Page 4 of 140 FirstFirst 123456789101454104 ... LastLast

Thread: TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

bigger, stronger, faster longball45's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Great pics cookie! look forward to reading the difference you see between the R1 and your AMP
    Driver: Burner 10.5​o
    Wood: Burner 5 wood
    Irons: R11 4-AW
    Wedge: CG 16 56o 60o
    Putter: TM-110 ghost tour
    Balls: Pro V1x

Not currently testing anything but i would love to!

Handicap
    Thanks
    Can't wait to hear adwilingham's initial impressions. When I hit it on Saturday it felt great and numbers looked good, but I can never really pass judgment until I see the ball flight.
    Last edited by rb81; 01-29-2013 at 09:55 PM.
    R11s TP- 9* - RIP Phenom 65 S (9.75*, O)
    R11s TP Fairway - 15.5* - RIP Phenom 80 S
    Rescue 11 21* and 23.5*
    RAC LT2 - 5-PW
    Vokey SM 52*, 56*, and 60*
    Rossa Daytona
    Pro V1x

2014 Morgan Cup -- Wow!! adwillingham's Avatar
    Handicap
    GHIN 13.4
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,193 Times in 1,802 Posts
    TaylorMade R1 Driver – Stiff Aldila Rip Phenom 55g Shaft

Sorry for the delay folks, I've got a ton of thoughts roaming through my head, so I hope there is some semblance of coherency when I hit post here. The R1 arrived at Casa de Willingham on my lunch break today, so I was able to make a quick detour on the way back to work and throw her in the trunk. Knowing that pre-use photos would be well taken care of, I went straight to the range after work to get a few swings in before dark.

Initial Design Thoughts:

My initial thoughts when TaylorMade released photos of the R1 were along the lines of "why did you do that to the crown?" Like most of the other funky designs that various companies have put out in the past few years, once you see them repeatedly on commercials, in magazines, or in person, that initial shock begins to fade. Same has happened with me and the Crown Graphics Technology (as referred to by TaylorMade). In person, I still don’t love it. I did play the R11 driver a couple seasons ago, so I’ve had white drivers before, and honestly, I would prefer my driver not to be white. That is a personal preference, pure and simple.

That being said, just like when I swung the R11 two years ago, once you are out on the range or the course, the conscious thought will move away from almost anything going on with the color or graphics, and I found that true today as well. As War Eagle mentioned, and as hopefully the pictures will indicate, the notch in the graphics do seem to be a bit more toward the heel than directly behind the alignment aid. With TaylorMade’s statement that “studies indicate that frequently when a driver’s face appears square to the golfer’s eye at address, that’s often an illusion and in fact the face is open, leading to an unwanted fade or slice”, maybe that bit of offset is an attempt to promote an in to out path, or maybe my eyes are exactly what TaylorMade is referring to there.

Moving on from the paint job, as everyone probably knows, there is a lot going on on the bottom of the club as well. First, you have the Face Angle Sole Plate, carrying a promise of 7000 settings (ok, it's really 7) and you have weight ports on the heel and the toe. I played around a bit with modifications of these on the range, and I will eventually get that far in this conversation, but for now, I'll offer my opinion that I couldn't care much less about how much is going on with the sole of any club since I can't see it while swinging.

TaylorMade did two things which I consider very intelligent for an adjustable driver where the shaft sleeve is physically rotated to produce different settings. These nice cosmetic things are shaft graphics that are more or less the same as the shaft is rotated, and a grip with limited markings. With past adjustable drivers, including TaylorMade offerings, it really bothered me to be looking down at something different just because I had adjusted the shaft.

I took a quick video of the shaft markings while rotating it to try to show what I mean here.

Another thing from a design perspective that I really like is the headcover. TaylorMade did a great job here, using nice materials, and stitched logos while still producing a cover that is easy to use in both directions.

I'm kind of paranoid about losing all of the above, so I'm going to post this and come back with more use observations in a subsequent post.
    Big Bertha Driver - 9.0 deg, Fujikura Speeder 661 Stiff
    Big Bertha Fairway - 15 deg, Fubuki Zeta Stiff
    X2 Hot Hybrid - 19, 22, and 25 deg, X2 Hot Stiff
    Apex Irons - 6i - AW, Tour V Regular
    MackDaddy 2 Chrome - 54 and 58 deg, Tour V Regular
    White Hot Pro - #2 - 35"

Handicap
    Golf
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,684 Times in 2,500 Posts
    The TaylorMade R1 made a perfectly timed arrival today. Weather here was 65 and Sunny. Once I saw the testing thread had opened and was active, I texted home to see if it arrived. When the reply came back that it had, I promptly packed up my tools and headed home.

