Shallow Faced Drivers

From what I've seen the 910 D3 is shallow. But I'd go with what TC said. Getting a shaft to hit low bullets seems like it would get the job done. What you have here is a cool idea though.

Shameless Packer plug.

I scrambled with a dude today that hit the low runner. He was damn lethal with it.

Man I wish I had kept that club. Thanks for the pics Esox!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Why not just slap a stiff, low launching shaft in your R11?

That's the beauty of the R11

Because i would still have to tee it kind of high because of the depth of the face. The stinger type 3Ws I've hit my last couple rounds I tee up just above the grass.

I can work the ball so much better when I hit it lower.

Kevin

Yeah, the Tarheels lost in the Elite 8.

I keep hearing something about Labarron, or LeBrian, something like that. It's tiresome.

Kevin

So this Orlimar has a "By Orlimar Frequency Matched Precision Flighted" steel shaft. "Firm" flex.

I'm going to give this baby a whirl. The grip's a little dried out. lol.

Kevin

Orlimar needed Jack Hamm and they would have been huge

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Looking at the old drivers makes me wonder how I ever managed to hit them, then it makes me wonder why I can still mishit sometimes with a Volkswagen on stick.

I was going to say the J38 from Bridgestone (I know it's old), that thing was as shallow as a 3 wood. Then I remembered the whole lefty thing. Sorry guys. Seriously.

Some others said the i20, that looked pretty shallow when I picked it up.

Esox,

What about a Cleveland TOUR DST launcher? Honestly not sure how shallow it is, just assuming @ 430cc it is a bit shallow. They seem cheap on ebay so it wouldn't be a costly experiment...

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/CA_lau...__launcher_dst_tour_dr__viewProd_drivers.html

I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to see if I can try a little experiment with the Orlimar. I have a component 4W I don't game. A Bang-o-matic with a good shaft in it. If the tip is the right size, I'm going to put that in it and play it off the tee like a 10.5* 3W off the tee. Might be fun to play a 3W size driver lofted club with a FW wood length shaft.

Kevin

That's similar to what I'm doing with my old MacGregor driver, only larger. I've been amazed at the results off the deck, but have only hit it once off a tee.

I think the Superfast 2.0's are really shallow, those can be found cheap and might be pretty cool with a 3w shaft.

This is a great thread and it touches on a subject I have given a lot of thought to lately. A couple of weeks ago I was paired up with a guy who was playing a new i20 9.5* and his drives only got about 50' off the ground, only carried about 175, but ran out a good 80-100 more yards. This was on a seaside course with moist fairways, I can only imagine the rollout he would get on a firm course. I was blasting away, hitting my usual high drives and was always way behind him. Sure, if there was a forced carry or very moist conidtions he may be in trouble but in most other situations his shot was golden. I have been thinking how cool it would be to have 2 drivers, 1 for ultimate carry and 1 for ultimate roll. I could even probabaly get away with dropping a wedge and keeping both drivers in the bag at all times.

This is confusing to me. Ground = friction / resistance. Shouldn't the ball ultimately go further (assuming no wind) if we keep it in the air longer?

What about a shallow face 3W with a stronger loft? The sizes of modern 3W are probably about the same as the older drivers. I am pretty sure you can get Adams, Titleist and some Callaway (RAZR Hawk?) in 13* or 13.5*.

I had a Orlimar 11* trimetal back in the day, wasnt that great off the tee for me but was great off the deck. That club was a favorite of mine and I wonder what happened to Orlimar was a very popular company in the late 90s.

um, i hate to say it but...if you could find a Callaway big bertha driver with the shaft combo you're looking for, do it. that club to this day is one of my top 5 drivers. smaller head with a relatively 'short' face

This is confusing to me. Ground = friction / resistance. Shouldn't the ball ultimately go further (assuming no wind) if we keep it in the air longer?

It's all about spin rate and angle of descent. If you hit a drive with lots of back spin and a steep angle of descent you will get all carry and no roll.
If you hit a drive with very minimal back spin and a shallow descent angle you may get less carry but the additional roll out could equal a longer total.

Tapped that...

um, i hate to say it but...if you could find a Callaway big bertha driver with the shaft combo you're looking for, do it. that club to this day is one of my top 5 drivers. smaller head with a relatively 'short' face
Very interesting. Not to hijack the thread but I have been pondering exactly what I just suggested - a 13.5 3W to replace the D and 3W, but your idea has merit. I've got an old CBB in like 10.5 and can't hit it because the shaft is way too soft. I've never changed a shaft...have to figure that out and maybe give it a shot.

So I'm having a Mitsubishi Rayon Javlin shaft taken from a component 4W and having it put in the 10.5* Orlimar to play at 43". If the experiment works I'll carry my driver, the Orlimar, and my TEE 3W. Pair them with an R11 21* Rescue, my 5-PW TM CBs, three wedges, and a putter.

Picking the reshafted Orilmar up from Golfsmith on Friday.

Kevin

ESOX, this is a super skim but have you thought about a RBZ Tour 3W? May get that driver distance you want in a smaller shallower head.

So I'm having a Mitsubishi Rayon Javlin shaft taken from a component 4W and having it put in the 10.5* Orlimar to play at 43". If the experiment works I'll carry my driver, the Orlimar, and my TEE 3W. Pair them with an R11 21* Rescue, my 5-PW TM CBs, three wedges, and a putter.

Picking the reshafted Orilmar up from Golfsmith on Friday.

Kevin

Very nice, looking forward to your thoughts. We may even call you a trendsetter after this takes off!

ESOX, this is a super skim but have you thought about a RBZ Tour 3W? May get that driver distance you want in a smaller shallower head.

As this thread has progressed, and I found the Orlimar in my basement, what I'm looking for has shifted a bit I think. I don't want to replace my driver with a 3W, but have a different kind of driver I can use to hit low running shots shots in certain situations.

Kevin

Back