The Extra 20 Yards

I've spent five minutes every day, plus another 5 minutes before heading to the course using this since I put it up again a week ago tomorrow. So that's about 10 times. I think, besides strengthening the muscles you use in the swing, it helps create the muscle memory needed to hit the ball as well.

The fitter from Callaway showed me that I was casting the club early in the downswing instead of releasing it at the ball, so this should make a huge difference. I have been holding the angle until my hands get to my right leg in the exercise. I am excited to see what the results will be in a month or so.

That's pretty cool Smally. If this does work out, can you video this in slow-mo to sort of show the machine again and the position you are looking for?

That's pretty cool Smally. If this does work out, can you video this in slow-mo to sort of show the machine again and the position you are looking for?
I could video it, but it would be up to everyone to get it to slo-mo. Unless you meant to physically do it in slow motion!

Unfortunately, I had anal cranium syndrome when I put it up, and it's real close to the wrong side of the room! Luckily I could set up the camera in the closet. I should have set it up about 6 feet toward the other wall.

Here's a video of how this thing is installed. Not the actual installation, but after. You can see how I had a brain fart and set it up in the wrong place to do good videos (although with the door right there, I could do a down the line video, which I couldn't do if I set it up for a face-on video.

It's not a video of the actual use of the equipment, but that will be coming some day!

I have used this every day since I installed it (4 to 5 minutes) and also, when I can, right before I head to the course for a couple of minutes. With the weights, it should help build up your swinging muscles, but I think this is more about creating the muscle memory of the swing. Doing this with the weights, and making sure you bring your wrists down to your right leg (for right handers) before you release should help promote a good swing and good release. You don't want to do a full release of the handle or you will hear the weights going all the way up and hitting the top! I know this from experience. You definitely don't come over the top doing this, and I notice my drives have been starting out straighter with less left to right movement.

Video of the actual use will be coming later.

I'm going to quote a bunch of posts throughout this thread. We moved this back upstairs on May 5, and I have used it every day since.

Actually, even if I was in a financial position that allowed me that kind of discretionary spending, it wouldn't be for me. But then again, power and swing speed is not my problem by a long shot, technique is.
This device is wonderful for your technique. It does help build the muscles you use for your swing, but the biggest thing in my opinion is the muscle memory it provides.

Good review GG....the price tag is a little steep but if you have room for this it would be a good addition to the home. I could see this being used a lot in the winter months here in the NE to maintain that muscle memory.
+1 on the muscle memory. As I stated above, I think this is the best thing about this product.

I like the concept, and lots of tour players do this exercise already. This should increase lag as well as increase muscle. I honestly doubt Id see a 20 yard gain though.

The simple cable drills on other machines wouldnt increase lag like this one would.
As I mention in the final quote, I was casting the club and I believe this has helped with correcting that. I don't think I am all the way there yet, but I am hitting it further, and I think it's more because it's teaching me to hold my release, more than building my muscles, although I am sure it's doing that as well.

This is something I am going to investigate further. Since both my wife and I golf, we can both use it and might justify the cost a little better. Sounds like it works as it is designed and I don’t know anyone who couldn’t use and extra bit of distance.
I did get this, and it was installed downstairs. We didn't use it much down there and didn't really get any benefit from it until . . .

Just re-installed this in our exercise room today. Forgot how much of a workout this gives you since it has been downstairs and not being used for the past few months. Now that it's upstairs it will be easier to use every day like you're supposed to!

I've spent five minutes every day, plus another 5 minutes before heading to the course using this since I put it up again a week ago tomorrow. So that's about 10 times. I think, besides strengthening the muscles you use in the swing, it helps create the muscle memory needed to hit the ball as well.

The fitter from Callaway showed me that I was casting the club early in the downswing instead of releasing it at the ball, so this should make a huge difference. I have been holding the angle until my hands get to my right leg in the exercise. I am excited to see what the results will be in a month or so.