Some of the pics for the un-boxing, sorry I didn’t have a video running. But rest assured I was pretty darn excited by what lies ahead.

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking at the box I felt this was a pretty bold statement. But those few words just drove the excitement a bit higher.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Having never bought a driver that came in a box I before I just hoped that the driver was safe and in one piece.

The driver line up for testing purposes.[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Primarily I will be testing the R1 against the Cleveland Classic 310 8.5. The Third driver on the left is a Titleist 907 D1 8.5 that I will be using to get a sense of the shaft differences between the Miyazaki Kusala 61 S, The RIP Phenom 55S, and the Aldilla Proto 80X.

As the War said the head cover is pretty sweet looking, very easy to remove and replace.

My initial thoughts with the graphics are pretty busy, I’m sure that over time I wont even notice it. The arrow seems like a good idea for initial line up assistance, and could prove to be a benefit to some golfers out there. As I use this driver I will report more on what’s working and not as far as graphics. However, I tend to believe that the graphics will soften to my eye, and pretty much be non-existent.

After a few pictures I grabbed a wedge, and to the R1 and the Cleveland to the nearest Driving Range to see what all the hype was about.

As requested here is a better pic of the R1 lined up with the Classic 310[IMG][/IMG]
    WITB
    Big Bertha Alpha
    Xhot 3 deep
    Pro 20
    J40 CB Recoil Proto 125
    J40 51 54 58 DG Spinner
    Z3 CS
    B330

Handicap
    Has Been
    Thanks
    Good thoughts and pics so far, fellas. I've been looking forward to this testing since it was announced, I'm very eager to see what you all think of this. Reps to the first to post a self-pic with the war paint on.

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin51 View Post
    After seeing Cookies photos I flew home today to see if the R1 had arrived. Once I turned the corner to the garage there it set and I could not wait to get this puppy out of the box.

My first thoughts on the graphics was that they are not as distracting as I thought they would be. The compass also looks much better than I thought it would in the pictures. Another thing I was surprised was I expected the shaft to be a little whippy but it was surprisingly stiff which is a good thing. I found the stock Blur in the R11 to be very soft. The stock grip is the TV360 which is good because I will play all TV grips this year. If the storm passes tonight I plan on hitting the range tomorrow after work and hopefully be on a launch monitor in the coming weeks. Here are some pics.

Attachment 7438Attachment 7439Attachment 7440

Also would someone please tell me how to put the pictures in the body of the message.
    Upload the picture to a hosting site (i.e. tinypic or photobucket), copy direct link to photo, place link inside of [img] tags.

Example:

[img]link [/img]

No spaces though.

Razr Fit Xtreme (uDesign Red & White) 9.5° w/ 7M3 Black Tie, open |
    XHot Pro 15° & 19° w/ PX 6.5 | i20's 4-9, PW w/ C Taper X flex | ATV 50° & 56° | Vokey 60° | SS8 | C130 bag | Tour V2 | GolfShot GPS

People call me Beags...

Handicap
    Rum
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,201 Times in 4,520 Posts
    Some great initial posts guys. Love reading this stuff. I'm jumping like crazy at the opportunity to hit the range tomorrow!

SLDR S 14*
    SLDR Mini Driver 14*
    SLDR TP 3h
    SLDR TP 5h
    SLDR Irons 5-AW
    Tour Preferred 54* / 58* w/ ATV Grind

Handicap
    GHIN 13.4
    Thanks
    Part 2:

I have a few more things to say before I get to actual swing results so bear with me a bit longer please.

I like comparisons. When I read reviews, I want photos that compare other things I may be more familiar with, and the Holy Grail is swing thoughts from someone who has hit clubs that I have hit or own compared to what they are testing.

With that in mind, I have two other drivers handy that I wanted to provide a couple comparison pictures of to hopefully give some view to face depth and head shape. In my case, these are the Callaway Razr Fit and the TaylorMade SuperTri.

So first, the faces. Left to right are the TaylorMade R1, the TaylorMade SuperTri, and the Callaway Razr Fit. In my opinion, the R1 is very similar to the Razr Fit, and both are shallower faces than the SuperTri. From a looks perspective, I'm really happy with this as the Razr Fit has been my gamer for 9 months or so, and I've seen a lot of success with it.

