Financial Management Recommendations

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
I need to do better about tracking our finances such as what bills are do, last time they were paid, where we're spending our money, etc...

Does anyone use something like Mint or an app that helps with these types of things?

I am tedious about using Quicken. Have been for years and Microsoft Money prior to that. I've been using one or the other to manage Kelly and I's finances for almost 11 years now, and I can honestly tell you, doing so, helps me and her have a better understanding of our money and we don't argue about money like so many other couples out there.

I go old school on this one. Excel spreadsheet with bills inventoried for beginning and middle of the month, and entries for income. One tab for each month. Simple. Also wholeheartedly agree with JRM re effect of this on marital happiness.

My wife takes care of all our stuff since she is in accounting by trade. She uses Quicken for our home finances.

I go old school on this one. Excel spreadsheet with bills inventoried for beginning and middle of the month, and entries for income. One tab for each month. Simple. Also wholeheartedly agree with JRM re effect of this on marital happiness.

I do the same thing. Its awesome.

Same as Tequila. An excel sheet is more than enough. The tough bit is making sure you keep on top of it. And and the need to be able to slip golf purchases into multiple categories:egyptian:

I have Mint but never really use it, I'm young and my finances are pretty simple so I do most of it in my head when I question something that doesn't look right. Mint does seem very useful though.

I used Mint at one time but I switched to Pageonce and like it a lot better.

I use a spreadsheet as well. Just created a running total as well as budget categories. It works pretty well for me.

Do you bank at Redstone? They offer a free one on their online banking

+1 for Quicken...best decision I made for our finances. Great budgeting tools along with future planning. It has definately saved me from many stressful arguments.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Same thing here, like how you can set Excel up to what works best for you.

Quicken. The ability to download all transaction information from our bank and investment sites, means I dont spend huge amounts of time manually updating records. I spend about 20 minutes every Saturday morning running the downloads and it keeps our networth status, and tax status up to date. I used to do this stuff manually years ago and now, for me that level of effort is just a waste of time....I can be out golfing instead.

I use Mint, have all my accounts in there. It does a great job tracking expenses and setting budgets. I have an excel spreadsheet with certain info in it too, but Mint is great

Do you bank at Redstone? They offer a free one on their online banking

I do and honestly just tried to get more into last night. It looks like it might work well.

Thanks for the recommendations fellas. I use a spreadsheet just to track where my debt it but not for spending habits and things like that.

I used to just use a spreadsheet and manage it all myself, but Mint does all of that and more, is already built, doesn't require as much upkeep, and has an app so I can always check it on my phone. So I switched to Mint last year and love it. I do enough with spreadsheets at work, I don't mind letting someone else (Mint) do all the leg work when I'm at home.

Back