I really think this is a good product. Hopefully the price will come down, but I truly believe it does as advertised. I don't think I have gained 20 yards (yet) but I am hitting it farther, simply because it is helping me hold my release until later in the swing. I am also hitting it straighter, because the muscle memory that this provides, is not only the lag, but if you do the exercises correctly, you will be bumping your hip towards the target instead of coming over the top.

Pricey, yes, but a very good product. I am still using it at least once a day when I don't golf, and I try to do it once in the morning and right before I go to the course on the days that I do play.

I am excited to see what the results will be in a month or so.
Is it a coincidence that I shot my best score ever (for 9 and 18) exactly one month after I started using it daily? I hope not!

Is it a coincidence that I shot my best score ever (for 9 and 18) exactly one month after I started using it daily? I hope not!

With those results maybe it's worth getting now. That's awesome that your scores are improving too. I hope you score even lower at the MC

Smalls.. Do you think this would help with left arm flexibility at all?

With those results maybe it's worth getting now. That's awesome that your scores are improving too. I hope you score even lower at the MC
Me too! It'll be nice to see what the game is like on July 5.

Smalls.. Do you think this would help with left arm flexibility at all?
Assuming you are right handed like me, I doubt it. The workout starts with your left arm stretched across your right shoulder, not any higher. And since I feel like all my left arm is doing on the downswing is just holding onto the club (basically, along for the ride), I don't think it would do anything for flexibility of the left arm.

Probably not a whole lot for flexibility for the right either, since again, the workout starts from partway through your downswing, not at the top of it.

Where you would see any muscle gain would be your right pec, right bicep, right forearm and right wrist. That's what I can really feel when I an using my right hand only. Anything on the left side would be minimal, in my opinion. You can do it with your left hand only, and I have, but only once in a while. I suppose to really get the most out of this I should do the workout with each hand alone and then both hands. I'll try to do this until July 5 and see what happens.

Good deal. I didn't think so but the muscle memory would be huge. I am going to try something similar to this ok a cable machine just to get a better idea

Smalls, are you supposed to take so many swings right handed and then an equal amount left handed? My trainer at the gym has me using a similar device but insists that I do it equally on both sides. I do three reps of 12 @ 22.5 pounds twice a week.

Smalls, are you supposed to take so many swings right handed and then an equal amount left handed? My trainer at the gym has me using a similar device but insists that I do it equally on both sides. I do three reps of 12 @ 22.5 pounds twice a week.

I hardly ever do the left handed swings. I'll have to go back to the videos on the website to see what they say. I mostly do the two handed swings (usually about 100 to 150 depending on if I do it for 3 minutes or 5 minutes). I'll do right hand only a couple times a week and left hand less than that!

I hardly ever do the left handed swings. I'll have to go back to the videos on the website to see what they say. I mostly do the two handed swings (usually about 100 to 150 depending on if I do it for 3 minutes or 5 minutes). I'll do right hand only a couple times a week and left hand less than that!

Maybe you should just in case you carry a left handed club for those crappy lies where you have to hit left handed haha

Maybe you should just in case you carry a left handed club for those crappy lies where you have to hit left handed haha

lol, building up the muscles does not equal being able to hit the ball from the opposite side. I tried a lefthanded club last month and it was pitiful.

Hahaha. By left handed I mean using my left hand in my normal right hand stance!

The bodies muscles should be exercised equally...otherwise it will be unbalanced ....long term this could cause back and neck problems.....The pros fitness regimes work on both sides of the body equally....
this machine does intrigue me though...

Big oops here I think. After this came up I did some left hand only reps and my left elbow is hurting pretty bad. I had to quit my round early. Back to doing what I have been doing for now.

Haven't used this since 6/14 because I was gun shy about the elbow, but used it today and it felt fine. Looks like I'm back to the regular routine. I did cut the weight by a third though.

Been using this every day since 6/25. Dropped one of the weights (using two instead of three)because of the elbow, and I swear, this is doing it's job. The muscle memory it is giving me is making a HUGE difference. H. U. G. E.

Took a break from this after The Morgan Cup as I took a one month break from golf to heal up completely. Just started back up again last week. I'm looking forward to it helping the game again.

Back