Wedges, what's the difference?

Baldcopper

Reaction score
Handicap
Day to day
In my search for some new wedges, I pondered the question of "what is the difference between the products out there"? Is it all just a name thing or do Vokeys perform better/better durability than say a Nike wedge? I figured if there is an answer I would find it here..

I think most major brands are going to have a good quality product out there. Differences that I notice most are how straight the leading edge is, size of the blade, weight, balance, shaft.

Headshape, sole grinds, number of grooves, materials, forged or cast, shafts. There are a lot of differences. I however am not a wedge snob. I think that most perform equally well as any other wedge. But there are people who swear by some, and swear off others.

In my search for some new wedges, I pondered the question of "what is the difference between the products out there"? Is it all just a name thing or do Vokeys perform better/better durability than say a Nike wedge? I figured if there is an answer I would find it here..

To answer the question you asked in there, no, not to me.

what i look at most is width/shape of the sole, groove quality, weight and topline thickness.
i OEM'ed some TaylorMade xFT wedges thinking that they would be good for me and in the end, I couldn't get rid of them quick enough...but that's just me. sometimes it's about looks and feel, but you will never know all the details until you get them on the course to perform how you want them to.

if you haven't yet, take a look at some Testing Reviews here. a few select THPer's were just given the opportunity to test the new TaylorMade ATV wedges. also, there is a lot of rave on THP about the SCOR wedges. you will find great feedback and info from those topics.

also check out the Morgan Cup Staffers, and what they each have to say about their respective wedges from Cleveland, Callaway and Bridgestone. with 24 guys and 24 setups, there has to be someone close to your thought process out there when it comes to wedges.
I will say that I can 110% back the new Cleveland 588 wedges and believe that everyone out there should at least have them on their radar when pondering in the wedge category.

There are so many different options it's crazy, some wedges have special grinds and bounce options and getting the wrong one for your game can be detrimental. I've played Vokeys-loved them-and cleveland wedges and now I'm playing the Taylormade xFT wedges and I absolutely love them.

Another thing that can affect their performance is the shaft and club head style, for example a sand wedged that is a deep cavity back like the Burner sand wedge will have more forgiveness than a forged glad style vokey wedge(IMHO.

Some wedges also have a large sole and a smaller sole to help glide through the sand. Another trendy thing is face treatments, some wedges have micro grooves, milled faces, anything to add more traction to the ball but in my experience they really didn't make a significant difference.

MY favorite wedge at the moment is the taylormade ATV wedge because you don't have to worry about proper bounce, grind, sole width or fitting cause it was was created to be used effectively from almost any condition so it's in my opinion the ultimate wedge!

My thought is that there are only 3 important things to a wedge: shape (for aesthetic purposes), sold grind and bounce - each manufacturer will have a variation of different offerings.

I'm not sold into either the KBS Hi-Rev or DG Spinner shafts, yet...

I will say that the ATV is the best wedge available right now. The grip is genius. The shaft is the one of the best in the business. And the sole really does work from all lies. I highly recommend giving it a try.

There are differences between wedges. For example the ATV has a very straight leading edge and the 588 is a fairly rounded leading edge. The SCORs have a V-Sole whilst the 588s and Vokeys (stock) have a Salizar (I think that's what it is called?) sole. Some have DG Spinner shafts, some have DG S200 or KBS, it's all different.

I will say that the ATV is the best wedge available right now. The grip is genius. The shaft is the one of the best in the business. And the sole really does work from all lies. I highly recommend giving it a try.

For you...For others it may not even be in the top 5. That is what makes the game of equipment so interesting.

I may be in the minority, but the only difference I have ever noticed in wedges is the sole and bounce angles. Otherwise, they all feel the same to me.

There is truth to wedge shafts. Finding your right wedge shaft can make a lot of difference. There are so many good wedge options that if you find something that suits your eye, has the balance and weight you like and you get the right bounce for your swing and course conditions, you are set...not much to consider. Eh :)

Durability now a days is not an issue. The more you play, the quicker you need to replace due to groove wear.

Some wedges are lighter, I have had to put lead tape on cheaper wedges to get the feel I want, the heads are noticeably lighter.

I've never got into the technicalities of wedges. I go to my shop, pick some up, and feel which weight I prefer and which looks better a address.

Thanks for the replies! You folks rock!

Personally, I game milled 8620 Scratch wedges . I have good shot control and the wedges have a very, very nice feel.

Unlike the majority of THP'rs, I am not knowledgeable about sole grinds, bounce and for that matter the pros/cons of various shafts. I like the fact that Scratch has simplified the selection process by designing different bounce amounts into their wedges for the 3 different swing types (digger/driver, driver/slider, sweeper/slider).