From a crown view perspective, one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just isn't the same. Ok, enough with the old Sesame Street reference. Left to right, just to mix them up a bit, the SuperTri, the R1, and the Razr Fit. All three have slightly different shaping, but there are no squares, trapezoids, or parallelograms, so everything here is pretty decent looking.

I'll give a few more comparison thoughts between the Razr Fit and R1 in a bit. Honestly, I can't stand the shaft I have in the SuperTri, so I didn't hit it in my demo today. Before I depart the SuperTri though, I had a TM wrench, so I thought I would offer a few more factoids. First, the wrench does seem to be the same configuration and torque as previous versions. Second, as may be obvious, the old shaft adapter will not fit into the R1, and the new adapter will not fit into the R9 SuperTri (which in turn would also rule out the R11, R11s, and RBZ). Third, the adjustable weights do seem to be compatible between the two models.

One other picture I'll through in for now is the face of the R1. Granted, mine isn't quite as clean as the others. I like the contrast of the dark face compared to the white crown, but that face finish does certainly show you all your ball marks, wherever they may be. Before you laugh at the horrible dispersion, this time of year, I'm just proud I kept it on the clubface.

Ok - now that I've said all I can think of that doesn't relate to actually hitting a ball, I guess I'll quit torturing those of you who want to hear something, anything about performance.

I just hit a small bucket today, off a grass range where I could control tee height as normal. I warmed up with a few pitching wedges before switching to the Razr Fit to get a few longer swings in. After working a few double cross pulls out, I got a few decent swings in with the Razr Fit, then switched to the R1 in the default setting (heavier weight in the toe, 10 deg loft, neutral face angle).

Honestly, the first few swings were pretty big fades. After a few of those, I switched the two weights and put the heavier weight in the heel - which is a matching configuration to how I have my Razr Fit set up - and the ball really straightened out a lot. Ten balls into this driver, I can honesty confirm that the movable weights really do have an effect on lateral accuracy. I was probably seeing a good 20 yard difference between the two settings. If you are someone who struggles with a draw/hook, you'll probably want the heavier weight in the toe, and if you struggle with a fade/slice like I do, you'll probably want that heavier weight in the heel. I can honestly say, I probably won't touch that piece of adjustability again.

So at this point in the proceedings, I adjust the loft up to 10.5 deg, with the face plate at Neutral, which should be as close as I can get to an equivalent setting to the Razr Fit. I went back and forth a few times between the two clubs, and honestly, on a well hit shot, both clubs provided a similar carry distance and trajectory for me. One thing I want to particularly monitor going forward with the R1 is how much shorter mishits travel. I saw some today that were a good 15-20% shorter than average, which seems more severe than the Razr Fit has been, but there may be a rust factor on the golfer involved as well, so not a panic point yet.

The stock shaft in the R1 is an Aldila Rip Phenom 55 gram shaft. Through the various shots I hit today, I would classify this as a mid launching shaft that plays just a touch on the soft end of true to flex. Sound to me is a tough thing to classify unless it is really onerous. The R1 to me is a more pleasing sound than I remember the R11 being, and as I sit here a few hours later, I can't remember a drastic difference in sound between the Razr Fit and the R1. Maybe one of the other testers can talk further on the sound, but people three holes over aren't going to be identifying your driver model based on an ear-piercing ping.

Now, when you have 168 possible settings in your hands for the first time, you want to turn dials and switch things up to see what makes a difference and what doesn't. I switched the loft a few times in both directions, and I changed the face angle sole plate to a couple of the extremes as well. In general, the loft adjustment does change trajectory fairly dramatically, and pretty drastic difference in carry distance. I'm not the most consistent hitter, but I could see a big trajectory difference between the 8 deg, 10 deg, and 12 deg settings. Again, for me 10-10.5 seems to be a sweet spot in carry distance, but this will be something I will keep playing with a bit as testing continues. I do want to comment on the fact that the new shaft sleeve is very well marked, and it is very easy to figure out how to get it in the setting you are looking for.

