I didn't really know what PED's really were!

neophyte

Reaction score
Handicap
Until I looked it up, I didn't really understand what is included as PED's. This is what I found when I looked it up. According to this should all PED's be outlawed and where should the line be drawn?

Performance-enhancing drugs

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Performance-enhancing drugs are substances used by athletes to improve their performances. The term may also refer to drugs used by military personnel to enhance combat performance.[SUP][1][/SUP]
[edit] Types of performance-enhancing drugs

Although the phrase performance-enhancing drugs is popularly used in reference to anabolic steroids or their precursors, world anti-doping organizations apply the term broadly. The phrase has been used to refer to several distinct classes of drugs:

• Painkillers mask athletes' pain so they can continue to compete and perform beyond their usual pain thresholds. Blood pressure is increased causing the cells in the muscles to be better supplied with vital oxygen. Painkillers used by athletes range from common over-the-counter medicines such as NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen) to powerful prescription narcotics.

• Diuretics expel water from athletes' bodies. They are often used by athletes such as wrestlers, who need to meet weight restrictions. Many stimulants also have secondary diuretic effect. (Also used as a masking drug)

• Blood boosters increase the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood beyond the individual's natural capacity. Their misuse is centered on endurance sports like cycling and nordic skiing. EPO is the most publicly known drug in this class.

• Masking drugs are used to prevent the detection of other classes of drugs. These evolve as quickly as do testing methods – which is very quick indeed – although a time-tested classic example is the use of epitestosterone, a drug with no performance-enhancing effects, to restore the testosterone/epitestosterone ratio (a common criterion in steroid testing) to normal levels after anabolic steroid supplementation

The classification of substances as performance-enhancing drugs is not entirely clear-cut and objective. As in other types of categorization, certain prototype performance enhancers are universally classified as such (like anabolic steroids), whereas other substances (like vitamins and protein supplements) are virtually never classified as performance enhancers despite their significant effects on athletes' performance. As is usual with categorization, there are borderline cases; caffeine, for example, is considered a performance enhancer by some athletic authorities but not others.

Way beyond my pay grade...

HA, the whizzinator. My room mate in college had one of those. His girl friend at the time found it in his desk drawer and went nuts. She thought it was used for something else. If you've seen one you'd get what I mean.

HA, the whizzinator. My room mate in college had one of those. His girl friend at the time found it in his desk drawer and went nuts. She thought it was used for something else. If you've seen one you'd get what I mean.

aka "the rubba donga" as Steve Elkington put it on the rome show one day lol which has since been my fantasy football team name

aka "the rubba donga" as Steve Elkington put it on the rome show one day lol which has since been my fantasy football team name

Thats a great FF name!

Thats a great FF name!

i thought so too ...if you havent heard that clip check youtube for it ... classic elkington

Back