Bettinardi 'new to me' putter incoming! Shaft question new or extend?

redefined

Reaction score
Handicap
Merry Christmas to me! Just paid for a Bettinardi SlotCar!! Can't wait to get it, hopefully before Christmas if I'm lucky. I'll take pictures once I have it.

My question is in making the shaft longer, it's a 34.5" and I need to go to 35.5 or 36, forget what I was just fitted for. What shafts are installed in these putters from Bettinardi? Should I just source a new one and cut it to length or should I go ahead and extend this one? I know about iron shafting but have never had to deal with putters.

Thanks in advanced, I'm like a fat kid at a buffet since buying it haha.

Shoutout to Jimmy at BettinardiLTD for all the helpful information and putting up with all my questions over the last few days, thanks man!

I second the shout out to Jimmy. I just ordered a BB37. He answered all my questions and was a class act. Would definitely do business with them again.

Sorry, have no clue about your question. I think I would just put an extender in it.

Putter shafts are pretty easy to extend. Since there won't be much torque or anything on the shaft, you can use a normal shaft extender or even a wooden dowel or something similar. No epoxy needed. Just put the extender in and put the grip on as normal. All you have to do is find out what size shaft is in there and buy the right size and you are good to go.

Congratulations on the new Bettinardi.
That would be cool yo get it in by Christmas.

I've extended them both ways by replacing or adding an extender. Depending on if the shaft is bent any certain way would make a big difference.

Has a welded plumbers neck so the shaft itself is straight.

Putter shafts are pretty easy to extend. Since there won't be much torque or anything on the shaft, you can use a normal shaft extender or even a wooden dowel or something similar. No epoxy needed. Just put the extender in and put the grip on as normal. All you have to do is find out what size shaft is in there and buy the right size and you are good to go.

Thanks! Kinda what I figured but a single shaft (at least in irons) is cheap enough I thought it might somehow be beneficial to just replace it.

I know Bettinardi uses KBS Tour X-Stiff shafts on some of his custom putters.

I know Bettinardi uses KBS Tour X-Stiff shafts on some of his custom putters.

Interesting, I have an extra KBS Stiff shaft sitting around. I forget if it's from a 9i or wedge.

Interesting, I have an extra KBS Stiff shaft sitting around. I forget if it's from a 9i or wedge.
Just make sure it's the right tip size.

I'm thinking about refinishing my mFGP in chocolate and throwing on a KBS black nickel shaft.

If you dont mind cutting down your extra shaft, you can just use the butt end of it as an extension. Last time I had my putter extended the clubmaker just slipped the extra shaft into the butt end of the putter until the steps matched up. Cut the extra shaft just below the step that matches the butt end of the putter and throw on some quick cure epoxy and then cut the butt end of the extenstion to length.

Hopefully that wasnt too confusing to follow lol.

If you dont mind cutting down your extra shaft, you can just use the butt end of it as an extension. Last time I had my putter extended the clubmaker just slipped the extra shaft into the butt end of the putter until the steps matched up. Cut the extra shaft just below the step that matches the butt end of the putter and throw on some quick cure epoxy and then cut the butt end of the extenstion to length.

Hopefully that wasnt too confusing to follow lol.

Yeah, haha. I actually have some extra extensions laying around from a previous experiment. Not sure if they are the right size though, will check when the putter gets here.

Seems like the general thing everyone is saying though is to just go ahead and do an extension.

The beauty of extensions is that if you don't know for sure which size you need you can buy one of every size (which is actually 2 of each size in one piece) and some epoxy and have less than 10 bucks invested. When I extended my wedge shafts I didn't want to cut the grip off until my extensions arrived so I could still play with them, but I couldn't for sure verify if I needed .580 or .600...was 95% sure which one it was but I just went ahead and ordered one (2) of each. Spent a whopping $2.25 extra and will probably eventually end up finding a use for the one I didn't need.

And on a putter you can cut up an old shaft or even stick a dowel rod in it like was mentioned above . Why would you want to go thru the expense, mess and risk of an irreparable mistake to re-shaft it.

Back