Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

No kidding? The 4iron is your favorite? That's outstanding. I'm quite fond of the PW myself, LOL. I like being creative with it.

4 iron is my new go to club on the tee, dude. I'm a long baller, so my driver can get me in deeeep trouble on any type of bad swing; but it seems like the 4 iron is 225+ and in the fairway almost automatically. A 3 iron would be putting me alongside most of my playing partners drives (just a tad shorter), and I presume it would find the short grass quite often as well.

It being my overall favorite club is a product of it 1) putting me in fairways 2) being my 2nd shot club on par 5's to the green with confidence I will have 2 putt birdies, and 3) the fact that I have had forged blade 2, 3, and 4 irons in my bag for 7 years before this set...by comparison, this is easier to hit than my old PW haha.

Not crazy and not rambling at all Jman, just telling it like it is buddy. I absolutely loved the 3iron in the Burner 2.0 iron set I had. I used it a lot more than I ever imagined. Who knows man, maybe there are just those that are better with long irons and those that are better with the hybo. I'm still trying to figure out which one I am.

Jman, Your killing me with the 3 iron talk... I just added the 4 iron and love it, after couple of hybrid duffs your tempting me with all the 3 iron raves. I never hit a regular 4 iron well until this one. Problem is during the last year and a half I have gone from 120s to low to mid 80s. Best tournament at 85. That's just due to a major obsession that had me pick up the game at age 41--at the range or playing a few times a week. I gave up 3-4 irons early and it may just be due to swing improvements and not i20s that have made playing with these long irons so much better. now to decide on 3 vs hybrid... gaming L-4 now in i20

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Dude, the hybrid struggles for me (I'm a hooker, hehe) drove me to the 3i from my beloved fybrid. It was a great move for me because I'm so confident with my iron ballstriking right now. I don't want to make the 3i seem like its a sure thing because I know for some people it just wont be, but if you are solid ballstrikig and give it its due respect the ball just goes and goes. This is a whole new world for me.

4 iron is my new go to club on the tee, dude. I'm a long baller, so my driver can get me in deeeep trouble on any type of bad swing; but it seems like the 4 iron is 225+ and in the fairway almost automatically. A 3 iron would be putting me alongside most of my playing partners drives (just a tad shorter), and I presume it would find the short grass quite often as well.

It being my overall favorite club is a product of it 1) putting me in fairways 2) being my 2nd shot club on par 5's to the green, and 3) the fact that I have had forged blade 2,3, and 4 irons for 7 years before this set...by comparison, this is easier to hit than my old PW haha.

I can see that. Sounds like you need to be pulling the trigger on the 3iron stat!

Not crazy and not rambling at all Jman, just telling it like it is buddy. I absolutely loved the 3iron in the Burner 2.0 iron set I had. I used it a lot more than I ever imagined. Who knows man, maybe there are just those that are better with long irons and those that are better with the hybo. I'm still trying to figure out which one I am.

I think that is it completely. When I started I went hybrid because it was said to be easier, and it was. I tried to hit a 3i in my old Hippo set and it was just sad. But, I've finally bought in to trapping the ball and compressing it and the hybrids really started to struggle for me when I did. When they are good, their great, but I have that hook imbedded in my head. Put a long iron in front of me now and its same swing and just get after it. I love that.

I can see that. Sounds like you need to be pulling the trigger on the 3iron stat!

Don't I know it!! I just need to find money for it while I am trying to buy new wedges, and a 3 wood too.

Maybe I'll get selected to test the ATV wedges and free some cash up that way...if not, I have a birthday in August, I am going to try to call in some early birthday gifts :D

Played my first round with the i20's today and shot an 85. One word that describes my iron play today "straight". As everyone has mentioned miss hits are incredible with these clubs but they were very few of them today. If I was not focusing on trying out different shots I am pretty sure I would have broken 80 today from the tips. Key highlights of the i20's

Par 3 playing to back of green at 169. 7 iron hit the green and rolled off a steep drop on the green to 4 yards away. Distance was right where I needed it be and I was playing for a slight draw which did not come at all today.

Par 4 with a drive that left me 110 to the center of the green. Wedge to about 10 feet and a 2 putt for par.

Par 4 where I shanked mt drive to the left behind some trees. I was 215 out and my only open look was 30 yards right of the green. I played a hook with the 3 iron to the front of the green. I played several 3 irons today that were incredible.

Par 4 440 yards. 3 iron off the tee which left me short of fairway bunkers that were 230 on the right hand side. Played another three iron from 215 out the ended up on the right fringe of the green.

Other interesting stats from today's round:
90 to 110 yards out I was 5 for 5 today hitting greens with the wedge.
The 5 par 3's were played at 2 over including one 3 putt. 4 of the 5 tee shot hit the green or fringe.
4 double bogies today and each one I hit a poor tee shot with my driver.

Very impressed after the first round. This weekend I am moving to Atlanta if anyone if interested in playing send me a message.

Dude, the hybrid struggles for me (I'm a hooker, hehe) drove me to the 3i from my beloved fybrid. It was a great move for me because I'm so confident with my iron ballstriking right now. I don't want to make the 3i seem like its a sure thing because I know for some people it just wont be, but if you are solid ballstrikig and give it its due respect the ball just goes and goes. This is a whole new world for me.

Know where you guys are coming from for sure. Like my set up now, reduces variables and swing thoughts. Iron and wood setup is working really well. I considered the 3I big time and if it wasn't for the F7 success I may have an order in as we speak.

Will have another update up tonight. Decent round. i20's were great. Driver and chipping not so much.

Will have another update up tonight. Decent round. i20's were great. Driver and chipping not so much.

Maybe you need to take a page out of some other i20 users book and use a 3 or 4 iron off of the tee more! Seems like it's money for some.

