My Flightscope Fitting

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 14
Went through a fitting today using a flightscope, which apparently is a good way to go. It was my first full fitting. The fitter was a good guy and definitely knew his stuff and was helpful. Generally, I want my clubs to be a little more streamlined since I have way too many different swing thoughts with all my clubs and they're just too different from one another (light vs. heavy, weight in toe vs. heel, etc.) I also told him I wanted clubs I could grow into a little; I want forgiveness, but also want something I could use in a few years if and when I get my handicap to single digits....

It's a weird time to get fitted because a lot of the 2013 models don't come out until next month, but if I waited any longer my swing would disappear from lack of playing due to the winter. I also didn't care if I ended up with a 2012 or 2013 model; I just wanted to love what I ended up with.

It was brutal in the beginning, as I was a shank machine. I finally got comfortable and warmed up and learned a lot. Generally, my swing speed is right in the middle of regular and stiff shaft, so we settled on a few stiffer regular flex shafts. Similar to a Golftec session, he let me know that most of my swing looks good, club was on plane and in the slot coming down and all, but I was shutting the club face way too early. It sounded familiar and was able to correct at least that part of my swing. For irons, I ended up with the JPX 825's. I also tried the Rocketbladez, G20's, one of the VRS and TE XCG6. I have Pings now and apparently they're a high spin iron, which explains my complaints about my irons going too high since I hit under them a lot. The 825's got the ball a lot lower where I wanted it. I liked the Nike's a lot, but the fitter had the XCG's in second place. The Rocketbladez went the furthest, but it was the only iron that I missed left and right. At this time point, I think I need to hit a bunch more models before I go with new irons. I liked the 825 Pro's a lot, but need more time with them and possibly sample a few more. I'm 2 degrees flat now as well. I guess that's progress, I was 2 degrees upright a couple years ago.

Hybrids were next. This was a tough one for me, as I've had DWS Bafflers for a long time and felt it would take a miracle club for me to change. I have been playing a Cally Razr HL 5 hybrid lately that I really like. It would have been easy for him to basically suggest getting more of those, but I didn't even hit anything from Cally. Instead, I hit 2 models, the JPX 825 and XCG5. Both did what I wanted, lower ball flight, more consistent and even more distance. It was very close, but the XCG5's are it for me. Almost a club further than the Bafflers, love the ball flight and looks great. It's been a phenomenal run with the Bafflers, but time for a change. Very fitting, as my very first hybrid was a TE Bazooka. I loved that club.

Driver was last. Driver was certainly the club I was most interested in hearing about. My Titleist 909D2 has been a beast for me, but also a complete dud. Very hot and cold. I wondered if the club head was too heavy and I needed something really light instead. I think at this point my fitter had me dialed in. I swung a G20 with an I20 shaft, a JPX 825, and the RBZ. The RBZ was dismissed almost immediately. The fitter muttered something about being meant for swing flaws I didn't have, but I disagree. I could easily come up with a few new swing flaws at the drop of a hat. It was extremely close between the G20 and 825. That was surprising to me, as I've never really felt like I've ever clicked with Ping drivers. But the shaft/combo worked and both drivers were giving me great results. I was drawing the ball as well, which I don't see all that often with my ball flight. When it came down to it, I was getting a little more distance with the 825 and, well, really fell in love with the looks of the 825. The head was a little smaller for a nice classic look and the feel and sound at impact was amazing. Probably the most excited for this club. I will say I was hitting a 10.5 degree, which is what I play now. The fitter wanted my launch angle a little lower, so suggested a 9.5 (which they didn't have in stock). It was surprising to me because I've heard a lower loft head doesn't necessarily translate into a lower launch. The shaft is lower launch, so maybe that in combo with the loft?

So, I essentially was able to meet my goals of streamlining my while getting the ball flight I was looking for, with more consistency. I feel good about it and will likely get the driver and hybrids. And I'll probably come around to the irons after a little more pondering. After all, the irons have the same shaft as the driver, the Orachi Blue, which I really clicked with. I've always admired Mizuno from afar, but never thought their equipment was right for me. I was extremely impressed with the feel and impact of the the 825's across the board.

I will repeat what is said many times on this site; getting fitted is a must. I've spent countless time and money researching and buying clubs sight unseen, but having an expert help get the right clubs in your hands is priceless.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great time and some good selections for you! I've found the hard way to hold off as long as you can and hit as many as you can. Great read!

Nice write up....they are using flightscope at GolfTec now too.

great write up..... i couldn't agree more about being fitted. it makes such a huge difference. i think i would have waited for the new stuff to come out but i agree about how its hard with losing your swing especially with the winter we have already had. Looks like you got some great clubs though.

Sounds like you found exactly what your looking for and had a great fitter doing your fitting!

Thanks, guys! Was definitely a great experience.

Excellent write-up. I'm thinking about going to Club Champion in the Philly area for a fitting. Where did you go?

That's a great write up about your fitting experience. Sounds like Mizuno and Tour Edge make some products that certainly agree with what you are looking for. This kind of thread makes me realize I need to get one of these full fittings done at some point.

Thanks again, guys! It really made a world of difference for me.

Excellent write-up. I'm thinking about going to Club Champion in the Philly area for a fitting. Where did you go?

I went to Golf by Design in KOP because I work nearby, but Club Champion and Izzett were the other two places I was looking at. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, although Izzett is different from the other two because they really focus on shaft load. Good Luck!

went here today, and had an excellent experience. Got retrofitted for my current clubs as i probably won't change clubs until my hcp is <12, and wedges. Jim, the guy there seemed pretty well versed.

Very nice write up, I guess I should do this myself.

An update on this. After spending the weekend (and today's lunch) at various golf stores in the area, my first move will be getting the irons. I've tried nearly every loft and come away liking the club more after every hitting session. I want to get as much practice with these as possible before the season starts, so they're up next.

My take on the new Mizuno JPX irons is that they have an evenly distributed medium weight to them that to me feels very stable. I'm getting a lot of feedback at impact as well, which has been helping with the next shot, etc. I'm due for an upgrade from my Ping G5's and have found a worthy replacement!

Back