Sears Tower Renamed

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The Sears Tower has been renamed the Willis Tower as of yesterday. It is the tallest building in the US and now the Insurance Broker has their name on it. Willis for years has been one of my better clients, so congrats to Joe Plumeri and team.

I think it may take a while to catch on. For years, people kept calling the MetLife building in NYC the Pan Am building and New Yorkers have never said Avenue of the Americas. It was and always will be 6th Avenue.

And people in Chicago call the baseball park Comiskey Park still instead of US Celluar Field. But contrags for Willis. "what you talking bout Willis"
gary-coleman.jpg

• Admin
Lets not forget though that this was only named after a dept store and not a person or something hystoric.

True, but it will always be the Sears Tower to me. Renaming something that iconic just seems silly since everyone knows it as the Sears Tower.

That'd be like slapping a new name on Wrigley Field or Yankee Stadium - no one would ever use it.

It might have been a department store, but there was a real person behind it. The Sears name is on a lot of academic buildings and such in Chicago. Plus, it was a Chicago-based department store (says she who still mourns the demise of Marshall Field & Co.).

• Admin
While that is true, if people knew the background of Willis they could say the same thing. The company is Nationally headquartered in Chicago and has done so much for that city in charities and foundations.

Back