Red vs. Black Player Numbers

JF

Reaction score
I've heard a couple different answers as to what the difference between red and black player numbers are. At least in premium balls it seems the softer spinnier ball is black and the firmer longer ball is red. I've heard it's determined by high or low compression ball. I've heard it's price (wtc???). So THP, can someone tell me a definitive answer as to that the difference is?

A Manufacture such as titleist uses the red number for their Prov1x distance ball and Prov1 is black for a spin ball, and callaway used black for their distance ball (i(z))and red for their softer spin ball (i(s))so it's all depending on the model and individual manufactures it has nothing to do with high or low compression, a lot of companies used this to show the Prov1 technology such as Srixon zstar is black because it has prov1esque technology and the Zstar xv has red because it is Prov1xesque technology if that makes any sense.

Not a definitive answer, but I have always heard compression.

Srixon doesn't seem to follow that rule though. Probably because it's not an American company :p

The new Callaway Black has black numbers and the chrome is red numbers. I have no clue as to why they do this either.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Not a definitive answer, but I have always heard compression.

Srixon doesn't seem to follow that rule though. Probably because it's not an American company :p

I was just thinking about QStar being black and that's what prompted me to start the thread.

I don't know if it holds true anymore but I think it does but I believe red is 90 compression and black is 100 compression

I'm sure there are no guidelines for any company to print any color numbers on any of their balls. Each company does it their own way to identify their own specific ball. I've seen blue and green as well, so that just even further throws out the whole definitive reason for red/black numbered balls.

Hmmm. I wouldn't be surprised if for some balls the compression is a factor, and for other it may indicate higher/lower ball quality. Either way I believe it's manufacture specific

Riddle me this! What about Nike red swoosh balls!?

I'm sure there are no guidelines for any company to print any color numbers on any of their balls. Each company does it their own way to identify their own specific ball. I've seen blue and green as well, so that just even further throws out the whole definitive reason for red/black numbered balls.

RocketBallz and Velocity are both "odd" colored balls. We know neither is very high compression though.

Back