Proper gap in wedges advice needed

I think as long as you don't have any more than a 5 or 6 degree gap in between your wedges your gaps should be fine and not too noticeable in difference between yardages. I try to keep mine around 4 degrees and never take a full swing with any of them.

Do whatever you're comfortable with. A 1* bend, with all else being equal, will only make a difference of 3-4 yards, maybe less. Then you get into gapping between your PW and 9i. Realistically, it probably doesn't matter. If you think it'll make you more confident on that approach shot, do it!

Have to agree with this one....I had a 3 wedge setup plus my W and was just too many decisions as I use my 60 for a lot of different situations so went down to a 60 and 54 plus my W.

I have 45? (Standard Titlesist AP1), 52 and 60 Vokeys. Works pretty well for me, although there is a bit of no mans land around 120-125 between PW and 52.

For beginners or high handicappers it is probably better to get really good with one wedge and not have too many options. Too many options just creates indecision which can lead to lack of commitment to the shot and that almost never turns out well.

45* pitching wedge, 55* (56* bent down) and 60* works very well for me

Tappin!

I carry a 52, 47 and 56. I used to carry a 60, but wasn't consistent enough so I usually choke down on the 56 to get the same results.

Basically beating the dead horse here but anything in the 4* to 5* gap seems to be the popular choice. You do see 50* to 56* sometimes, it's really personal preference in the end, but would say the norm is 4-5* gap difference.

I have PW,52,56, & 60.

Going to try and figure out if I really need the 56 or not over the next few rounds. Didn't use it at all yesterday.

Sent from the moon using Tapatalk 2

I have PW,52,56, & 60.

Going to try and figure out if I really need the 56 or not over the next few rounds. Didn't use it at all yesterday.

Sent from the moon using Tapatalk 2

If your 60 has enough bounce to get you out of the sand and rough then you will be fine

It's all personal preference... The number on the wedge has little to do with it. You need to have your distances and your shots covered.
I go from a 45* PW to a 50-54-58.
I know my 50 is good for 100-105 give or take, and that gives me a good gap from the PW distance wise. Make sure you cover your distances, and that you can hit them. I used to carry a 60, but the distance was bad and I had trouble with it in a lot of lies... which rendered it useless. I'm having much better success with the 58, I can hit my shots and rarely miss hit it.

Thank you all for the valuable advice as i read personal choice has allot to do with it but most all say with common sense 4-5 degree gaps is the way to go and exactly what i would like to d. since my R11 iron set has my PW at 45 I will go with 50 Taylormade ATV, 56 Taylormade ATV and then keep my Vokey 60 degree since it will see very little use. This will free up a club from what i presently have PW 45 R11, 48 Vokey 52 Vokey, 56 Vokey, 60 Vokey. Vokeys are new but it will make sense and i have really fallen in love with the NEW Taylormade ATV's so Vokey's for sale

what have you fallen in love with on the ATVs? I looked at them before going Cleveland

Thank you all for the valuable advice as i read personal choice has allot to do with it but most all say with common sense 4-5 degree gaps is the way to go and exactly what i would like to d. since my R11 iron set has my PW at 45 I will go with 50 Taylormade ATV, 56 Taylormade ATV and then keep my Vokey 60 degree since it will see very little use. This will free up a club from what i presently have PW 45 R11, 48 Vokey 52 Vokey, 56 Vokey, 60 Vokey. Vokeys are new but it will make sense and i have really fallen in love with the NEW Taylormade ATV's so Vokey's for sale

That works great! wow you liking the ATV's too, I think they are awesome but I may only get the 60 since i use it for my specialty shots. Haha how much for the,
vokeys?

This thread has been great everyone. A lot of golf brain-storming, I likey.

Here's what I'm going to do for my setup.

PW 45, GW 50, SW 54, LW58

The 60* has always been harder to hit for me on "fuller" swings, so hopefully I will have better luck with the 58*.

Cheers

I am going to go 50,56,60 for my set up. I thought of bending the 56 to 55 but doing the math 1 degree only equalls 2.5 yards. If I was dialed in a playing scratch gold I would worry about that 2.5 yards.

My pw is 45* and my xft's are 50 56 60 and that works fine for me

Last edited:
This is a great discussion. I have been trying to decide lofts for my wedges that I'm going to get through the cleveland custom website. I wanted to see if anyone shared this problem with me (I know the correct answer is to do what works for you, but just wanted some other opinions). I would really like to go to a 3 wedge set up (4 if you count my stock PW). I think a PW (46), 50, 56 (bent to 55) and 60 is what I'm shooting for. My problem is that I currently have a driver, 3W, one hybrid and 3i-PW set. Add the putter and 3 additional wedges and I'm at 15 clubs. The natural club to take out would be the 3i. For my game I commonly use the hybrid in place of my 3i (200-220 yrds), but I am very sentimental about my 3i for some reason. When I get in a pinch in some trees or whenever I need to hit a low stinger I'm money with the 3i. I've gotten out of a lot of trouble with it. I know it sounds kind of stupid, but I am having a hard time kicking the 3i out of the bag. I'm not trying to hijack the thread or anything but does anyone have this problem? I would really like to make room for this wedge combination. Logically, I would use them more frequently than I do my 3i and could potentially improve my scoring. Anyone else have a club that is hard to part ways with even though its the right thing?

I use to carry 3 wedges and a PW. I realized I rarely ever used my 60*. There was nothing that my 60* could do during the rounds that I couldn't do with my 56*. So I have now switched to my PW and a 52* and 56*. I really like the 2 wedge plus PW setup that I have now. It has opened up a need spot in my bag for another long club. I am hoping for santa to bring me a mashie 2H for Chistmas!

I hear THP and Cleveland are giving away 2 sets of 588 RTX wedges today, I bet fixing your gaps properly will be easy by winning, so don't forget to enter

Very interesting thread. I have a 50* GW (with iron set), and 54*, 58*, 62* wedges (CG16s). This year I took a different strategy, and deliberately left myself with 100 yd (GW) to 85 yd+/- (54*) approaches. Almost always used the GW for short to medium pitches (10-60yds) with the intent to just get it on and accept the putts to get in. Scores improved a great deal, and practice (limited time!) became simpler to manage. Got better Quickly, with the simplified decision set.

I can hit the 58 and 62 consistently at set yardages, but found that I can do the same or actually better (statistically) with the GW and 54. I'm thinking to leave the 62 out completely and use the 58 VERY sparingly next year. Just extra weight.

I use to carry 3 wedges and a PW. I realized I rarely ever used my 60*. There was nothing that my 60* could do during the rounds that I couldn't do with my 56*. So I have now switched to my PW and a 52* and 56*. I really like the 2 wedge plus PW setup that I have now. It has opened up a need spot in my bag for another long club. I am hoping for santa to bring me a mashie 2H for Chistmas!

This. I did the same this year and have enjoyed it. I'm now a sand wedge ho. Grab it for almost everything. Only change might make is in the gap wedge. I have a 46 PW then 50 & 56. Not a huge deal, but I have considered going 45 51 57. Just for giggles.

Typos courtesy of fat fingers and iPhone

I have 45*(PW), 50*(GW), 56*(SW) and 60*(LW). The PW and GW match my the rest of the set and the SW and LW match each other.

Next year I think my setup will be 45*(PW), 50*(GW), and then change to 54* and 58*.

Back