Barassie Links & St.Nicholas Golf Club

barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
I managed to get two rounds in this week one on Tuesday where I played Barassie Links in Troon on the West Coast and today I played St.Nicholas which is a stones throw away from Barassie on the West coast.

I played Barassie with 5 other friends so we played 2 x 3balls in a stableford format within our groups and as an overall competition. I was delighted to say that I won both my group and the overall comp however the first 7 holes were a nightmare but the remaining 11 holes I played them 3 over par which was good for not knowing the course.

Anyways more importantly the course itself was really nice, not my favourite I've played recently but it was a nice course. We played off the yellows which played at 6484 yards so by no means is it the longest but as per all links they position so many hazards in areas that every shot needs to be thought about as the roll you get is incredible so no matter your length there is a challenge for everyone.
The course condition was excellent for the middle of Feb in Scotland allowing you to play as you landed and no need for mats but for £25 per skull then thats what you expect. The course was dry and firm under foot with quite tight lies so you really had to be confident with your shots and make sure that contact was pure or you had a flyer on your hands which would run for a good while. All bunkers were in play with soft sand that were deep and a challenge to get out of especially those middle distance fairway traps.
The only area in which I was disappointed were the greens, I mean they were in good condition for the time of year but they had recently been aired so the roll was not true and bumpy which slowed the ball down and made putts very tricky.
The really like the rough on links courses as they are a challenge but not ridiculous, you can find your ball but still make a go of the hole even if you do land in the heather.
Really enjoyed this course and would play again and worth a look if you are in the area and you are thinking of a warm-up before playing Royal Troon or Western Gailes.
Sorry never managed to get some pictures but have a look on their website and you will get an idea of the course.

http://www.kbgc.co.uk

Today I managed to play a four-ball at a course not too far from the other called St.Nicholas in Ayr which is a golf club and quite a nice wee track at that. My play was a bit up and down today and I could not get going at all with a few pars being my only little run so when you play like that it's a tad more difficult to enjoy. We were invited to play by a friend as it is in home course and he managed to get us on for £10 which you can't complain about however the price was a little too good to be true as it was lift and place on the light rough to play your shot so maybe that stopped me from gaining a little momentum.
The course was also in good condition but due to the lift and place you could not get a feel of how the fairways were playing apart from looking at your run and seeing how it would possibly play. The course was not that long at 6044 yards but it was a cute little track with some tight fairways, narrow greens and blind shots which made it a tricky afternoon and compared to Barassie the greens were very quick but they had not been aired. The wind was up today and with many drives parallel to the water, houses or even the members carp park there were plenty of nervy shots to keep you on your toes.
There were two areas that disappointed me and that was the lift and place as you want to work to work your ball striking and its kinda of a cheat placing it on nice tee'd up lies but it is what it is and the other thing was that the members were not friendly at all. It kinda seemed that it was behind the times with stuck up people looking down at you but as the member who I was playing with said "plenty of people here that are stuck up and have nothing to be stuck up about". That's off putting for me as I hate that whole attitude in golf but thankfully these people seem to be the older generation and they are gradually disappearing.
As i said a nice wee track with some signature holes but i would not go out my way to play it again. As before sorry i've no pictures but have a look on their site.

http://www.prestwickstnicholas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=1

Sounds like a decent weekend. Real shame about the members though. I thought that had gone now.

Back