Page 65 of 140 FirstFirst ... 15555960616263646566676869707175115 ... LastLast

Thread: TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

#ATLClive75
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,600 Times in 2,576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larryny View Post
    I have a question for R1 users. If you have noticed a distinct distance loss with a heel hit, where was the 10g weight ?
    Thank you.

I have noticed distance loss (significant distance loss) on heel shots. This occurs when the heavy weight is in the heel or the toe. But, for me, I've noticed more strikes on the heel when the heavy weight is in the heel.

Currently, I have the R1 set to 9.5*(upright), neutral weights and face plate at 2* open. This setup really has me striking the ball on the middle of the club face. Realizing that the R1 has an upright loft setting was really a breakthrough moment for me.

For those concerned about heel shots (and the resulting distance loss), I suggest you demo the R1 and see for yourself. My common miss is on the heel, and I was pretty concerned when I saw the ball seemingly drop out of the sky on heel strikes. But, I was able to make adjustments with the R1 to have me striking the ball away from the heel and pretty much dead center.

I know that I have said this before (many times) in the thread, but the adjustability of the R1 is really, really impressive. I have not been the biggest proponent of adjustable clubs, but the R1 has really opened my eyes to the possibilities that these clubs can provide.
    Current Setup:

Big Bertha Alpha (9o), Tour Green
    Big Bertha 3W (15o), Tour Green
    Big Bertha 5W (18o), Tour Green
    X2Hot Pro 20o, Tour Green
    Apex 5-AW, TourV
    MackDaddy2 (54o, 58o), TourV
    Versa #7 WBW
    SR3

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLGolfer View Post
    I have noticed distance loss (significant distance loss) on heel shots. This occurs when the heavy weight is in the heel or the toe. But, for me, I've noticed more strikes on the heel when the heavy weight is in the heel.

Currently, I have the R1 set to 9.5*(upright), neutral weights and face plate at 2* open. This setup really has me striking the ball on the middle of the club face. Realizing that the R1 has an upright loft setting was really a breakthrough moment for me.

For those concerned about heel shots (and the resulting distance loss), I suggest you demo the R1 and see for yourself. My common miss is on the heel, and I was pretty concerned when I saw the ball seemingly drop out of the sky on heel strikes. But, I was able to make adjustments with the R1 to have me striking the ball away from the heel and pretty much dead center.

I know that I have said this before (many times) in the thread, but the adjustability of the R1 is really, really impressive. I have not been the biggest proponent of adjustable clubs, but the R1 has really opened my eyes to the possibilities that these clubs can provide.
    Good to read the 9.5 upright setting works well for you. 2 questions
    I am assuming upright merely refers to some amount of increase in the static lie angle, is that all that setting achieves?
    Is the neutral weight set up you refer to heavy weight (10) in toe and light weight ( not sure if that is 1 or 2) in heel. I think that is the stock set up with no tinkering. Is it true that that supposedly that setting has neither a fade or draw bias, seems like it would have a fade bias.

Driver Taylormade SLDR, 12 Degree
    Or Taylormade R11S, 9 Degree, Miyazaki

Fairways Taylor Made 2007 Burner #3
    Rocketballz Stage 2 #5
    Hybrid Callaway Razr 21
    Irons #5 - PW Taylormade Rocketballz

Wedges Ping G5 50, Vokey Raw 54; Vokey Raw 60 ( bent to 58+), Project X Shafts,
    Putter YES Victoria II

2014 Morgan Cup -- Wow!! adwillingham's Avatar
    Handicap
    GHIN 13.4
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,300 Times in 1,848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uman View Post
    Is the neutral weight set up you refer to heavy weight (10) in toe and light weight ( not sure if that is 1 or 2) in heel. I think that is the stock set up with no tinkering. Is it true that that supposedly that setting has neither a fade or draw bias, seems like it would have a fade bias.
    The 10g in the toe and 1 g in the heel is the Neutral setting. I would assume that the weight distribution in the head itself would be such that the removable weight are able to work the way they do.
    Big Bertha Driver - 9.0 deg, Fujikura Speeder 661 Stiff
    Big Bertha Fairway - 15 deg, Fubuki Zeta Stiff
    X2 Hot Hybrid - 19, 22, and 25 deg, X2 Hot Stiff
    Apex Irons - 6i - AW, Tour V Regular
    MackDaddy 2 Chrome - 54 and 58 deg, Tour V Regular
    White Hot Pro - #2 - 35"

#ATLClive75
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Good to read the 9.5 upright setting works well for you. 2 questions
    I am assuming upright merely refers to some amount of increase in the static lie angle, is that all that setting achieves?

Admittedly, I do not know if the "upright" setting does more than change the lie angle. I will investigate and report back. In hindsight, the move made perfect sense for me, as my irons (which are fitted) are also a little upright.

