Jimmyboy

lookin' for results!
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok. i am really struggling with my putting right now. Right now my putts per round average around 35.8 putts per round (1.98 putts per hole). I currently play 18 holes 5 times a week and spend 5 min practicing putting before my round and 15 to 20 mins practicing after my round.

Problem areas: Putting consistency (too many toe and heal strikes), Getting ball started on intended line, Reading greens (kinda embrassing saying this but it's the truth), Leaving putts short and finally shorter putts.

Right now i'm working on (1)keeping my head very still, (2) straight back straight through putting style .... try to shorten my backstroke?

My goal is to get a putting average of 32 putts per round.

Can you give me some sort of practice outline that will help me to achieve my goals.

Thanks

Jimmy I like the idea of shortening the back swing. To do that and to work on the straight back straight through put 2 clubs down on the green like railroad tracks. Space them just wider than the heel toe lenght of your putter. This is the visual that you need to work on the straight back and through as well as the shorter backswing. This will also help to keep the ball on your line.

Inconsistant strikes...take some band aids with you for your practice. Place them on your putter about 3/4 of an inch apart leaving the sweet spot open. Hit putts with the band aids on there. This will not only focus your eyes but if you miss hit the putt a little you will know right away!

Feel for longer putts. The best drill I have for feel on the greens is very simple. Put a couple of balls down around 20 feet from the hole. Go through your normal routine and when you feel ready to pull the trigger I want you to look up at the hole and make your stroke while looking at the hole. I have found this works so well that I make my practice swings while looking at the hole. This gets the eyes mind and body working together and after a few putts you will be amazed at how well you start to feel the putts.

The short putts will be helped by the straight back and through drills mentioned earlier.

Reading greens...I can give you an overview for now. Start reading the green as you approach it. Look for the highest and lowest spot on the green as you come to it. Once you have those 2 spots you already have a feel for the way the green rolls and a good feel for what it does. Next from behind your ball look at the hole and try to figure out which side of the cup is higher. This will let you know a lot about the putt. with those couple of things you should be able to roll one down there close. 1 last piece of advice for you if time on the green allows always read the putt from the low side. Meaning read the putt up hill not downhill. So if you have a downhill putt go to the other side of the hole and read the putt from the hole back to your ball. I hope this helps and let me know if there is more that I can do to help.

Hope it's OK to post.I don't know if this helps him but I tried your advice and it sure helped me Love this forum:clap:

Thanks for the kind words texas.

Just my $0.02 worth. Another drill to get the ball rolling on your intended line is to put a ball marker, dime, etc.. about a foot in front of your ball and then practice rolling the ball over the marker.

As for the toe, and heel hits, perhaps an adjustment in your stance might help. Maybe more open or closed, after you have aimed your putter at the marker in the drill above. The putting stroke is so individualized that very few golfers, if any, actually putt the same way. Once you find what works best for you, that is the method you want to stick with.

I am one of those who are firm believers in one having their putter fitted to their stroke. Maybe a visit to your local pro shop might be in order, assuming they have a qualified fitter in their employ. :comp:

Jimmy I like the idea of shortening the back swing. To do that and to work on the straight back straight through put 2 clubs down on the green like railroad tracks. Space them just wider than the heel toe lenght of your putter. This is the visual that you need to work on the straight back and through as well as the shorter backswing. This will also help to keep the ball on your line.

Inconsistant strikes...take some band aids with you for your practice. Place them on your putter about 3/4 of an inch apart leaving the sweet spot open. Hit putts with the band aids on there. This will not only focus your eyes but if you miss hit the putt a little you will know right away!

Feel for longer putts. The best drill I have for feel on the greens is very simple. Put a couple of balls down around 20 feet from the hole. Go through your normal routine and when you feel ready to pull the trigger I want you to look up at the hole and make your stroke while looking at the hole. I have found this works so well that I make my practice swings while looking at the hole. This gets the eyes mind and body working together and after a few putts you will be amazed at how well you start to feel the putts.

The short putts will be helped by the straight back and through drills mentioned earlier.

Reading greens...I can give you an overview for now. Start reading the green as you approach it. Look for the highest and lowest spot on the green as you come to it. Once you have those 2 spots you already have a feel for the way the green rolls and a good feel for what it does. Next from behind your ball look at the hole and try to figure out which side of the cup is higher. This will let you know a lot about the putt. with those couple of things you should be able to roll one down there close. 1 last piece of advice for you if time on the green allows always read the putt from the low side. Meaning read the putt up hill not downhill. So if you have a downhill putt go to the other side of the hole and read the putt from the hole back to your ball. I hope this helps and let me know if there is more that I can do to help.

thanks i'll try this out and will get back to you with some results

Just my $0.02 worth. Another drill to get the ball rolling on your intended line is to put a ball marker, dime, etc.. about a foot in front of your ball and then practice rolling the ball over the marker.

As for the toe, and heel hits, perhaps an adjustment in your stance might help. Maybe more open or closed, after you have aimed your putter at the marker in the drill above. The putting stroke is so individualized that very few golfers, if any, actually putt the same way. Once you find what works best for you, that is the method you want to stick with.

I am one of those who are firm believers in one having their putter fitted to their stroke. Maybe a visit to your local pro shop might be in order, assuming they have a qualified fitter in their employ. :comp:

I am going to invest In a fitted putter net year prov, my putting is just as bad.

Back