Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood - THP Review

And that is why its been selected for the MC. So guys can hit bombs off the tee. I had a fling with one and it was a good 3W for sure.

You found one in Stiff? Wow, elusive.

I have found many used for a great price, stupid senior flex.

You found one in Stiff? Wow, elusive.

I have found many used for a great price, stupid senior flex.

Yeah I found one on eBay used stiff flex. Only place Ive ever seen one.

All the Black fairway talk had me thinking, but I really do like having a little more confidence off the turf via the Mashie. Not everybody really needs or wants that, but it suits my miss. I was really drooling over the thought of one of these with the Miya white or blue though.

Guess who has a Cleveland Black 3 Wood sitting in his office?

Walked in this morning and bam! Sitting right there was my little birthday present from my sponsor, so thoughtful they are. I'll get some photos and video up soon, but I must say it is without a doubt the most beautiful club I have ever laid eyes on.

Walked in this morning and bam! Sitting right there was my little birthday present from my sponsor, so thoughtful they are. I'll get some photos and video up soon, but I must say it is without a doubt the most beautiful club I have ever laid eyes on.

That is so very cool, happy birthday again buddy.

Awesome! And I agree. It sure is awesome looking. I will be pounding it in about 30 minutes.

Having to work on your birthday, sucks. Having to work on your birthday but walking in to the office to find a sweet 3W from your sponsor, awesome.

1. happy birthday
2. that's awesome
3. hopefully it's my birthday too

Awesome! And I agree. It sure is awesome looking. I will be pounding it in about 30 minutes.

:bulgy-eyes:

Short video showing off the ultra badass Black 3 wood that arrived today. Seriously the Blue shaft is gorgeous, freaking gorgeous.

Looks gorgeous SW. Almost looks like a tiny driver, with that slightly deeper style face.

Every time I hear your voice I think you're going to tell me about those birds again like your great commentary at the first MC. Haha.

Great video and GREAT looking 3 wood dude. Have fun with it, can't wait to check them out in a couple weeks.

Great video SW! I am sure you are going to love this 3W!

Looks gorgeous SW. Almost looks like a tiny driver, with that slightly deeper style face.

From the reviews I've read so far I think it will perform like a tiny driver. I've never swung one outside but I do like what I saw from the time on the sim. I went with the Blue shaft after speaking with a rep from Miyazaki. Initally I was thinking the normal version of the C. Kua 39 or the Kusula Silver but the more we discussed what I want from this club he was solid on the Blue. I want this club to be a mini-driver for me, shorter holes or tight spots if the driver is being a little wild on me, basically not giving up much length but getting more consistent results.

It is begging to be swung but alas I'm stuck here at work. Stupid bills.

From the reviews I've read so far I think it will perform like a tiny driver. I've never swung one outside but I do like what I saw from the time on the sim. I went with the Blue shaft after speaking with a rep from Miyazaki. Initally I was thinking the normal version of the C. Kua 39 or the Kusula Silver but the more we discussed what I want from this club he was solid on the Blue. I want this club to be a mini-driver for me, shorter holes or tight spots if the driver is being a little wild on me, basically not giving up much length but getting more consistent results.

It is begging to be swung but alas I'm stuck here at work. Stupid bills.

Looking forward to your thoughts because after yesterdays round with the driver, in ponder mode for a 3 wood specifically for off the tee.

Nice vid buddy, lol at the "don't take that the wrong way" comment.

I have had mine for 6 weeks (replaced a 17 degree FL) and it is the easiest fairway wood to hit I have ever had. Really sets up short par 4s and second shots on par 5s.

I spent a little time on the range with my Black 3wood/Kusala Black combo. Wow, this club is gorgeous. I like the sound it produces and I like the predictable little cut shot I can hit with it. I still haven't put it through the paces on the golf course though. Kind of sucks that I haven't but to be honest, I sure am liking what I'm seeing out of the Mashie F3.

This along side the Wilson Fybrid RS are at the absolute top of my list for Demo day. I am feeling pretty sure one of them will be in my bag in a few weeks.

I spent a little time on the range with my Black 3wood/Kusala Black combo. Wow, this club is gorgeous. I like the sound it produces and I like the predictable little cut shot I can hit with it. I still haven't put it through the paces on the golf course though. Kind of sucks that I haven't but to be honest, I sure am liking what I'm seeing out of the Mashie F3.

How's the distance compare for you with the Mashie? I know that may be a tough one to call if you've mainly been on the range with it.

Mmhmmm nuff said.

I have had mine for 6 weeks (replaced a 17 degree FL) and it is the easiest fairway wood to hit I have ever had. Really sets up short par 4s and second shots on par 5s.

How would you compare the elevation you get between the FL (17*) vs. the Black (16*) and also the distance ? Thanks.

How's the distance compare for you with the Mashie? I know that may be a tough one to call if you've mainly been on the range with it.

Honestly I think the F3 is longer. It is .5* stronger though :alien:

I see you just said you thought the Mashie FW was longer than the Black for you, but how would you compare the two all around not just distance? Did it surprise you that the Mashie was longer for you as the Black has a longer shaft?

I see you just said you thought the Mashie FW was longer than the Black for you, but how would you compare the two all around not just distance? Did it surprise you that the Mashie was longer for you as the Black has a longer shaft?

I think the Mashie F3 is just easier to hit the center of the clubface with. Don't get me wrong, with my limited time, the Black is good, but I just don't have enough reps with it yet. I believe that the shorter shaft of the Mashie (although my Black 3wood is 43'' not the stock 43.5'') and the head weight makes it far superior for me in terms of pure contact and dispersion. Until I'm comfortably hitting the sweet spot on the Black, it's a tough comparison. I can tell you that without a shadow of doubt that the Mashie is much, much easier to hit off the deck though.

Spent some quality on course time with the Black fairway today. Apparently the course decided their fantastic practice facilities were too good for me as what used to be unlimited range balls is now a bag of 10. Sweet, I can get warmed up with 10 balls...pretty much straight to the first tee.

Disclaimer, I am a driver first type guy. If there is a fairway in front of me I will typically hit driver. Today I tried to hit 3 wood off the tee as much as possible and hit a second ball several times. The recurring theme from today was long and straight. For comparison I was Jake Straight with a driver all day, but the fairway wood was always straight except for one ugly pull cut.
Distance wise this is the longest fairway I've ever hit, bar none. Honestly I loved my old fairway wood and was a little uneasy about kicking it out of the bag, after today it is way in the rearview. Rough average was 220 for the day, the ugly pull cut reducing that average somewhat.

The feel off the face is outstanding, a smooth crack sound. Little in toward the heel consistently today, but the couple times it was flushed were very nice. Extremely pleasant at address, clean top and the black face compliment each other very well.

I selected the Kusala Blue shaft in this fairway, in a word its smooth. Rather nice feeling to have a shaft that you feel working through the swing, gives me a nice feel at impact that the energy is being transferred into the ball.

Limited use, but I liked what I saw and felt today.

Back