Ball striking with ball back in stance

Grogger31

Swing hard, just in case
Reaction score
Handicap
Andy,

The last couple rounds I've had one or more shots per round where I needed to keep the ball low to stay under tree limbs. To do so, I put the ball WAY back in my stance (like at my back foot if not behind), hooded the club, and kept my hands forward.

For some reason, I hit these shots really well. The contact seems perfect to me (my playing partners even commented on it), the line is perfect, ball flight exactly what I want. These shots are so much better than I normally hit my irons, which I tend to either hit somewhat fat and/or flair to the right with the ball positioned in the middle or slightly forward of middle in my stance.

I'm wondering if you think there is something to be learned from this and if you have any insight into what I should practice to try to translate this ball striking to my normal iron shots.

Let me know if my description needs clarification.

Thanks!

Grog it sounds to me like you struggle to hit down on the ball and trap it with your normal setup. If you refer to THP TV volume 4 you will see the belly button drill that will help you find the proper ball position. From here you need to learn to hit down and through the shot. I have refered to the tee drill a number of times in the forum. Place a tee about 4-6 inches to the right of the ball (right handed player) at the center of the ball (to mark where the ball is). Hit your normal shot and see where the ground is disturbed. You shouldn't see anything prior to the tee and everything should be past the tee. If you can do this you are hitting down and through the shot. You will see much more solid contact and the ball will really start to tear out of there.

Grog, I have the same issue. Can hit the short wedge shots perfectly because I play them far back & usually get a decent little divot. On my longer irons I almost never get a divot, definitely more of a picker instead of a digger & it's hard to learn that for some reason.

Thanks Andy. I'll give those drills a shot.

Back