This is not to say that they don't have options. Scratch offers both milled 8620 or forged 1018 carbon steel in, to me at least, a mind boggling array of shaft, length, lie, grip, etc options. They also offer 2 stock sole grinds (based on loft) per swing type and 5 custom grinds.

I am a sweeper and I have really benefited from the reduced bounce of their s/s series. I would highly recommend Scratch wedges to anyone that is in the market.

Note:

1. I am not in anyway affiliated with Scratch Golf.
2. Good thing I'm at work and didn't have the time to actually write anything. :D

I sometimes think that technology of modern drivers isn't all that different between manufacturers, they just configure things to produce their product with particular characteristics. We need to hit different drivers to see which set of characteristics line up with our swing and preferences. I suspect the answer may be very similar for wedges too.

what i look at most is width/shape of the sole, groove quality, weight and topline thickness.
i OEM'ed some TaylorMade xFT wedges thinking that they would be good for me and in the end, I couldn't get rid of them quick enough...but that's just me. sometimes it's about looks and feel, but you will never know all the details until you get them on the course to perform how you want them to.

...and I love my xFT's. Its all down to your skill your feel and aesthetics. Read the reviews, try the stuff out and make up your own mind about what you like.

If you buy wedges that you like the look and feel of, practice with them until they become comfortable, they will become you best fiends. They are your scoring clubs. The cosmetic and personal preferences aside, structurally they will all last a long time.

Some wedges are lighter, I have had to put lead tape on cheaper wedges to get the feel I want, the heads are noticeably lighter.

Not just cheap ones...my Cleveland is heavier than my two Vokeys, and I quite like the variety. My girlfriend has two 56s in the bag, distinguishable mostly by the difference in their weight. She uses a lighter Hogan wedge for touch shots around the green and the heavier Cleveland for sand and full shots. I have never seen anyone else carry two like that before, but she also has an incomparable short game so it's hard to argue with what works for her.

To the OP - everyone's comments are all good points but, like all other clubs in the bag, how they feel and perform for you is going to be the main factor. Pull the trigger on something - maybe one wedge instead of 2 or 3 right away - and add gradually. Consider the bounces on each and match them to your swing style. It's easy to get overwhelmed with too much info - I say ease yourself into it and learn as you go. If you're playing regularly, you'll have to replace your wedges more often than other clubs anyway, so don't be scared to commit to something and figure out what you like as you go.

Here's a link that had a few useful things about wear: http://clevelandgolf.com/US_wedges_101.html

And a bunch of useful info about wedges here: http://clevelandgolf.com/wedgemanual/#/1/zoomed

and here: http://www.vokey.com/wedges/pages/wedge-selection-guide.aspx

To me, wedges are a very personal thing...like putters. It needs to look right to you looking down on it (i.e. do you prefer a rounded leading edge? straight? do you prefer a rounded toe or a more square toe? and so on). From there, how does it feel in your hands? (i.e. is it heavy enough? light enough?)

From the standpoint of the club itself, you are looking most likely for the best feel, ease of use (depending on your ballstriking abilities), and most importantly (imo) the versatility of the sole. You will manipulate the wedge more than pretty much any other type of club for the different types of shots you will face throughout your rounds. You are going to want a wedge that will allow you to be prepared for any type of shot you might face.

In the end, it's all up to you. You need to get some time in with some different options and see what works best for you. Pick three wedges that fit the eye and hand tests, then face them up head-to-head. Let the winner present itself to you through testing them out.

I got it in my head a while back to do a wedge shoot out and spend an extended period on the practice green at a place that sold a good variety. All different shapes, sizes and weights, I hit full, half, bump & run and flop shots with all of them before coming straight back to my old Cleveland CG14, lol. No idea what the moral is other than do your own shoot out and see what works for you. I pit my old 56* against all the latest and greatest and they all do well, just not as well.

We are all so different. A buddy of mine has a 56*, not sure the brand, but it's all I can do to lift the stupid thing, weighs a ton. He loves it and shoots lights out with the silly thing. (Has lead or something in the head)

Years ago when I was a real newb to this game, for quite awhile, all I had was my PW and SW that came with my first set of clubs. Then I started playing with a kid that had a +2 handicap and he taught me some things about wedges. Main point was that you need several. I now have my PW that is 47° (part of my new iron set, and is one of my faves), a new Cleveland CG16 52° that I LOVE, an old Cleveland 797 56° SW and an old 588 60° LW (both are 14+ years old but still in good shape). (Yeah, he got me started with Cleveland wedges too). Wedges are a personal thing, have to try out what's available and decide for yourself. I am going to a TM Demo Day tomorrow, probably will hit the ATV's there to see how they are. When I hit them the other day in the store, on the mat, I was not too impressed but want to try them off of turf. Its nearly impossible to really tell a lot about clubs off of mats because you don't get the turf interaction and this is even truer for wedges.

Back