The "neutral" (stock) setting with the R1 is with the heavy (10g) weight in the toe and "light" (1g) weight in the heel. TaylorMade promotes the heavy weight in the heel as a "draw bias," which suggests that the "neutral" setting is actually a "fade bias." However, I have not really noticed much of a fade (at least not more than my usual, slight fade) with the R1 set to the "neutral" setting. The R1 certainly wants to hit draws (albeit, slight) when the weights are set to the "draw bias" setting.

In summary, though, I have found the R1 to be very straight with very little side movement. It has been the one really consistent thing throughout the testing.
    Current Setup:

Apex 5-AW, TourV
    Versa #7 WBW
    SR3

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thank you to all the R1 users who responded to my question. Since the distance loss on heel hits happened with and without the 10g weight in the heel, I have to question just how "forgiving" this driver really is for us hackers. I might have to look elsewhere for a new driver as $400 is a lot of money for a "sometimes" forgiving head.

Team Paradise / TMaG Castor Hades's Avatar
    Handicap
    6.3 EGA
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,000 Times in 901 Posts
    I hit the R1 the other day, and I have to say that it didn't feel good. I just couldn't get the ball up in the air. It was set at 9.5 with stock shaft. I do have to try it again someday.
    What is in my H2NO Staff Stand bag...
    Driver: Titleist 913 D2 9.5 at 10.25 A2 / GD Tour AD-DI 7 Stiff
    Spoon: TaylorMade SLDR 15 /
    GD Tour AD-DI 7 Stiff
    Hybo: TaylorMade SLDR 19 / Fujikura Speeder 82 Stiff
    Irons: Cobra AMP Cell Pro 4 - PW / KBS Tour Stiff
    Wedges: Cobra Trusty Rusty 51 - 55 - 59 / DG Spinner
    Putter: SeeMore m2w 35"
    Ball: TaylorMade Tour Preferred

Handicap
    Golf
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,135 Times in 2,694 Posts
    Headed out tomorrow with the R1. I'm setting at 8.0, and letting it fly... Full write up to follow
    WITB
    Big Bertha Alpha
    Xhot 3 deep
    Pro 20
    J40 CB Recoil Proto 125
    J40 51 54 58 DG Spinner
    Z3 CS
    B330

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Castor Hades View Post
    I hit the R1 the other day, and I have to say that it didn't feel good. I just couldn't get the ball up in the air. It was set at 9.5 with stock shaft. I do have to try it again someday.
    Funny you should say that. My buddy called me yesterday and can't get satisfactory distance or height out of his R1 but continues to absolutely smoke his R11S LONG and HIGH with a nice amount of accuracy. He has been fooling around with the settings but has really developed negative feelings about the R1 and has decided to sell it because he has no confidence in bagging it.

Rocketballz Stage 2 #5
    Hybrid Callaway Razr 21

Putter YES Victoria II

Handicap
    Thanks
    I've been able to get this out a couple of times this week. After reading what others were saying about losing the forgiveness when the 10g weight is in the heel, I thought I would switch it back to the original setting with the 10g in the toe. I knew this was not going to give me the ball flight I want, but maybe I'll be able to at least know where I'm going to hit the club.

After making the switch, I'm pretty sure this was the problem all along. I am losing distance on my drives and I'm hitting a slight fade (which I hate) constantly, but it's also down the middle almost every time. I'm not sure why just putting the 10g weight in the heel would make that big of a difference, but I guess it does. I'm going to work on a few more settings today to see if I can't get it to go a little longer, but at least I've finally found out how to be consistent with it.
    Driver: Razr Fit 8.5
    Fairway Woods: X-Hot 3W and 5W
    Irons: X-Forged 4-PW
    52* wedge: Jaws CC Slate
    56* wedge: Jaws CC Slate
    60* wedge: Jaws CC Slate
    Putter: FGP
    Ball: Tour B330
    Bag: Razr Staff Bag

Handicap
    Golf
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,135 Times in 2,694 Posts
    I was able to get out with the R1 today. First off I will say that it was very chilly. 36 at the start of the round, walked off and had reached 38. The winds were 5-10 mph all day.

Once were checked in and hitting a few on the range. I started to hit the R1. My initial plan was to play this driver at 8 degrees, and see how it goes. After a few swings on the range, I adjusted it to 9.5. Took a few swings. At that point I had the 10g weight on the heal, and it was absolutely ugly. I was hitting a high fade. Not the shot shape I like to play. So i changed the weights to 10g in the toe, and things started to look more normal. I took a few more swings and put it back in the bag.

It was an absolute pleasure to hit this driver today, I hit 10 fairways today which is pretty darn good for my game at this point in the season. Distance is difficult to rate on a day like this. I did hit the Cleveland on one par 5 to have a gauge of distance comparison. And the R1 was equal. I noticed all day that I was having to club down 2 clubs due to the cold and little bit of wind.

