Anyone have a stretching routine or DVD to recommend?

InHartWeTrust

Ball Go Far.
Reaction score
Handicap
4-5ish
During my 5 year hiatus from golf I spent a lot of my time lifting weights...not just lifting weights like a gym rat, I was basically preparing as if I was entering an Amateur Bodybuilding competition. Now I have lost most of that muscle after injury and not lifting for over a year, but that is beside the point.

The few times I played golf while I was heavy into the gym scene, I was so stiff that I could barely swing. I am back into lifting but this time I want to do it right (for golf), I want to gain strength and stability that will help my golf game while maintaining flexibility. The problem is, I never regained that flexibility I once had (when I was in high school, I was a bean pole and flexible as hell which equaled a lot of swing speed) so I want to gain all of it back. I just feel like it would make my golf swing more effortless and repeatable like it once was.

Anyone have any suggestions on a stretching protocol?

Maybe a basics yoga DVD?

Power Vinyasa yoga by Baron Baptiste is very good, but can be intense. Easily found on Amazon, etc.

Maybe a basics yoga DVD?

Power Vinyasa yoga by Baron Baptiste is very good, but can be intense. Easily found on Amazon, etc.

That was my first thought, power yoga. I will look into your suggestion, thanks cookie.

Any other THP'er have any suggestions? Or is this cut and dry on the power yoga?

you got the best suggestion you could get on your first answer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpqNbltgFW4 a lot of pro long drivers do yoga dont tell anyone tho.

haha I'm pretty comfortable with my manhood, I made it pretty well known to the guys at work that I was considering doing yoga on the side now that I was back to lifting. Haters gonna hate.

Thanks for the affirmation that power yoga is my best bet!

also, krank...just watch a bit of that video, looks great. Thanks again dude.

no problem the ddp yoga is awsome to. if ya can spare the $ thats a great deal.

I also need some flexibility improvement. I've been wanting to ask the same question.
I remember seeing an add for a DVD set on golf channel but can't remember the name. Maybe AJ something.
Anyone know what I'm talking about and is it any good. It said he works with some of the senior guys to help them regain their flexibility.

Hi dude im a gymnast coach, firstly Th emain flexability exercise i can give you is sit in a straddle or with your legs spread as wide as you can from here you have to try and get your left shoulder inside youe left knee reaching your right arm over your head, then do the same the opposite side then try and get your belly on the floor.

2nd exercise kneel on the floor side on to a sofa, hold a club across your chest with your arms in a cross and turn against the sofa, the sofa will stop your bottom half moving whilst your top half streches hold it for 20 seconds then turn a little more and hold it again for 20 seconds. Turn around and do it the opposite way.

If there is any specific areas you need other streches for let me know.

Hi dude im a gymnast coach, firstly Th emain flexability exercise i can give you is sit in a straddle or with your legs spread as wide as you can from here you have to try and get your left shoulder inside youe left knee reaching your right arm over your head, then do the same the opposite side then try and get your belly on the floor.

2nd exercise kneel on the floor side on to a sofa, hold a club across your chest with your arms in a cross and turn against the sofa, the sofa will stop your bottom half moving whilst your top half streches hold it for 20 seconds then turn a little more and hold it again for 20 seconds. Turn around and do it the opposite way.

Thanks, boss! Much appreciated, if I run into any issues I may shoot you a PM.

A+ thanks. I do yoga as well, but sometimes you just want to do something while watching the tube...try to be somewhat productive while watching the game.:clapp:

This program:

http://kaifitnessforgolf.com

is endorsed by Annika Sorenstam. It's not cheap and I've not tried it so I can't give any opinion on its effectiveness, but if Annika put her name behind it, chances are good she believes in it.

During my 5 year hiatus from golf I spent a lot of my time lifting weights...not just lifting weights like a gym rat, I was basically preparing as if I was entering an Amateur Bodybuilding competition. Now I have lost most of that muscle after injury and not lifting for over a year, but that is beside the point.

The few times I played golf while I was heavy into the gym scene, I was so stiff that I could barely swing. I am back into lifting but this time I want to do it right (for golf), I want to gain strength and stability that will help my golf game while maintaining flexibility. The problem is, I never regained that flexibility I once had (when I was in high school, I was a bean pole and flexible as hell which equaled a lot of swing speed) so I want to gain all of it back. I just feel like it would make my golf swing more effortless and repeatable like it once was.

Anyone have any suggestions on a stretching protocol?

I suffered the same way Hart ( actually your story sounds exactly the same as mine! ). Unfortunetly, not only did the lifting make me stiff, I'm 47 now & genetics have kicked in & arthiritis & degenerative discs have reared their ugly head! But I am back lifting, but doing more compund exercises, medicine ball work, and stretching a lot. A good book to get is "Core Performance for Golf" by Mark Versteegan. Great stretches & ideas for good core work in there. I would also recommend seeing a really good chiro - mine has helped me immensly. How old are you?

One of the best places to start would be using a foam roller and work up to using a tennis or lacrosse ball, especially on you thoracic spine, hips, and IT band. I would also try and do more dynamic warmup type moves rather than the traditional stretch and hold. There is a lot of conflicting schools of thought out there on if static stretching is actually effective or not for actually making meaningful increase in flexibility and mobility. You might do some research on that and see what you think makes sense. With the more dynamic warmups you use some of the same movements, but in a more flowing manner. The following is essentially what I do as a warmup for most of my workouts. You could use it as stand alone mobility work also, just do multiple sets.

Foam roller/lacrosse ball
Toe touch/sumo squat/to Y
Down dog to cobra
Reverse lunge to reach
Spider man with rotation
Hip hinge

Do each for 20 seconds, holding each position about 2 seconds

Some additional ones you can add

Wall slides
Quadruped extension rotation
Open book
Overhead squat w golf club or stick

There are a few others that I do not know the name of, but do a search on Youtube for thoracic spine and hip mobility exercise. Anything with Mike Boyle and Eric Cressey would be very good to do.

Good luck!

Last edited:

I agree. Miguel never quite looked this good doing it.

This video has me inspired to remember to stretch before play.
And cheers to a speedy recovery to Miguel he is a master at showing the youngsters how to properly stretch and is missed at the Accenture Match play this week.

Indeed! The world of warming up needs a fit and healthy MAJ.

On topic shocker - P90X has a good yoga workout, and also a stretching routine, which both helped my flexibility big time.

Thanks guys, sorry that I just now saw that this thread was bumped.

BB, I am 27.

For a really quick stretch before a round or something like that, Tony Horton (of P90X fame) has a 10 Minute Trainer series that has a yoga video. I can't stand that guy at all, but for a quick stretch to get the back and other muscles loosened up, it's actually a decent 10 minute exercise.

I do P90X X-Stretch once a week. It's about 50 minutes but is really effective. A few years ago I decided to improve my overall fitness including flexibility. Didn't have golf in mind at the time but I think it's helped.

Back