LPGA tour latest news

soxngolf

back to the season
Reaction score
I figured that there would be a lot of updates coming about what the LPGA is going to be doing or what should they be doing so here is a thread where we can keep track of it all.

To start out, Golf World opinion article.
Learning A Lesson From Bivens' years
Common sense from a new Commisioner will go a long way in solving the LPGA's problems

BILL FIELDS, SENIOR EDITOR OF GOLF WORLD MAGAZINE

July 20, 2009
Beautiful day. Big gallery. Birdie putt -- a 20-footer -- on the 72nd hole by Eun-Hee Ji to win the 64th U.S. Women's Open by a shot over Candie Kung. About 90 minutes before the dramatic conclusion, Paula Creamer, still lacking a major win, was doing her Phil Mickelson thing, signing autographs for everybody, including a family of four dressed in her signature pink. Jean Reynolds, a charming Georgian not much taller than her driver, didn't win either, but did underdogs everywhere proud. The only visible shadows at Saucon Valley CC, in fact, were the ones cast by the gorgeous property's many mature trees.
As sunny as things were, the impending departure of Carolyn Bivens as LPGA commissioner provided a mostly unspoken context of uncertainty during the top event in women's golf. Most players deferred comment about Bivens' exit and the stormy four years that preceeded it. Veteran Juli Inkster was an exception, speaking candidly after her final round from the perspective of an LPGA board member who spent most nights during the Open on conference calls about the tour's future. "We've got a lot of great players who can play golf," Inkster told reporters. "We need you guys to start writing about our golf instead of all this other crap that's going on. We're going to be fine."
The prognosis for the short-term health of the LPGA isn't necessarily as good as Inkster's optimistic hopes because the Bivens era will take time to get over. Some of the damage, because of a confluence of circumstances, would have occurred on anyone's watch. But other difficulties were -- to use a phrase from another sport -- unforced errors. Too often Bivens wielded a hammer when a scalpel would have worked, no more spectacularly than early in her tenure when the LPGA changed its rules to require publications to sign over rights to their photographs shot at tour events. A media boycott ensued, just when a new wave of appealing young players was drawing attention to the tour for the right reasons.
In two decades at the helm, former PGA Tour commissioner Deane Beman rubbed many the wrong way. "I never in my wildest dreams thought being commissioner would win me a popularity contest," he said a few years ago, reflecting on his tenure. "It was about doing the right thing for the people that you're trying to build things for."
A commissioner doesn't have to be loved, but he or she must be respected. Beman's shrewd business mind and his often brusque style co-existed with a golf soul that Bivens never showed she possesses. As Beman -- often with opposition, even from his stars -- went about modernizing and upgrading his tour the way Bivens tried to transform the LPGA, his grounding in the game was hugely important. It didn't hurt, either, that he was just plain smart.
Bivens worked hard, on admirable goals such as pensions and health care for her players. "I think Carolyn got a bum rap right away because she's a woman in a man's world," Inkster said. "There's no doubt. In golf, even though you think it's a really big community, it's a small community. And she went in there [saying], 'This is the way we're going to do it,' instead of maybe taking a little softer approach."
Even when Bivens' instinct was correct -- that a mushrooming number of non-English speaking players presented a real marketing challenge in the United States for the tour -- it was negated by a proposed heavy-handed mandate that drew scorn even from those sympathetic to the problem.
Acting commissioner Marsha Evans and whomever is selected to ultimately lead the organization face difficult tasks. The schedule, which has lost seven events since 2008, has to be stabilized with particular emphasis on landing events in smaller American cities where women's golf can be a big deal. Sponsors, former or potential ones, have to be given the kind of attention Creamer was giving to her pink-clad fans. As is the Champions Tour, the LPGA is a niche sport. To re-establish itself when companies are reeling and some are hesitant to sponsor golf tournaments, the most approachable athletes in sports need to make sure they stay that way.
The LPGA's future depends on a lot of things, but talented players the public is intrigued by, and wants to root for, are a lot more important than slogans or branding. Whether the household name turns out to be Michelle Wie or someone else, the LPGA needs one. Regardless of what is going on inside the ropes, some common sense in the corner office will go a long way.

I think a lot of us agree with his end conclusion about needing a player or maybe multiple players to draw people's interest to the tour. Also, I had forgotten about the media blackout a few years ago!

