Long Ball Hitters

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
While at the range today Tincup Tampa and I had the privilege of getting to try out a ton of drivers and clubs, but one thing we noticed for sure. We were not as good as the two people hitting with us. These two guys (andy and matt) both were blistering the ball. Andy 285 each and everytime off the tee and Matt consistently well over 300 each shot. Now these guys are scratch players and better than us, but I learned two things from hitting them.

People who say "drive for show and putt for dough" don't play with these guys. Because as Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine said "Chicks dig the long ball". LOL. It was scary and cool to see people jumping from driver to driver and getting that kind of distance. And seeing what faces are really "hot".

The 2nd thing that I learned is that I will never know how that feels and that working on my short game is as important as ever. But watching it was a lot of fun and cool and seeing all the different shafts react to scratch players so much was amazing.

• Admin
My range is hitting into water, so it is all carry. And although most people seem to say that they hit 250-270, I find it rarely true. Not consistently in the fairway anyway.

It was sick to say the least. I have never seen anything like that in person. It was completely filthy... we are talking at least 10-12 second hang time and 300 yds of carry with range balls.

I have had the rare "long" drive... but they never looked like that. Thank god for low spin drivers and low spin balls... if it werent for the roll... I'd be screwed.

:hypnotized:

Reactions: JB
  • Admin
TinCup,
Did you see how sick that guy Matt wraps up and de-coils when he unleashes the ball. It was a thing to witness that is for sure.

Both had long swings... you could see that they were going after it... but it still looked smooth and effortless.

• Admin
Just like us right? lol

JB,

I'm curious about a couple of things. (1) What was their accuracy like? (2) Were there any duffed shots?

hey JB, out of the drivers and shafts you tested, which did matt and andy think was hottest or longest? just wondering what their opinions were

JB,

I'm curious about a couple of things. (1) What was their accuracy like? (2) Were there any duffed shots?

Not a single duff.... High draw... everytime.

JB,

Their accuracy was amazing. They are not "long drive guys". They are great golfers.

hey JB, out of the drivers and shafts you tested, which did matt and andy think was hottest or longest? just wondering what their opinions were

Matt preferred the Nickent out of the ones we tested, but was killing the Dimension Z. Andy hit the Ping G10 the longest with Nickent being a close 2nd.

ping g10 had the tfc 129 in it?

Yes it did.

i see. interesting. its obviously my swing, cuz i play that exact driver except a 10.5 and neutral, and i used to crush it. now i hit it decent but the spark is gone

Back