Ok, the face angle sole plate. I'm not going to draw too many thoughts from today because even though I was on the grass, the ground was really unlevel, so it was very difficult to see any effect on the face angle when the sole plate was in various positions. A couple comments on the design though that I want to monitor going forward. First, I had several shots where I seemed to dig the face angle sole plate into the ground, clogging the screw with dirt. I'm going to show a picture here shortly that shows this better, but there is a bit of a gap on the sole between the face and the face angle sole plate. When I approached the ball on a descending path, I tended to get some earth on that leading edge of the sole plate. Because it projects out a bit (in order to contact the ground, and effect face angle while sitting on the ground), I can say from the R11 time I had, that the sole plate will get some good wear on it, and I can see a touch just after the 30 balls or so today.

One more comment about the sole plate. When I came home and took it apart to clean it up a bit for the photos, I was able to unscrew it completely and remove it. I though it was kind of interesting what the underneath side looked like with all these little knobs that help adjust the position the plate lays depending on the setting you have it on. Just thought it was kind of a neat picture.

Conclusions for today:

After one range session, I can safely say that in my opinion the R1 is a better driver for me that the R11 was. I'm still indifferent about the graphics, and didn't really try to use them much from an alignment perspective today. I think the adjustments on the loft and weight ports are well done and effective at providing one driver that a lot of people could customize into a combination that would work for them. On the balls that I hit well, I really like the feel of this club, and the ball just seems to explode off the face. Carry distance is in line with a club I hit very well last year.

For anyone still awake, thanks for taking the time to read all this, and I hope that it is more coherent than it feels.
    White Hot Pro - #2 - 35"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adwillingham For This Useful Post:

DawgDaddy (11-04-2013),Taylormadefan77 (12-28-2013),tequila4kapp (04-03-2013)

Handicap
    Unofficial
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StanTheCaddy View Post
    Really looking forward to this thread. Great pics Cookie.

Any of the testers have an R11S? I would love a side by side pic of the depth of the face (like what Cookie did) with the R11S and the R1. Thanks guys.
    STC, I can get this for you tomorrow along with the rest of my first impressions.

I like the pics guys. Can't wait to get my initial impressions post up and go give this driver a run!
    Driver: R1
    FW: XHot 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Rescue 11 3H
    Irons: Tour Preferred MC
    Wedges: 588 52* 56*
    Putter: Ghost Spider
    Balls: Penta

Handicap
    Has Been
    Thanks
    adwilly, great initial thoughts my man! Very well done, and I like the picture of that detached plate. That dispersion isn't bad at all, especially considering the time of year.

Have you hit any new offerings from other OEM's this year to compare?

Razr Fit Xtreme (uDesign Red & White) 9.5° w/ 7M3 Black Tie, open |
    XHot Pro 15° & 19° w/ PX 6.5 | i20's 4-9, PW w/ C Taper X flex | ATV 50° & 56° | Vokey 60° | SS8 | C130 bag | Tour V2 | GolfShot GPS

Handicap
    GHIN 13.4
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by InHartWeTrust View Post
    adwilly, great initial thoughts my man! Very well done, and I like the picture of that detached plate. That dispersion isn't bad at all, especially considering the time of year.

Have you hit any new offerings from other OEM's this year to compare?
    I haven't had a chance to hit any other offerings outdoors or on a functioning simulator yet.
    White Hot Pro - #2 - 35"

#ATLClive75
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,418 Times in 2,492 Posts
    Similar to several other testers, I received the R1 today. This is what a ridiculous amount of technology looks like:

Initial Impressions:

Whoa -- this is really happening. I cannot thank THP and TaylorMade enough for the opportunity to participate in this testing.

The R1 finish is a lot more matted than I expected. I was expecting a high gloss finish everywhere, but instead there is a subtle, and very refined finish. The only exception is a small portion of the shaft just below the grip. I could not get a clear picture (the graphics were always fuzzy), but the orange portion of the shaft has a glossy finish, while the grey portion below it is matted. The shaft is also interesting in that the orange, glossy portion is smooth while the grey, matted portion has a texture. I'm not sure if this is purely for aesthetics or if there is a performance benefit from this, but I will investigate further.

The crown graphics are certainly there, and they are noticeable. I suspect I will get used to the crown after hitting a few balls, but right now they stick out a lot. With that said, the matte finish takes a little bit of the bite out of the crown.

The club face also looks pretty deep. I will take some measurements to compare the R1 to my 910, but the R1 looks like it has a deeper face. It is not as deep as the Classic, but it does look like a tall face.

The adjustability of this club is simply incredible. Reading the adjustment instructions makes me want to find a lighted driving range this evening to test the different settings. The possibilities seem endless, and I am in full ponder-mode with this club. I cannot wait to put it in play.