Thanks soxy.

I agree with everything Juli Inkster said.

Really? I don't. Biven's problem wasn't that she was a woman in a man's world. It was that she had no sense of timing, tone, or tempo. And as to her comment that there is some great golf being played by women golfers, that may be true, but that fact is only enough to make the sport interesting to people like us, the small subset who would watch anyway. It will never cause the sport to catch fire absent other marketing forces.

AP article picked up by GC with some quotes from players we haven't really heard from before on this:
LPGA Tour Article - Golf Channel

LPGA players hopeful about future under new leader
By Associated Press

As the LPGA searches for a new commissioner, Brittany Lincicome summed up the challenge her sport faces in a dismal economy.

“We need tournaments,” said Lincicome, who won April’s Kraft Nabisco Championship. “Even if we’re playing for half the purses.”

Carolyn Bivens resigned under pressure as LPGA commissioner this week, and Marsha Evans took over as an interim replacement. The tour’s board of directors hopes to find a full-time commissioner by the end of the year.

Bivens was no stranger to controversy – she was criticized last year when she proposed an English-only policy for tour players. Now, the LPGA’s schedule is everyone’s big concern. The number of official money events dropped from 34 in 2008 to 28 this year.

“The economy was not helping Carolyn at all,” Lincicome said.

Bivens’ tenure ended after a group of players wrote a letter to the board calling for her to quit.

“I believe 100 percent she had our best interests in hand,” said Nicole Castrale, a 2007 Solheim Cup participant. “I believe that everyone involved just wants the best for our tour. … I just think that it became alarming to the players that we were losing events so quickly.”

When Lincicome won the Kraft Nabisco Championship this year, the winner’s share was $300,000 – double what it was at that tournament 10 years ago. That’s a sign of progress, but Lincicome said she’s not the only player who would be open to playing for less money – in the short term, at least – if it would help save events.

The average purse per event this year is $1.78 million, up from $1.31 million in 2004.

The tour says it has 13 events committed for 2010, including two that weren’t on this year’s schedule. The LPGA also says discussions are ongoing with 15 events from the 2009 schedule.

Still, McDonald’s is no longer sponsoring the LPGA Championship, and Paula Creamer expressed concern last month about not knowing where the major would be next year.

Creamer, who is eighth on this year’s money list, said in an e-mail this week it’s important to strengthen relationships with sponsors.

“Over the past five years, I’ve learned that there are many different priorities, goals and expectations of our various sponsors. Charity giving at the end of the week is very important to many tournament owners and sponsors that have been with us for decades,” Creamer said. “Other events have unique mission statements and objectives which are equally as important to them as well. Community pride, exposure, economic stimulation are just a few others.”

Two-time U.S. Women’s Open champion Meg Mallon called the LPGA “the best bargain in sports,” but she’s still cognizant of the financial concerns facing sponsors.

“Professional sports, especially golf, is a luxury. You don’t underestimate that when businesses are looking at us,” Mallon said last week. “I think the players are very concerned about their future, and I’m proud of them stepping up and taking an active role because this tour has always been motivated by the players, run by the players. When players take an interest, good things happen.”

Lincicome said she hopes the full-time commissioner will come from a golf background. Evans, a retired rear admiral in the Navy, began serving on the LPGA board just this year. She was on an LPGA commissioner’s advisory council in 2007 and 2008.

For now, she’ll try to reach out to players and secure tournaments despite the economic climate.

“She definitely will command respect,” Castrale said. “I know the economy is in a tough position right now. … When it’s all said and done, the sponsors see what we bring to events as players.”

The LPGA has been called the "best bargain in sports" for quite some time like Meg Mallon said. However I really have to ask "for who?" For the fans maybe. For the networks? No way, the ratings have been abysmal so far this year. For the tournies? In the future yes, but not until purses shrink and ticket sales go up.

They could be on the right track now and we hope that they can start securing tournies at appropriate venues.

I thought Lincicomb's comments were pretty solid.

I agree with Lincicome that players would probably be willing to play for smaller purses if it meant having 5 more tournaments. They can make up the money with the extra events. There has to be some way to keep the tournaments that have been with the LPGA for so many years. I don't think they really want to stop their sponsorship, I just think Biven's terms were too steep. Hopefully the new board can get that done.

Back