Pulled the trigger on the i20 today. Only problem is that they are out of stock in all of europe. Five week waiting time:(. It's this tread's fault, seeing everything I've read about them in here is positive:). Never considered Pings before, shows just how much I know.
God I just can't wait to take these out on course.

Pulled the trigger on the i20 today. Only problem is that they are out of stock in all of europe. Five week waiting time:(. It's this tread's fault, seeing everything I've read about them in here is positive:). Never considered Pings before, shows just how much I know.
God I just can't wait to take these out on course.

Atta boy!

Sold out in Europe? Oh my, the i20 hype is global. I can dig it.

I know this thread is a great way to get the word out. In the end it's the irons that speak for themselves.

Maybe you need to take a page out of some other i20 users book and use a 3 or 4 iron off of the tee more! Seems like it's money for some.

I started the trend with the 3i off the tee, was the only tester to get a 3i with my set, haha.

Lee Westwood tweeted that he had his 1st round with the i20's in his bag today. I hope they're there to stay. He also rolled the Nome. Shot a 68. I guess that's a solid start.

That's pretty exciting. I hope he starts tearing it up with the i20's.

I started the trend with the 3i off the tee, was the only tester to get a 3i with my set, haha.

Want a cookie? hehehe

I wish I'd gone with one form the start dude! I love this club!

Lee Westwood tweeted that he had his 1st round with the i20's in his bag today. I hope they're there to stay. He also rolled the Nome. Shot a 68. I guess that's a solid start.

AWESOME! Dude I hope he games the crud out of them.

Want a cookie? hehehe

I wish I'd gone with one form the start dude! I love this club!

AWESOME! Dude I hope he games the crud out of them.

Dude, leave me out of this. :alien:

I will be swinging these clubs this weekend. Gotta try some of the long iron action for myself also.

Dude, leave me out of this. :alien:

I will be swinging these clubs this weekend. Gotta try some of the long iron action for myself also.

You know, when I typed that and hit post I thought to myself....I bet Cookie appears. LOL

For sure dude, whats mine is yours to try out too, you may not dig the CT's but the 3i has the CFS in it. I'll also be bringing some putter goodness (can you say damascus?) for you to mess with...but that's for another thread.

6/5/12
Par 72: 85(39/46)
Wind: 10+ steady
  1. Par 4 (5). 3w to right of the fairway. Had 173 left to pin. Hit a decent 7i but pulled it a little left. Ended up just off the fringe in the middle of the green. Bad chip and 2 putt.
  2. Par 4 (5). Hit 3W straight but into fairway bunker. 101 left and tried to play a ¾ shot with the PW. Hit is decent but hit the right edge of the green and went halfway down the slope on the side of the green. 2 bad chip and 1 Putt.
  3. Par 5 (7)(No irons used) Perfect drive. 234 left to green, pushed 3w into bunker. Bad bunker shots and chips. 1 putt
  4. Par 4 (4) (No Irons used) 3w middle fairway. 96yards left, 54*. 2 Putt
  5. Par 3 (3) 145, hit easy 9i. Landed middle of green about 20ft away from pin. 2 putt
  6. Par 5 (5) (No Irons used) Driver middle, sliced FrankA’s 5w to left of green. 58* to 10ft or less. 2 putt
  7. Par 4 (4) 3w right fairway. 127 to pin. ¾ PW to about 12 ft. 2 putt
  8. Par 3 (2) 125, ¾ PW. Landed about 8 feet from pin but spun back to 22 ft or so. 1 putt
  9. Par 4 (4) Driver middle. 135 easy PW. Wanted to fly it past pin because of trouble in front and to the right. Went straight over flag about 25ft to pin.
  10. Par 4(5) 3w right to hazard. Should of taken 3i off this tee. 166 out, punched a 6i under trees to right of green, pin high. 1 putt
  11. Par 4(7) Topped driver into bunker. Tried to play a draw with 6i but got it too much on the toe. Still was okay since I played it safe. Bad wedge play, 2 putt.
  12. Par 3(4) 166, easy 7i. About 25ft middle of the green. 3 putt(including violent lip out).
  13. Par 5(5) Driver middle. Hit about a 200-210 layup with the 4i. Was able to keep it under the wind. Chip to 5ft, 2 putt
  14. Par 3(3) 141, 9i. Got it off the toe, landed front right of green about 30ft away. 2 putt
  15. Par 4 (5) Driver, miss right. 210, hit 6i with wind at back. Hit it a little off toe. Landed about 7 yards short of green. Was playing it safe or I would of taken more club. Chip to 10ft, 2 putt
  16. Par 4(6) Driver, pull left, unplayable. 101 steep uphill ¾ PW into wind. Wind stopped and flew the ball 10yards to long. 2 putt
  17. Par 5(7) (No irons used) Driver pull left, had to chip out. FrankA’s 5w to fringe. Bad chip, 2 putt
  18. Par 4(4) (No irons used) Driver middle, wedge to about 20ft. 2 putt
Overall my score could have been much lower. Bad drives, bad chips, and misreads killed me today. I was hitting the i20’s pretty solid. I am working more on ¾ shots with my higher loft irons. I like the control I am starting to see. Only a week and a half more until my club championship. Hopefully the i20’s will bring me to the First Flight crown.

'76 congrats, I found this forum also and couldn't find a reason not to go i20!

Just got the call....i20's arrived at the pro shop. Missed the UPS truck for today so in the brown truck tomorrow and should be in my hands by Tuesday!!!!

LeeC's game just moved to the next level.

I am working more on ¾ shots with my higher loft irons. I like the control I am starting to see.

I hit my best wedge ever last week. 3/4 PW to 4 feet from 90 yards. Love this wedge!

Back