Thread: Low launch / low spin drivers?

Handicap
    Unknown
    Thanks

Low launch / low spin drivers?

As the title states I'm looking for a low launch / low spin driver. I've read about the Classic, J33R, 9064ls, Rapture v2, etc.. heads all being low spinners, but I can't find much info about complete clubs that are low launchers and low spinners. My SS is 90-92 mph, launch angle is 18-21 degrees(high, I'm sure some of it is due to my swing), and spin was pretty high from what I can remember. I'd prefer to buy a complete club if anyone makes one with a head/shaft combo to match my needs, but also open to piecing one together(prefer not to but will). The research that I've done has mainly pulled up old equipment that is hard to find, so mainly looking for clubs introduced within the last couple of years. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,171 Times in 12,062 Posts
    Not sure what you are going from in a driver. Meaning what it is currently being used, but with the swing speed around 90 and the launch near 20, I will tell you that I am not sure you are going to find any driver that will fix it. Lowest spinning I have found to date was the Cleveland Classic with Kusala Black shaft. That and the J40 driver can really bring spin down a great deal, however one has to keep in mind that spin is really only one part of the equation.

I hate to say to anybody that equipment will not fix it, but in this case, I believe you might be stuck at least a little bit. Sure you could drop your loft all the way down and get a shaft with a balance point ideal for keeping it way down, but I think with the swing speed where you are, you would be better served with a small swing adjustment to get it down.
    Driver: Big Bertha w/ Custom LZ HandMade
    Fairway Wood: Big Bertha 15*
    Hybrids: X2Hot 3 & 4

Irons:
    D200 w/ Program shafts
    Wedges: 588 RTX 2.0 50, 54 & 58
    Putter: Z3
    Balls: B330-RX

Handicap
    Unknown
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Not sure what you are going from in a driver. Meaning what it is currently being used, but with the swing speed around 90 and the launch near 20, I will tell you that I am not sure you are going to find any driver that will fix it. Lowest spinning I have found to date was the Cleveland Classic with Kusala Black shaft. That and the J40 driver can really bring spin down a great deal, however one has to keep in mind that spin is really only one part of the equation.

I hate to say to anybody that equipment will not fix it, but in this case, I believe you might be stuck at least a little bit. Sure you could drop your loft all the way down and get a shaft with a balance point ideal for keeping it way down, but I think with the swing speed where you are, you would be better served with a small swing adjustment to get it down.
    I think you're right, the majority of it if not all is most likely in my swing. I just started hitting the range late last year and have yet to even play on a course, my only experience with drivers is what I've tried on the launch monitor. My issue is that I'm ready to buy a driver for the upcoming season, but just unsure what to buy because of those crazy stats. I know with my current swing I'll need something that launches the ball way lower(pretty sure I could hit the sun if I tried ) and spins much less than the OEM AMP and Fast 11 I've tested.

I'm afraid I'll need to correct my high launch on my own, as I just moved to Germany and English speaking instructors/fitters may not be the easiest to find. Thanks for the help JB!