The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to know... And show my newness :)

The guys have been encouraging me to sign-up and I am watching for something I would be able to give intelligent feedback on as I read, learn and play.

The more people sign up for testing...any testing...the more manufacturers take notice and the more opportunities this community has to test more products. I always encourage anyone and everyone here to sign up for testings.

So honest question to those that sign up for testings, and pay attention to signups.

What is more active in your opinion?
1. Person posts 70 posts per week and usually in equipment or tournament threads.
2. Person posts 150 posts per week, but 95% of them are in the random and off topic threads.

As a person that mainly operates in the off topic threads I would say number 1.

Is there such a thing as "right" threads though? I mean lets use you as an example and I think you are a great member of this forum. However outside of the MC threads right now, it would be safe to say that most would not know of you right? Is that an active member? Im not disagreeing or coming down on you, so I hope you dont take it that way, just asking questions.

Unless it says otherwise (which sometimes it does), it is open for everybody. We have done ladies specific before, but I dont believe there is such as thing as mens specific on THP.

Absolutely a fair question(and I appreciate that great compliment), and you are 100% correct. I have put my focus into The Morgan Cup, and talking about the my sponsor and the incredible equipment they have provided for me, as well as getting into the other sponsors threads. I will say that perhaps I should not at current point be selected for any other testing based on what I am doing, but there is at least a method to my madness in that I am trying to help/better the forum. So I do not know if there is such a thing as the "right" threads, or "wrong" threads, but you should at least be talking equipment somewhere, which I am doing all over the Cleveland threads, and those are not listed as TMC threads, they are listed as review threads. Does any of that make sense.

So honest question to those that sign up for testings, and pay attention to signups.

1. Person posts 70 posts per week and usually in equipment or tournament threads.
2. Person posts 150 posts per week, but 95% of them are in the random and off topic threads.

In a perfect world a mix between the two. I am with smalls in my definition, In my mind person 2 is more "active" on THP but may not be best suited for testing.

I'll take option #1 for the block

That is a good question because I have come to respect what thepete posts in here but yet he is not posting in the banter/rant/what are you drinking threads but mostly in the golf threads. At the same time, I would hate that JR thinks he's posting too much in the hot sauce thread and stops doing that all together because he thinks it would hurt his being selected chances. JR seems to have some very good thoughts on many different things...golf being one of them.

I guess it's a fine line because both would be great testers and both do things differently.

A couple thoughts on the active/testing convo.

1.) Sometimes joining a new forum is tough. People have the assumption that most people are here to get free stuff when they sign up and in some cases, that is true. That's what I said above, sometimes banter is the best way to acclimate yourself to the board and get to know the personality of those around you. Should that be the only place you post? No, absolutely not. But I like to consider myself a pretty active member of THP and it took me a while to get comfortable adding my thoughts on equipment, simply because I had never been relied on by others to provide feedback.

2.) As someone mentioned before, a few of us live in "the sticks" and don't have the luxury of having Golf Galaxy and Dick's around us, to go hit the latest and greatest, any time we wish. Which, does make it hard for some people to constantly provide feedback and pondering thoughts. Take me for example. Last weekend, I had to drive almost 2 hours one way, just to participate in a demo day that was going to have all the OEM's that I had interest in there. Lord knows, if I was able to visit GG and Dick's and play with more equipment, I would be in the pondering thread everyday. Some don't have that luxury.

3.) We have a damn impressive forum and an equally impressive list of active members. Not only does THP have a job to do, in regards to testing and educating people on the product, but I think THP started with growth in mind and that will always be the goal, to continue to grow. While it is easy for me to say, because I don't have my reputation on the line, but sometimes, it may be worth the risk to take a chance on someone that is new, but shows promise of becoming an active member with tons of insight. Like I said, that is easy for me to say because my reputation is not on the line for choosing testers. But who knows, maybe one of those new members, could become the next Albatross Member, or next MC Captain.

Those are just a few of my thoughts. I think THP does a smash up job in selecting testers as it is.

I would say #2 is more active, though they may not necessarily contribute as much to the forum as #1.