The weather here is supposed to be horrid tomorrow. I plan to use tomorrow to post a little bit about my background and my plan for the testing. With a little luck, I'll be able to take the R1 out on Thursday and report my findings.
    Current Setup:

Big Bertha Alpha (9o), Tour Green
    Big Bertha 3W (15o), Tour Green
    Big Bertha 5W (18o), Tour Green
    X2Hot Pro 20o, Tour Green
    Apex 5-AW, TourV
    MackDaddy2 (54o, 58o), TourV
    Versa #7 WBW
    SR3

I'm Not the "A" Player

Handicap
    "A"Players
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,133 Times in 7,313 Posts
    Behind on this thread already, playing catchup but great initial thoughts fellas
    WITB:

Driver:
    D200 10.5* set to 11.5* thanks to #PersonalDistance
    Woods: Big Bertha V Series 3W 15.5*
    Hybrids:
    588 H3, Black Hybrid 21*
    Irons:
    Z545 5-PW w/ NS Pro 950 Stiff
    Wedges: Rotex 2.0 49*/53*/57* w/ Tour Custom Pearl White shafts
    Putter: SS12
    Ball: Z-Star

And a Proud Captain in the 2015 #THPLegacy

Handicap
    Golf
    Thanks
    Made the maiden voyage with the R1 this afternoon. I was pretty excited on the ride over, to see if that dog would hunt. I was trying to establish a testing routine to keep things straight in my mind. Honestly went in there with a plan, but that went out the window once I warmed up with some wedge shots. I will apologize for my slovenly appearance. But, I'm a carpenter, and a golfer, and sometimes the two collide.

1st Testing
    Driving Range
    Nasty Range Balls by Nike
    Weather was 65 and mostly sunny
    Winds were of the right and blowing in about 5-10 mph

I started with the Classic 310 8.5*, with the Miyazaki Kusala 61s to establish a visual benchmark for testing out the R1. My normal ball flight is mid to high with a soft draw. Distance is irrelevant at this point. I hit 10 balls before moving to the R1

I set the R1 Up exactly like my Classic. 8.5* Face angle Neutral, Weighting to Neutral. My first swing with the R1 the first thing I noticed was the difference in sound compared to the Classic. It was very sharp crisp sound, and somewhat louder than I expected.

Really shocked was how high I was hitting this club. I immediately looked to make sure I had it on the right loft again. The first 10-15 balls were not what I would call “good”. High fades, I usually equate to poor swings. I continued to hit balls just trying to get a feel for the difference in shaft, head and response from the combination of the two. I started to get a sense of the responsiveness of the RIP Phenom, and how different it was to the Kusala. As the test continues I will speak more towards that.

So I wiped the face of the driver off and started hitting balls to finally get an idea where I needed to go with the settings. My first go with this driver has me a bit concerned. Once I felt comfortable with hitting the R1, the trajectory of each shot was crazy high and lacking the equivalent distance as I was seeing with the Classic. Being at a range I would have to estimate at least 20 yards shorter over all. Each shot I hit with the R1 had similar height as my 56 degree wedge.

My next testing will be another range visit either tomorrow or before the weekend. And I hope to get it out on the course over the weekend.

edit: I had a couple of videos, but I'm not able to get them loaded. I will research that and post them at a later date.
    WITB
    Big Bertha Alpha
    Xhot 3 deep
    Pro 20
    J40 CB Recoil Proto 125
    J40 51 54 58 DG Spinner
    Z3 CS
    B330

15. The Following User Says Thank You to T2GRN18 For This Useful Post:

DawgDaddy (11-04-2013)

Handicap
    GHIN 7.2
    Thanks
    Looks like some great stuff so far guys! I'll be catching up on this tomorrow and looking forward to it.
    Driver - R1
    FW - Burner SuperFast 3w 15*
    Hybrids -
    RocketBallz Tour Rescue 4/21.5*
    Irons - MP-53 w/ TOUR 4-PW
    Wedges - ATV 52, 56, 60
    Putter - Original FGP
    Ball - Z-Star

Handicap
    Golf
    Thanks
    Awesome job to my fellow testers! Good kickoff Day for sure. Looking forward to more testing and following you all along as well.
    WITB
    Big Bertha Alpha
    Xhot 3 deep
    Pro 20
    J40 CB Recoil Proto 125
    J40 51 54 58 DG Spinner
    Z3 CS
    B330