Is Titleist getting left behind?

jacob1

Needs more cow bell
Reaction score
Handicap
Titleist as far as my knowledge goes used to be a top club manufacture. Are they being left behind on there clubs? Are they spending to much time with there golf balls? I mean for one THP doesn't do testing for them and they don't support the site as far as I know.( which is bad as far as I'm concerned) so what do you think,are they behind?

Not behind at all. Though they dont support the board, I would still consider them one of the top club manufactures.

Not behind at all. Though they dont support the board, I would still consider them one of the top club manufactures.
This. Not supporting THP doesn't mean they're being "left behind."

I don't know if they are getting left behind. They just have a different approach to things than others do these days. I don't know whether it's right or wrong, good or bad, because they are still a player with players on tour, in addition to a huge number of PGA teaching professionals and amateurs.

I feel its hard to say they are being left behind. Until just recently they had the number one player in world. They make some of the best equipment in the world and there balls are arguably the best ball out there. There image isnt that as hip but there products are second to none.

Titleist as far as my knowledge goes used to be a top club manufacture. Are they being left behind on there clubs? Are they spending to much time with there golf balls? I mean for one THP doesn't do testing for them and they don't support the site as far as I know.( which is bad as far as I'm concerned) so what do you think,are they behind?

Its an interesting question, but the truth is, that would be in the eye of the golfer. Has their marketshare shrunk? Yes. Is that because they are getting left behind? Not sure. They make top notch equipment like all the brands do now.

This. Not supporting THP doesn't mean they're being "left behind."

Not sure I agree with this. While they are not as active as many, we have had some of their gear at each of our THP Outings and were invited to CA by them for their 913 launch.

I don't think they are being left behind at all. I think that it's because of the duration of their product cycle's. I do think they have the best app and thats because it's one of the few that work in Canada.

Not sure I agree with this. While they are not as active as many, we have had some of their gear at each of our THP Outings and were invited to CA by them for their 913 launch.
I wasn't saying they don't at all. I haven't made any events yet, but I know they don't often do give-aways or testing opportunities like other companies. I was just trying to say that there's no correlation between that and a companies current success in the market.

It just seems to me that every year most other company's have something new,"that's the best thing ever" if it is or not. For me anyway I very rarely here a lot of buzz about them other than balls.

I don't think they are being left behind at all. I think that it's because of the duration of their product cycle's. I do think they have the best app and thats because it's one of the few that work in Canada.

Good point on the product cycle. Me personally, I love the way they go about releasing new product. 3 different driver offerings, 4-6 iron offerings, and -4-6 ball offerings from each OEM each and every year, just wears me out.

Good point on the product cycle. Me personally, I love the way they go about releasing new product. 3 different driver offerings, 4-6 iron offerings, and -4-6 ball offerings from each OEM each and every year, just wears me out.
I agree to a point. However I think with new stuff released every year it just keeps more buzz around the company. From a business only stand point that has to be a good thing.

I agree to a point. However I think with new stuff released every year it just keeps more buzz around the company. From a business only stand point that has to be a good thing.

Yeah, I mean I understand it from a business stand point, keeping your name on the tip of everyone's tongue. It's just a lot to stomach sometimes and I subscribe to the theory of "quality over quantity". Not knocking others equipment or business philosophy or saying Titleist is better because they produce less, less often. For me, I just like how Titleist goes about it a little better.

Guess I maybe worded that wrongly. They don't support to the extent or participate in forum testing as much as many other manufactures.

Yeah, I mean I understand it from a business stand point, keeping your name on the tip of everyone's tongue. It's just a lot to stomach sometimes and I subscribe to the theory of "quality over quantity". Not knocking others equipment or business philosophy or saying Titleist is better because they produce less, less often. For me, I just like how Titleist goes about it a little better.
I understand what you mean as well. Just because its new doesn't mean it's better either.

I understand what you mean as well. Just because its new doesn't mean it's better either.

Exactly. My reluctance to step up to the 913 from my 910 is Example A. Next year? Maybe so.

I don't think there is anything wrong with them, but I have never had any of their clubs, and rarely hit their balls.

No, there's nothing wrong with them. They still make too-notch equipment like the rest of the OEMs. If they didn't people wouldn't buy their stuff.

Not at all, the new driver is very good with better length than the past few and their drivers always have had the best feel to me. When I get fitted for another set of irons the AP 2s are at the head of my list right now.

A few things from my view.

1). They haven't spent anytime on their balls. Not the ProV line at least. They are pretty much the same ball as they were when first introduced.

2) they don't advertise like TMag and Callaway do. They let their huge tour staff do that. Along with their strong green grass to do their talking. If the PGA pro at your course plays Titleist and carries it in the pro shop, it will be easier for you to demo on course.

Plus. With all the guys from Titleist winning on tour, it's not like they aren't visible.

I'm not huge Titleist fan. But their offerings are growing on me.

The Titliest 910 D2 driver was the best I ever bagged. I'm still pondering if I should have it back for 2013 :thumb:

Titleist is still one of the premier golf companies, actually in many areas other companies are chasing Titleist.

I don't think it's being left behind; I do think it targets a different market than taylor made or cobra. I've always felt it's a traditionalist brand and that I had to seek out the equipment before realizing how good it is. Much different than the sales guy at Dick's shoving a TM in my hand every time I demo a club.

I play in a weekly men's league and if you look at the bags yourself liable to see every brand on the planet and you'll see lots of what's new and what's currently being marketed. I also help coach a high school team that is ranked in the top three in the state and plays several high caliber invitationals where the teams are filled with young studs and my guess is half them play Titleist clubs and 75% Titleist balls and there are more Scotty Cameron's than all other putters combined. The only reason I think this is the case is because they view it as the best. Doesn't mean their right, it's just the perception down here with junior golfers.

I don't think so. They will always have their diehards. They have a very consistent marketing angle and very consistent visibility on and off tour. They are content to stay there.

Back