As far as forgiveness goes, the R1 performed really well, on two drives in particular i will speak of.
    The first was on a Par 4 438 yard hole. I hit the ball low and towards the heal. That resulted in a low screamer, with considerable distance loss, and a little left of the target line, just off the fairway in what would be the first cut during the normal season. I knew as soon as I hit the ball exactly where it was struck on the face. Which tells me how responsive the head shaft combination is for me.
    The second was a on a par 5, 521 yards. I hit a ball high out on the toe. Resulting in a high bomb with a big draw. It landed in the fairway with considerable yardage loss. But it was playable. This shot i could also feel exactly where it was hit.

Confidence. I didn't hit every fairway, but I did hit it on every hole that wasn't a par 3, which is not how I normally play. I like to hit 3 wood on holes that are less than 350yards, seems to work best for my wedge play as a rule. But after the first 4 tee shots with the R1 I decided that I was going to test this on every tee box. The more I hit it the more confident I was getting. I honestly can say that it's the first time since using the R1 that I had that feeling. On this course there is a couple of short par 4's Short enough that when i got up to the Tee. my only thought was driving the green. I wasn't able to make that exactly happen, but to be able to mentally go there was a pretty cool feeling. On both greens I was just off the green, and hitting short chips.

I feel like I'm settling in with this Driver and it looks like it could have a spot in my bag for a while. I'm really looking forward to normal golf conditions to get a feel for the where the distances are. I've always said that I would trade distance for accuracy and in the end if that's what get then I will take it.

Appearance: I will say that it really doesn't effect me at address ever. But having said that. I would not normally look at a driver with these markings. I feel like there is just to much going on. But, considering it's a non issue at address, and I'm finding fairways, and gaining confidence with it. I have to say it's a non-issue. It's a case of "don't judge the book by it's cover".

Thanks to Taylor Made and THP for this opportunity to test
    WITB
    Big Bertha Alpha
    Xhot 3 deep
    Pro 20
    J40 CB Recoil Proto 125
    J40 51 54 58 DG Spinner
    Z3 CS
    B330

Kentucky Wildcat Fan! bobgeorge's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Great write-ups everyone! I have skimmed most of the posts...but have a question. What is the difference between the regular, TP, and super TP versions? Just shafts choices?
    In my 2.0 cart I have:

R1 driver/Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6S shaft F3 and F7 Mashie fairway woods M4 Mashie hybrid PP-9003 5-PW with Oban i83 graphite shafts Vokey SM5 50F, 54F, and 58K 38" Counter-Balanced SB2 Private Reserve GoLo putter GX4i2 rangefinder

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobgeorge View Post
    Great write-ups everyone! I have skimmed most of the posts...but have a question. What is the difference between the regular, TP, and super TP versions? Just shafts choices?
    OTHER than costing $500 more would be shocked that there would be any significant performance advantage whatsoever to the super TP. , but all brilliant minds may not think alike.

Rocketballz Stage 2 #5
    Hybrid Callaway Razr 21

Putter YES Victoria II

Handicap
    Thanks
    There has been quite a lull on the reports on this one, maybe it has all been covered in depth.

Rocketballz Stage 2 #5
    Hybrid Callaway Razr 21

Putter YES Victoria II

#ATLClive75
    Handicap
    Thanks
    OTHER than costing $500 more would be shocked that there would be any significant performance advantage whatsoever to the super TP. , but all brilliant minds may not think alike.

I was pretty surprised when I saw the "super" TP on TM's website for $800. I am not familiar with the shaft included in the super TP model, but $800 for a driver seems to push the limits.

This is certainly not limited to TayloreMade, though. The clear trend is for club manufacturers to offer premium shafts at a correspondingly premium price.

I am interested to see how the B Asha performs in the R1. With that said, the stock shaft has been solid for me. I thought it would be too light and cause too much dispersion, but the ball really wants to hold its line. I have been more impressed with this shaft than other offerings from other manufacturers for the stock shaft.
    Current Setup:

Apex 5-AW, TourV
    Versa #7 WBW
    SR3

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLGolfer View Post
    I was pretty surprised when I saw the "super" TP on TM's website for $800. I am not familiar with the shaft included in the super TP model, but $800 for a driver seems to push the limits.

This is certainly not limited to TayloreMade, though. The clear trend is for club manufacturers to offer premium shafts at a correspondingly premium price.

I am interested to see how the B Asha performs in the R1. With that said, the stock shaft has been solid for me. I thought it would be too light and cause too much dispersion, but the ball really wants to hold its line. I have been more impressed with this shaft than other offerings from other manufacturers for the stock shaft.
    B asha set up sounds like money to me and since you like the stock shaft, on those very rare occasions when your driver game is just a little off you have another shaft choice THAT YOU LIKE. My buddy who is a good player has given up on the R1 but oddly he absolutely kills his R11S, both his R1 and his R11 S have the stock shafts which are very close to each other in specs. The R1 shaft is only 5 grams lighter and he can't really feel much shaft difference, but for whatever reason the R1 is not to his liking.. Maybe he got a funky one.

Rocketballz Stage 2 #5
    Hybrid Callaway Razr 21

Putter YES Victoria II