Who was surprised at what was wrong? Every time I think I have an idea as to what's wrong my pro surprises me and its something else.

LOL not me. I've had enough lessons with this guy that I know what's wrong long before I actually call him. For me, I'm still fighting things that I ingrained into my swing 2 years ago. Sometimes I just need him to make me work and I can get back on track.

I lead my downswing with my hips they are the firsts things I turn I thought that's the way everyone starts it?

Well, according to my instructor, the problem is I start down with my left hip turning to the left. When you do that too quickly, your arms have to follow and that means they start going left too soon. He wants my first move down to be more of a diagonal "bump" towards the target, promoting the inside-out path.

Personally, I'm a big believer in letting the swing happen, so now my challenge is to take these specific thoughts and turn them into a natural part of my swing. Getting too hung up on trying to consciously think about positions will just make things worse.

Well, according to my instructor, the problem is I start down with my left hip turning to the left. When you do that too quickly, your arms have to follow and that means they start going left too soon. He wants my first move down to be more of a diagonal "bump" towards the target, promoting the inside-out path.

Personally, I'm a big believer in letting the swing happen, so now my challenge is to take these specific thoughts and turn them into a natural part of my swing. Getting too hung up on trying to consciously think about positions will just make things worse.

That sounds more like just straightening the left leg than turning your hips???

Bunker play, right now it is sucking badly

I lead my downswing with my hips they are the firsts things I turn I thought that's the way everyone starts it?

As I understand it the first move should be hips. Followed by shoulders, arms and hands. The clearing of the hips makes room for the arms to drop slightly into the 'slot' position.

Last lesson we focused on club path. Really trying to groove that inside to out path. Working pretty good so far. Hit some beastly irons this weekend.

My last lesson was Saturday. We actually worked on several things. The main one is making sure I don't stand up during the swing. I've done that for years and made it work for me, but it's not working anymore. The other thing, which actually goes along with that one a little, is making sure my hands come through first on the downswing. When I used to stand up on the ball, my arms and the club would form a straight line on impact. I'm trying to create some lag and get my hands to come through first.

During my last lesson, we were working on two things. First was hip turn. Second was my early release. I have been using a smash bag to focus on the feeling of turning my hips to trigger my downswing and also to work on the feeling of releasing the my club at the proper time. I usually release very early and have my hands well behind the ball at impact.

It was a while ago, but I worked on a solid base, keeping my knees flexed throughout the iron swing. Then worked on keeping my wrist angle for as long as possible on the downswing. The first has proved a bit easier than the second.

swing plane,grip and stance with iron striking so as to eliminate fade and hit a draw.

Last lesson was at golftec in KC and worked on my take away, keeping the club behind my hands / wrist hinge.

Last lesson we focused on club path. Really trying to groove that inside to out path. Working pretty good so far. Hit some beastly irons this weekend.

I'll vouch for this! You launched some of those I20 shots a long way on quite a few holes

This could be a really good thread to follow. I am going to work on an entire swing overhaul coming up very soon and I spoke to my teacher just this morning about it. He wants me to work on nothing more than the 1st 18inches of the takeaway for a bit. Nothing more, just that.

And what is the focus in this 18 inches ?
What are you looking at? .. club head path? if so where should it be
What are you feeling? shoulders starting the turn, any hip action in the first 18 inches ?

Thanks

This could be a really good thread to follow. I am going to work on an entire swing overhaul coming up very soon and I spoke to my teacher just this morning about it. He wants me to work on nothing more than the 1st 18inches of the takeaway for a bit. Nothing more, just that.

This is exactly what my teacher wanted me to work on at my last lesson. I was taking the club back way too far inside right from the start.
That was in 2009 at the Kapalua Golf Academy when my wife and I celebrated our 5th anniversary by going back to Maui.

Working on getting the inside-out swing going. I tend to start turning my hips too early on the downswing, which causes a bit over-the-top, which leads to outside-in-path and chicken wing.

I thought the hip turn started the down swing .....:bulgy-eyes:

My last lesson, back in late Sept. We worked on tucking my left shoulder under my chin more, turning down instead of out and around my spine. Then we worked on a transition move.

Please explain this to me.

Sounds like he was getting a bigger shoulder turn, and trying not to swing out across the ball. To start the downswing in a proper position and taking a straight line approach to stop quick hooks.

Worked on my driver swing.
Making sure of good shoulder tilt to achieve a good spine tilt and swing from the inside and closing the club face at impact.
At Myrle Beach the driver did much better than my long Irons. I'll bring that up in today's lesson.

My last lesson was September, and I had a reverse pivot, which I knew. What I didn't know was that the cause of it was basically my entire back swing, so the lesson became more complicated than I had hoped. After 3 days of golf, I seemed to be getting it though.

~Rock

Back