This could be a tough question to answer because it is not said what the posts in either situation is about. A person can be posting in the equipment or tournament threads and be posting things like "great video TC" or " my brother has the same irons" so he/she is not contributing much to the conversation like I think you are trying to pose in your example. I think either person in this example can be good or bad, depending on what your personal opinion of what an active person in a forum is by definition. Some people in a recent thread for a test of a product felt they were active members. They have been part of the forum for over two years and have less than 75 posts total. Then they continue to say that if chosen to be a tester for this equipment their activity level will meet the desired levels for the testing procedure at hand. Why bot get to those levels first THEN put your hat in the ring to be chosen. It is a difficult challenge you have picking testers and such, there have been many discussions over time here about this subject and will continue to be a challenge for those who must do the selection.

I like this....

Active could mean a lot of things but in my head active could be 'well-rounded' and popping in all over the place in various threads. Equipment or not.

In a perfect world a mix between the two. I am with smalls in my definition, In my mind person 2 is more "active" on THP but may not be best suited for testing.

I just sent a text and subconsciously put two periods after yeah so it was 6 characters..

Here's a question though, if someone in category one is posting a lot in the equipment or tournament threads, but the majority of the posts are banter would that be more than someone in category 2 who only posts 5% in those types of threads but brings a lot of insight/information/etc. in the few posts they have?

Posts must be at least 6 characters long at THP???

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Posts must be at least 6 characters long at THP???

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.
Yes.

At face value, option 1 seems to be the obvious choice. However as others have said, if the content of their posts isn't equipment related then that muddies the decision quite a bit. I know you guys don't have all day to go through all of a given tester's posts, so it's hard to choose, and I appreciate that you guys put so much effort into it. I guess at the end of the day I'd want to see a mixture of the two options, with some strong content or contribution to equipment related discussion.

So it looks like all the other threads are active since this has one comment in a hour and 40 minutes.
It's about balance, being active is about being involved in all aspects of the forum, especially golf. Want to banter cool, nba your thing..sweet. RBZ thread or i20 should be as well.

They're both active. But when making tester choices it's important to weigh how a member expresses himself when discussing equipment. It seems you would want members that enjoy discussing feel, ball flight, etc. I think being active in equipment threads should trump all when making those decisions. But not just "Thanks for your feedback," active in equipment threads. I obviously am not real active in equipment threads and when I am, I prefer not the what brand club should I buy, but the mindset behind a purchase. Things like gapping, wedge lofts, offset, head shape, that type of thing. I also prefer golf discussions about strategy, course management, etc. I like tournament talk, too, and enjoy LPGA discussions as much as PGA.

But when weighing "activity", I suggest going with those that really love talking about equipment: feel, sound, looks, design, etc. People that like to tinker with their game by using different equipment make ideal testers.

My $.02.

Kevin

The more I see clips of 'Prometheus' the more I want to see it....especially since it's a prequel to the whole Aliens franchise.....definitely a movie to see on the big screen for sure

The more I see clips of 'Prometheus' the more I want to see it....especially since it's a prequel to the whole Aliens franchise.....definitely a movie to see on the big screen for sure

i agree i saw previews at the movies a few times and all these commercials make me wanna see it even more. and i wasn't a huge aliens fan.

i agree i saw previews at the movies a few times and all these commercials make me wanna see it even more. and i wasn't a huge aliens fan.

I heard this about Prometheus: "Visual - 10 , story line - 6" On the fence about seeing it. Wife doesnt want to see it...

I heard this about Prometheus: "Visual - 10 , story line - 6" On the fence about seeing it. Wife doesnt want to see it...

i heard suspenseful music-11!

I like this....

Active could mean a lot of things but in my head active could be 'well-rounded' and popping in all over the place in various threads. Equipment or not.

Funny, but I always tend to lean towards any advise/testimony I get from those who are in your definition "well-rounded" on THP. Although in your said definition, Cookie would be simply "round".

Did you see the youtube video where the guy made Mrs. Doubtfire look like a horror movie with Suspensful music and different effects? It is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back