Distance- The Wedge is Next

TMAdidas

Reaction score
Handicap
So as you all know, the main idea being pushed each year is distance. The more the merrier. It was always there with the driver. The fairway wood and hybrid have been slowly distanc-ized with the RBZ's speed-slot (they weren't the first, but they made sure people knew about it and associated it with them) and everyone was happy with their extra 17 yards, myself included. other companies are also making their hybrids and woods go very far. This is great because we hit these clubs from far away distances.Thus, we are showing the manufacturers that we want distance where we can get it. However, the iron isn't hit from as far away. It's more about controling where we want the ball to go. But, since we want distance the companies gave it to us.The 48* PW is slowly becoming 45*, then 44*, and you get the picture. Obviously there are still many "players irons" available that retain the traditional lofts and such. But, the Rocketbladez, and X hots are now competing over iron distancce, and we are buying. Now, there's nothing wrong with distance irons and I think that they are a great idea for many people myself included. (Can't wait to get my AMP's) But, just like the driver, what happens when they are done competing for irons? They seem to be still battling with fairways and hybrids, but still went on to irons. What is the next logical (to them) solution? The answer: the wedge

The Wedge is and should always be about control. It's goal is to hit shorter shots and have the utmost control of where the ball is going. But, so was the iron. The wedge will be the next place companies will go to get distance. It's already happening with Taylormade making the Rocketballz and R11 sand wedge. They are trying to corner the market on distance in a place no one looked: wedges. This will be terrible for high-handicappers and low-handicappers alike. There will be jumpers when we try to hit delicate chips, no predictability or distance control in bunkers. This is because we proved that we want distance.

The point I'm trying to make is that companies only make what we want. And research shows we want distance. But if this craving for distance gets out of hand, then our games will eventually be hurt. Spin is the biggest part of the wedge that people are pushing and that is a good thing for our game. But, just like the iron, control was lost eventually. I'm doubtful that wedges will become about distance at all. It would be an "out there" idea, but to those in the 60's and 70's I bet distance irons were "out there" ideas too. I really wrote this to caution about getting all about distance and not about control.

Last edited:
People will never associate wedges with distance. Always spin.

Also TaylorMade wasn't the first, not even the second, to come to market with with the speed slot idea. They were just the best at marketing it.

People will never associate wedges with distance. Always spin.

Also TaylorMade wasn't the first, not even the second, to come to market with with the speed slot idea. They were just the best at marketing it.

Yeah, but as I wrote in the post it was the one that people associated with fairway wood/ hybrid distance

Yeah, but as I wrote in the post it was the one that people associated with fairway wood/ hybrid distance

No doubt. But TaylorMade was just the best at marketing an idea that other companies thought of 3 years earlier.

No doubt. But TaylorMade was just the best at marketing an idea that other companies thought of 3 years earlier.

Or in the irons case decades ago.

Totally, just like the white. I believe that it was Cobra that had it first if i'm not mistaken. At least I'm pretty sure it was Cobra

Totally, just like the white. I believe that it was Cobra that had it first if i'm not mistaken. At least I'm pretty sure it was Cobra

TaylorMade had advertised before Cobra released their white club. Cobra just quick painted a club white and have it to Ian Poulter to beat TaylorMade to tour with it.

But I also think that Wilson Staff had a white driver on the early 90s

TaylorMade had advertised before Cobra released their white club. Cobra just quick painted a club white and have it to Ian Poulter to beat TaylorMade to tour with it.

But I also think that Wilson Staff had a white driver on the early 90s

Ok thanks, I guess I need to brush up on my club history. Wilson did the what is now known as "speed slot" in their irons too right? I guess they're the real inovators.

I think 2 things are coming in the way of clubs. The first thing is that companies like scor are going to take over because if the lofts are going to keep getting smaller then we are going to continue getting more wedges. If we hit a pw 160 yards then there is a need to fill the gap. The second thing that could happen is we are going to reach a point where companies have to reset the lofts on there clubs.

Ok thanks, I guess I need to brush up on my club history. Wilson did the what is now known as "speed slot" in their irons too right? I guess they're the real inovators.

I only know club history because other, smarter, people here at THP educated me. I just pay attention and remember the knowledge when it's brought forth.

I think 2 things are coming in the way of clubs. The first thing is that companies like scor are going to take over because if the lofts are going to keep getting smaller then we are going to continue getting more wedges. If we hit a pw 160 yards then there is a need to fill the gap. The second thing that could happen is we are going to reach a point where companies have to reset the lofts on there clubs.

That's a great point, never thought of that.

I only know club history because other, smarter, people here at THP educated me. I just pay attention and remember the knowledge when it's brought forth.

I guess that the student has become the master (insert mystical kung-fu voice)

I can tell you pretty much as fact, that neither of these things are going to come to fruition any time soon.
First, SCOR is definitely not going to take over neither are niche companies like them. Mainstream companies will offer lofts necessary and the two biggest selling wedges offer plenty. Second, there is no way lofts are getting reset. They are not set by distance, but by launch and it has taken years to dial that in to get stronger lofts like they have now.

And for what its worth, I dont agree with the OP here either (just my opinion). Distance to wedges is not coming. They are marketed on spin and will continue to be done that way.

I can tell you pretty much as fact, that neither of these things are going to come to fruition any time soon.
First, SCOR is definitely not going to take over neither are niche companies like them. Mainstream companies will offer lofts necessary and the two biggest selling wedges offer plenty. Second, there is no way lofts are getting reset. They are not set by distance, but by launch and it has taken years to dial that in to get stronger lofts like they have now.

And for what its worth, I dont agree with the OP here either (just my opinion). Distance to wedges is not coming. They are marketed on spin and will continue to be done that way.

I agree with pretty much everything here. You are already seeing it with most newer sets being 4-GW or AW rather than 3-PW. Even the AWs and GWs have gone from being named to just being numbered (50 degrees, 52 degrees).

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Just a little info from a guy who has been ( attempting) to play golf for over 30 years. The PW when I started to play was 52* and I'm not sure but I think the 845 irons from Tommy Armour were some of the first irons to go stronger lofts. The technology to make irons with lower lofts have been around since the late 60's with putting more weight on the bottom of the iron which helps one hit the ball higher with the same loft. Thats why even with all the technology you don't see 1 irons and rarly a 2 iron. It is correct that some "players" irons have a 47* PW which is only one iron # longer where GI and SGI are a full two iron # longer

There are Wilson Staff Iron sets with 44* and 43* PWs.... My "players irons" have a 47* loft and I hit them farther.
Just a little info from a guy who has been ( attempting) to play golf for over 30 years. The PW when I started to play was 52* and I'm not sure but I think the 845 irons from Tommy Armour were some of the first irons to go stronger lofts. The technology to make irons with lower lofts have been around since the late 60's with putting more weight on the bottom of the iron which helps one hit the ball higher with the same loft. Thats why even with all the technology you don't see 1 irons and rarly a 2 iron. It is correct that some "players" irons have a 47* PW which is only one iron # longer where GI and SGI are a full two iron # longer

no company will ever focus on making wedges about distance, they understand wedges are about spin & control

While I don't think we will see a "distance race" when it comes to wedges, I wouldn't be surprised to see a line of wedges with larger CB's that are designed to bridge the gap between the matching iron set wedges and the blade wedges that are so popular. Something that offers the distance of a set wedge with the control of the blades. I realize Cleveland has the CB wedges (and cg14 and 16 in the past) but something that takes it a bit farther.

Back