USGA Golf Course Design Best Practices

Many courses that have outrageous green fees don't actually follow the USGA best practices.

Pretty interesting read.

Not counting private clubs, there are a few high end courses in my area. I usually play them a handful of times (at most) each year just because of the cost. They pretty much do the exact opposite of what that article says and I suppose the greens fees are a good indicator of that.

My favorite course in the area is the exact opposite. The greens and tee boxes are always in good shape, but the fairways aren't lush and perfect. Hell, I've even seen a little clover there *gasp*. Doesn't matter though. I have a great time there, they treat me well, and it keeps me interested.

The bunker section was interesting. They actually did something like that at my club on one of the par threes. The took the sand out of the greenside pot bunkers and let the grass grow high. They are easily the worst place to be on that hole and obviously much easier to maintain.

I feel like I should change careers and start designing and building courses. I wonder how many designers and builders are avid golfers???

very good read, interesting points made too.

Back