can get over 200 yards. I went for the r9 as it launches a bit higher which i hope will help me and also hit a senior flex and was decent with that and again i hope that will help me gain a bit of distance.

Since April I have replaced everything in my bag at least once and sometimes twice.

This is what I have bought

Titleist 735 cm's 3-PW from ebay
Titleist Vokey 52, 56 and 60 from ebay
Odyssey White Hot XG #9 from ebay
Nike SQ Dymo Str8 fit drive from ebay *****
Cleveland Mashie M3 from ebay *****
14 way stand bag from ebay
Nike Tour II Cart Bag *****
Nike VR PRo Combo 4-PW *****
Nike VR Pro 52 and 60 Wedges *****
Taylormade R11 3w *****
TaylorMade Ghost Maranello *****
Trolley *****

The ***** items are the current weapons of choice and I am very happy with them, the driver and M3 are the only ones that may get replaced in the near future

Let me know if you want to sell the M3 as I'll take that off your hands

I went through this too until very very recently. In the last year and a half (very end of 2009 through now) I bought Drivers: Cleveland HiBore XLS 10.5, PING G15 9.0, PING K15 9.5. 3 woods: Cleveland HiBore XLS, PING G15, PING I15, PING K15. Hybrids: Cleveland HiBore XLS, PING G15, PING I15. Irons: PING S59 2-PW, PING S56 4-PW. Wedges: Cleveland CG 15 (54 58), Cleveland Niblick (49) PING Tour-S (50, 54, 60). And finally Putters: PING Doc, Odyssey BackStryke 2 Ball. I finally feel like I have the best equipment for my game right now in my bag, but it took a ton of $$ to get there.

Let me know if you want to sell the M3 as I'll take that off your hands

Sorry mate it's already gone, traded in for a Rescue 11

Like they say...Its the Native American not the arrow. It gets quite expensive trying out the next hyped up club promising more distance and accuracy. Then we get on these websites and read reviews of other incosistant golfers who just had a good day with their wonder clubs then see those same clubs in the BST the following week. I think club hoeing really affects the mediocre players, because the better players can hit anything well...and the average player can see good results when they change but only for a short time and then go back to their normal inconsistant swing flaws that no club will help. Then the cycle starts all over.Another thing that happens when we do this is that we never really get used to one particular club. Swingweights and balance points all effect your timing. So its very counterproductive.
SO I have found the key is to stick with what works the best and what you like the best. In order to find the best club you need to get fitted for it. Keep the data from the launch monitor and when you are tempted to try something else, just test it at the launch monitor and let the numbers deside. Part of the fun of golf is trying out different clubs and see how they perform differently....but like everything else we need to keep it in balance and learn to say no sometimes. Ive had to learn to do it myself.
Goodluck. :D

Like they say...Its the Native American not the arrow. It gets quite expensive trying out the next hyped up club promising more distance and accuracy. Then we get on these websites and read reviews of other incosistant golfers who just had a good day with their wonder clubs then see those same clubs in the BST the following week. I think club hoeing really affects the mediocre players, because the better players can hit anything well...and the average player can see good results when they change but only for a short time and then go back to their normal inconsistant swing flaws that no club will help. Then the cycle starts all over.Another thing that happens when we do this is that we never really get used to one particular club. Swingweights and balance points all effect your timing. So its very counterproductive.
SO I have found the key is to stick with what works the best and what you like the best. In order to find the best club you need to get fitted for it. Keep the data from the launch monitor and when you are tempted to try something else, just test it at the launch monitor and let the numbers deside. Part of the fun of golf is trying out different clubs and see how they perform differently....but like everything else we need to keep it in balance and learn to say no sometimes. Ive had to learn to do it myself.
Goodluck. :D

I agree with this. :thumb:
No club, no matter how advanced can fix a lousy swing.
And if you don't fix the swing, then all you're doing is wasting money on golf gear.

I agree with this. :thumb:
No club, no matter how advanced can fix a lousy swing.
And if you don't fix the swing, then all you're doing is wasting money on golf gear.

my swing is not the worst, its just not very fast and i struggle to generate clubhead speed and hence distance of the tee. My drives are 80-90% in the fairway although very rareley over 180 yards and on my own course it hinders me as it has alot of long par 4s which play like par 5s for me. I try to keep a smooth tempo with my swing and it means i am pretty accurate and straight, however if i try to smash the ball it can go anywhere. The rest of my game is not too bad for only been playing for a year and my average score tends to be around 95 with the best being 89. This is from the yellow tees and as soon as i start playing from the medal tees my score goes up to over 100.

You just need a perfect gold club thats why you crazy about buying golf stuff. whne you got the perfect one you would definitly love that.

I too struggle with this addiction, between balls, clubs, clothes, and various other accessories I've spent just over 2 grand this month alone. I'm not all that concerned with breaking this addiction, my wife on the other hand.........

Chas, I get ya! I'm the same way with photography equipment. I keep wanting newer lenses and all that. It's not only golf that does this to us hehe, but I had budgeted myself to change my irons over the winter, and I did. A nice set of Cobra AMP irons with the wedges. Yesterday I ended up going and getting a 3 Hybrid (TM Burner 2.0 Superfast) even though I can't hit a hybrid! I'll learn to do it.

I have about 5 boxes of balls in my trunk, trying out a bunch of different things. but i've spent enough on gear. Now the rest of the cash has to go towards green fees. :)

Back